Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs in my head ruining my reading pleasure...help!

Options
  • 05-01-2015 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else experienced this? I listen to a lot of music and I usually find songs hang around in my head while I'm doing everyday things. But once I start reading a book it disappears and I can concentrate on the reading. But lately I'm finding it increasingly hard to keep my focus on the book because the songs won't disappear from my head. I just did a quick search and saw stuff about auditory hallucinations and so-called ear worms and I'm wondering if this is what's going on now.

It's usually the last song I've been listening to that hangs around but it's not always the case. I'm still able to get through a book but a couple of times I've just put it down because I found it so frustrating. Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Read Nick Hornby. He'll suit you down to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

maybe because you're concentrating so hard on NOT trying to hear songs in your head that its actually having an opposite effect?

i find if say, I'm being shown how to do something, and I'm concentrate so hard on trying to concentrate..that I actually end up not registering anything. It goes in one ear and out the other.

Saying that, I have the attention span of a flea.. :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps read with music in the background. Fire to drive out Fire strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Read Nick Hornby. He'll suit you down to the ground.

I'm not sure what you mean, it's not the type of reading that's the issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Manach wrote: »
    Perhaps read with music in the background. Fire to drive out Fire strategy.

I doubt I could have proper music in the background but I did have some background sounds on yesterday while I was trying to study something and it seemed to work.

Although as my study involved a bit of writing that in itself probably helped me to focus more! Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

This happens to me sometimes but usually if I've been listening to music a lot and especially right before reading. Only way I've found to stop it is just to listen to less music I'm afraid!

Advertisement