Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas-themed stories/novels

Options
  • 15-12-2014 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently re-reading A Christmas Carol for the season that's in it. Can anyone suggest any other Christmas-themed novels or short-stories that are worth a read at this time of the year? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

I've always been an admirer of Anton Chekhov's writings. Perhaps you would like his short story 'Vanka' set on a solitary Christmas Eve in 19th century Russia. I think that the story contains a lot of hope, and is attuned to the perseverance contained within the human spirit - especially considering the time of year - in spite the odious external conditions in which the young boy happens to find himself.

"Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

http://www.eldritchpress.org/ac/vanka.html

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I'm sure I used to have a short story collection around the Christmas theme but can't put my hand on it now - I'd count Joyce's The Dead as appropriate even though its technically more 'New Year'. There is also the O Henry story - The Gift of the Magi - just the right amount of schmaltz for xmas! I think there may also have been a story by John B Keane about a drunk landing in to the midnight mass but I can't recall the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

The closest i want to get to christmas is Hogswatch :). As in the discworld novel 'The Hogfather'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

'The Corrections' by Jonathan Franzen. It's years since I read this but not sure it makes for happy Christmas reading if that's what you're after!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Another short story nomination here.
    Jeeves and the yule-tide spirit by PG Wodehouse.

It's set around a Christmas gathering and to my mind is absolutely hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Thanks for the suggestions, I read both The Gift of the Magi and The Dead years ago, I've just finished re-reading them, they are excellent.

I've also already read The Hogfather, it's excellent, I'll have to dig that out again.

I'll have to get Jeeves and the Christmas Spirit, I've never read that!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

One for the New Year, Anton Chekhov's Champagne, which is one of my favorites of his stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Post Christmas now I'm afraid, so you might not be in the festive spirit, but there's a Truman Capote story called "A Christmas Memory". It's included with many editions of Breakfast at Tiffany's and it's gorgeous, very bittersweet.

Advertisement