Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World War Books

• 19-11-2014 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a World War book for Christmas for a friend of mine. He's fanatical about the World Wars. I'd like one that has a mixture of pictures, maps and text (if possible). Could you recommend any?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

The Faces of World War 1 by Max Arthur.

The D-Day Experience by Richard Holmes. Describes events from the invasion to the liberation of Paris. Some great documents made to look from the time period enclosed within the book.

Montgomery's "First Impressions of Operation 'Overlord'" made on 1 January 1944, A U.S. poster advertising War Bonds, from maps, diaries to an edition of the 7th June "Stars and Stripes", propaganda posters, a copy of Kurt "Panzer" Meyer's Nazi Party membership book, a 50 Franc note printed in the U.S. and issued to troops for use in France, a leaflet promising "Safe Conduct" to any German soldier who carries it.

A fantastic pop-up book, really.

Richard Holmes also has a book called The Second World War In Photographs. Just full of pictures with brief descriptions.

Max Hastings is another good historian to look out for.

I've received Great Battles: Decisive Conflicts That Have Shaped History by Christer Jorgensen as a Christmas present and really enjoyed it. It begins at 490 BC so it's not a World War book but still very good with tactical maps of each battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Nolic

Thank you very much. That is extremely helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Band Of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose

Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian

Tigers In The Mud by Otto Carius

Len Deighton has some good WW2 books.

I'm reading great reviews about the Great Battles: Decisive Conflicts That Have Shaped History book. Thanks again for your help. Have you a rough idea how much it costs? I'm finding two types on Amazon. One is $5 and the other is almost $400. I understand one is paperback and the other a hardcover but $395 dollars in the difference couldn't be right!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The Regeneration Trilogy by Pat Barker.

It cuts through the bullsh!t of the First World War.

• Advertisement

I went for the Great Battles: Decisive Conflicts That Have Shaped History by Christer Jorgensen and he loves it....thanks a million for your help.

Advertisement