Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How fit is the average person in Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm relatively fit I'd say. I exercise 3/4 times a week. I can run a kilometre in about 7 and a half or 8 minutes. As a child I was much fitter but I had an injury to my foot when I was about 12 and that ruled out all sport and even walking long distances for years until I was in 5th year in school. After that I just never got back in to playing for teams.

But my apartment is on the fourth floor of my building (which is up TEN flights of stairs) and there is no lift. I have to climb them 3/4 times a day so right now that's keeping me fit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Enough, 8 minutes, yes and no, some do, do your own homework.

The average Irish person is about 5'8" and 150 lbs. They are 35 years of age. We don't know how fit they are because they don't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Fairly fit i would say, I mean id do regular workouts, some jogging and are rarely out of breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Fairly fit i would say, I mean id do regular workouts, some jogging and are rarely out of breath.

All the sugar from the sweets gives you the energy to run....for days on end I'd imagine :D

kfallon wrote: »
    All the sugar from the sweets gives you the energy to run....for days on end I'd imagine :D

lol yep! that must explain it tbh :D

lol yep! that must explain it tbh :D

Does chocolate actually cause dehydration tho? Or did I just dream I was told that before :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

scouser82 wrote: »
    When people say they can run a mile in 5 minutes do they mean 5:00, 5:29, 5:59 or what?......

You're questioning if people can run a mile in five mins yet totally neglected to pick up on the poster who said he/she can run a marathon in 18 minutes if they put the foot down?

'If I put the foot down'.....made me laugh :pac::)

kfallon wrote: »
    Does chocolate actually cause dehydration tho? Or did I just dream I was told that before :rolleyes:

oh i think it does, but if you can mix it up with some jellies then its fine! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Feeona wrote: »
    You're questioning if people can run a mile in five mins yet totally neglected to pick up on the poster who said he/she can run a marathon in 18 minutes if they put the foot down?

'If I put the foot down'.....made me laugh :pac::)

To be honest, he was just saying that in running terms it take a massive amount of effort to get from a 6minute mile to a 5minute mile and was curious to know if the 5 minute posters were actually 5mins or 5mins+

In relation to the marathon - he was referring to driving his car 26 miles in 18 minutes hence the reference to "putting the foot down"

Anything else let me know

kthanx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I exercise but I can't actually run that far because of my knees and ankles which are both in really bad shape. So the question of how quickly can you run a mile annoys me a bit, I can do an hour without stopping on a cross trainer or a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

04072511 wrote: »
    How much exercise do you do? Be honest.
    Walking from the bust station to wherever I have to go in Limerick is about all I do. Used to add up to a 30 minute walk every day when I was in college, but since I've finished my course I've been at home most days.
    How fast could you run a mile in right now?
    I walk it in about 20 minutes, so I'd say 10. Only a light jog, don't have it in me to do anything faster.
    Do Irish people participate in sport enough?
    Once they leave school, no.

oh i think it does, but if you can mix it up with some jellies then its fine! :)

Trust you to know that :D

I think the wear n' tear on my knee from playing on those Astropark pitches is gonna catch up on me in a few years time but I'd be lost without the couple of games of 5 a side a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

To be honest, he was just saying that in running terms it take a massive amount of effort to get from a 6minute mile to a 5minute mile and was curious to know if the 5 minute posters were actually 5mins or 5mins+

In relation to the marathon - he was referring to driving his car 26 miles in 18 minutes hence the reference to "putting the foot down"

Anything else let me know

kthanx

Sorry about that....I didn't know you and scouser82 were an item ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

There are stunningly beautiful Irish women and attractive men. I see plenty of nice people walking down the street everyday, however, when you go abroad you can really see that if you allow yourself to be brought down into accepting, unbeknown to you, a drop in standard, Ireland is grand. Actually, it's only when you're abroad you really see the standard of beauty compared to ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I wouldn't be able to run a mile without being in pain anyway, got an issue with my shins when running.

I could cycle a mile pretty quickly though and without too much effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'm actually fitter now since I have taken up smoking. My return to the cancer sticks happen to coincide with me getting up off my beautiful, pert backside to do some cardio style fitness thingy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I run for about an hour four days a week and I do three heavy weights sessions a week. I would say that I am very fit now, but I don't control my diet at all so I am not as good as perhaps I could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not one for exercise but do partake in a bit of walking and the trampoline but thats about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

There are stunningly beautiful Irish women and attractive men. I see plenty of nice people walking down the street everyday, however, when you go abroad you can really see that if you allow yourself to be brought down into accepting, unbeknown to you, a drop in standard, Ireland is grand. Actually, it's only when you're abroad you really see the standard of beauty compared to ours.

Whats physical attractiveness got to do with fitness levels :confused: Wayne Rooney isn't exactly Brad Pitt in the looks department but I'd say he's far superior fitness wise wouldn't you??

Please no hooker related jokes :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

So - OP - any conclusions.............

• Advertisement
Advertisement