Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to get back into reading

• 05-01-2015 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

New year, new start and all that, and one of my main goals for 2015 is to get back into reading.

There was a time that I would read 2, maybe even 3 books a week, but I can count on one hand the amount of books I read in 2014.

Between work, and the obvious distractions of the internet/tv/movies etc, I've found it increasingly difficult to make time/patience to sit down and dip my head into a book.

Have any of you faced anything similar, or are eager to get back into?

What are the best ways of doing it?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I hadn't read a book (for pleasure) for about 7 or 8 years due to secondary school and college and its ability to kill any joy you are supposed to get from reading.

The first book I read when I got back into reading was The Da Vinci Code which I read on holidays one year.

I really enjoyed it and it and Dan Browns other books brought back my love of reading as they were very easy to read and flew along.

I'd recommend you try reading something thats not too challenging and has a fast paced story.

I now am constantly reading something and its a great hobby, and who knows without the Da Vinci Code I may not have got back into reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Great stuff

Picked up 'Death of a Salesman' by Arthur Miller at lunch so I'll ease myself back into it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I don't own a smart phone/tablet so I always read in bed for about half an hour. I generally read the newspaper during lunch but sometimes if the book is really good I'll read it then too.

A friend of mine broke her phone a week before Christmas. For that week (with no phone) she read 2 books. She was amazed by the amount of time she saved by not constantly checking her phone.

I suppose you have to put aside 20 mins a day just for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Hi guys

New year, new start and all that, and one of my main goals for 2015 is to get back into reading.

There was a time that I would read 2, maybe even 3 books a week, but I can count on one hand the amount of books I read in 2014.

Between work, and the obvious distractions of the internet/tv/movies etc, I've found it increasingly difficult to make time/patience to sit down and dip my head into a book.

Have any of you faced anything similar, or are eager to get back into?

What are the best ways of doing it?

Cheers

I understand totally what you're talking about, and it can be a very frustrating thing to happen. The solution is actually very simple: stop being distracted. Switch off your phone/tv/internet and just pick up a book and start reading. If you have time to do all that stuff then you certainly have time to read a book.

Once you get going maybe you can set yourself a minimum number of pages to read every day. I actually did this last week with a book. It's over 500 pages but I decided to try for a minimum of 60 pages a day. I'm now nearly up to page 300.

In your situation I'd recommend you choose a short novel to get you going. Off the top of my head I can pick three: The Old Man and the Sea, The Road and I Am Legend (just read it last week, very enjoyable). You can easily read any of those within three days if you set your mind to it. Let us know how you're getting on!

I understand totally what you're talking about, and it can be a very frustrating thing to happen. The solution is actually very simple: stop being distracted. Switch off your phone/tv/internet and just pick up a book and start reading. If you have time to do all that stuff then you certainly have time to read a book.

Once you get going maybe you can set yourself a minimum number of pages to read every day. I actually did this last week with a book. It's over 500 pages but I decided to try for a minimum of 60 pages a day. I'm now nearly up to page 300.

In your situation I'd recommend you choose a short novel to get you going. Off the top of my head I can pick three: The Old Man and the Sea, The Road and I Am Legend (just read it last week, very enjoyable). You can easily read any of those within three days if you set your mind to it. Let us know how you're getting on!

Was actually a stocking filler this Xmas for me so maybe it's a sign :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It's a fantastic book. Forget about all the hype...just pick it up and read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Great stuff

Picked up 'Death of a Salesman' by Arthur Miller at lunch so I'll ease myself back into it :)

'Death of a Salesman' isn't exactly light reading.

Try 'Long Day's Journey Into Night' for the familial follow-up.

'Death of a Salesman' isn't exactly light reading.

Try 'Long Day's Journey Into Night' for the familial follow-up.

Never knew there was a follow up- thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I'm in a similar position as the op. I actually think that the Internet and having a smart phone have damaged my attention span :(. I find myself breaking off in the middle of reading to google stuff or take moves on my chess app. I think a good way to get back into it is to choose something compelling and a notch down from your usual caliber to ease back into it. I can't recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series enough for this. I tend to have a few books on the go at once. Atm I've got the Morrisey Autobiography, a parenting book, and Midnights Children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Never knew there was a follow up- thanks! :)

It's not a follow-up per se, but if you're into plays about dysfunctional families, it would be worth reading ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Hey Wild Bunch, I've never suffered that problem although I do read a lot more some weeks/months than others for various reasons, as was said Death of a Salesman and Long days journey are not exactly light reading, I studied them bot in college and they're good but give me a novel over a play anyday. It sounds like you were an avid reader at one stage so you know what you like obviously.
    I know you are a football fan so I just thought I'd point out that it's been a very good year for sports books, perhaps something that interested you in particular would get you out of your slump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I go through stages of reading and not reading, as others have suggested reading something light always gets me back reading again. I found A Death of a Salesman easy to read even though there is a lot of substance to it. Thats the perfect type of literature to get yourself back into reading I think.
    I also find reading different types of literature good for keeping me reading. I've recently been reading a lot of plays which I never used to do, I'm really enjoying the different format. I also love graphic novels, my library has a brilliant collection, I'd happily sit an read an entire graphic novel in one sitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I found joining a book club imposed a discipline with regard to reading on to me. Perhaps you could do something similar; there are plenty of online ones if you haven't the time to meet up and you could just follow their schedule? Or come up with a schedule of your own?

I hadn't read a book (for pleasure) for about 7 or 8 years due to secondary school and college and its ability to kill any joy you are supposed to get from reading.

I have to do a lot of heavy reading in work and it really does suck the will to read for pleasure out of you, but it's worth the effort.

If I was trying to get back to reading after a long absence, I'd go for something interesting, but light and humorous - anything by Bill Bryson would be good for a start.

If you want something different then The Road is a fantastic read, although I Am Legend is a faster and easier read if that suits better. I think a little effort over a week or so will help re-form the habit.

Also, try Goodreads.com for recommendations and to organise your reading list, or just to browse and see what people are talking about reading, if a more formal bookclub isn't your thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I've also gone the book club route and finding it keeps me on track so to speak. A bonus I find with reading is that it seems to stretch out a lazy saturday or sunday that might have otherwise been spent just looking at the tv (or doing the hoovering/grocery shopping/etc.). As mentioned above a short book isn't necessarily an indicator of an easy read but you can give some books a superficial or in-depth reading depending depending on your level of interest. I find that books with short chapters can be got through quite quickly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Joining a book group is a good suggestion to kickstart your reading. I use goodreads to keep track of my reading. I generally try to read about 50 60 books a year. When I started back to reading after enforced reading at university I chose short books, plays and light novels at first, stuff that I knew I'd enjoy nothing too philosophical, or rigorous.

Advertisement