Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moby Dick, did anyone actually enjoy it?

• 27-01-2015 10:44pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by this thread over in After Hours, I'm curious to hear how many have read Moby Dick and enjoyed it. Certainly a lot of people in the thread mentioned seemed to struggle through it and repeated a complaint I'd already heard several times, that it at times turns into a whaling manual, which sounds pretty boring.

It's a book I've always had in the back of my mind to read, partially due to legacy, partially due to sounding like a kickass story, partially due to enjoying Edgar Allen Poe's "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket" (supposedly an inspiration for Moby Dick) and partially due to certain heavy metal bands' cracking concept albums based on the book.

However I've always been put off based on the complaints I've heard. So I put to you: did you Read Moby Dick? Did you Enjoy it? Would you recommend it?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I haven't read it yet. It has always been on my list. I always figured it was considered a classic and imagined like yourself, it would be a kickass story. After reading The Old Man And The Sea I reckoned it would be similiar although bigger in scale.

Very disappointed to read such bad reviews on this forum but I shall try it myself sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I really didn't like it, but I can't leave a book unfinished for some stupid reason. And I must admit I felt like an idiot for not 'getting it', and I suppose, in its favour, it is very ambitious and 'epic', for want of a better word.

The Old Man And The Sea is a much better read in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

read it 3 times, and have the podcast version where each chapter is read by a different person

I loved the asides into the mechanics of whaling, the clean break works better than the usual exposition methods

The old man and the sea is really just a (very very good) short story. you won't read moby dick in an evening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Call me Ismael.Excellent book.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Glad to hear some positivity! Maybe there's hope for me reading it yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Years since I read Moby Dick, it was hard to get into at first because of the obtuse language but once I got over that and I did enjoy it.

What bands had concept albums about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My father swore by this as one of the world's great books: and I did read it.
    Although very long, the individual chapters are quite short, on their separate little topics. You could think of them as wavelets on the ocean theme - the swell gathers slowly and menacingly. Lots of off-topic and humorous sidelines, too.
    You certainly wouldn't read this book in an evening but there's plenty to enjoy and also the themes are tragic and universal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Xander81

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Call me Ismael.Excellent book.

Gonna check it out. Thanks.

katemarch wrote: »
    My father swore by this as one of the world's great books: and I did read it.
    Although very long, the individual chapters are quite short, on their separate little topics. You could think of them as wavelets on the ocean theme - the swell gathers slowly and menacingly. Lots of off-topic and humorous sidelines, too.
    You certainly wouldn't read this book in an evening but there's plenty to enjoy and also the themes are tragic and universal.

Good to hear! The Chapters sound a little like The Count of Monte Cristo, a almighty lump of a book broken into a lot of small chapters.
    Years since I read Moby Dick, it was hard to get into at first because of the obtuse language but once I got over that and I did enjoy it.

What bands had concept albums about it?

Ahab's (who are very find of the book obviously) Call of the Wretched Sea and Mastodon's Leviathan are both based on Moby Dick. Ahab actually credit Melville with writing credits for some of the songs. The latter inspired this comic which has been floating around the web for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

I gave it 3 out of 5 :). Its decent as long as your not expecting a story. I mean one of the best bits is a chapter entirely about the significance of the color White, an entire chapter just about the color white!
    For me it really seems like a patchwork of different things some of the them good, some bad so it averages out.

You know there are two unofficial sequels to 'Pym' you could check out instead of Moby Dick, if you like that sort of thing.
    An Antarctic Mystery by Jules Verne and
    A Strange Discovery by Charles Romyn Dake.

Reviews of all 4 items are in my reading log http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057074266 .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Downloaded a text version a few years ago on a Saturday morning. I thought I'd just have a quick read of the first few chapters. Nope, I got well harpooned by it and next thing it was Sunday morning and I'd finished it.

wreade1872 wrote: »
    I gave it 3 out of 5 :). Its decent as long as your not expecting a story. I mean one of the best bits is a chapter entirely about the significance of the color White, an entire chapter just about the color white!

That sounds rather American Psycho-ish :D
    You know there are two unofficial sequels to 'Pym' you could check out instead of Moby Dick, if you like that sort of thing.
    An Antarctic Mystery by Jules Verne and
    A Strange Discovery by Charles Romyn Dake.
    Never heard of them, thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭nc6000

I spotted this thread so downloaded it to my Kindle to give it a go. I'm enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Don't forget there's the Coffee link too
    your (favorite/least favourite) cafe chain....

Bump :D

Finished Moby Dick this morning, and happy to say I really enjoyed it.

The random chapters on 19th century whaling and other asides, while interesting at first, got a bit tedious after a while, but I can't say they really affected my enjoyment of the book.

Thanks for the feedback which finally encouraged me to read it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I was enjoying it up until the point they got on the boat. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭nc6000

I enjoyed it although it was a bit slow at times. It was left wide open for a sequel if you ask me. ;)

nc6000 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it although it was a bit slow at times. It was left wide open for a sequel if you ask me. ;)

Dick 2: Whale Harder

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kidfromkibbly

Hope it's ok to resurrect. I've made it about half way through and enjoying it more than not. Read the reader reviews for 'Why Read Moby Dick?' by Nathaniel Philbrick and this raised some points which I'll be interested to keep in mind as I continue reading:

- The pedagogical and pedantic chapters are reflective of the obsessional nature of Ahab, as well whalers in general (of making a fortune through hunting)
    - The long stretches of uneventfulness, punctuated by the flurry of activity (such as the first lowering of boats) reflect the experience of being on a whaling ship - mostly uneventful and mundane.

Looking forward to finishing it, first novel in a long while I've managed to make time for.

Advertisement