Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gift Book Suggestions

• 01-12-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for some suggestions for gift books for my girlfriend for Christmas.
    She is currently undertaking a challenge of reading 30 books before she turns 30 in a few months and
    I'd like to get her a few books. Something special like a special edition or leatherbound.

There are loads of lovely looking books out there but the usual judging a book by its cover applies here.
    She mentioned recently that she would like to read some of the previous Man Booker prize winners but I haven't a clue.
    Maybe some old classic or some modern classic or something like that?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

The list could be endless, hope you realise this!

I'd recommend some classics like The Railway Children, Animal Farm, Little Women, perhaps? Easy light reads. Also Alex Garland's The Beach- excellent.
    James Frey A million little pieces is one of my all time favourites.

William Goldman's The Princess Bride is an unusual style of writing and I couldn't imagine anyone not enjoying it.

As for Man Booker prize winners- some I've read have been an ordeal, rather than an enjoyable experience - I can recommend DBC Pierre's Vernon God Little, that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes won the booker prize and is a terrific book.Its very short and easy to read aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColumnLunch

The list could be endless, hope you realise this!

Thanks for the great suggestions. Yep I kinda figured it's a tough one but at least I have a starting point now :)

I found some penguin clothbound classics on amazon that look lovely so might pick up a few of them and then something like James Frey A million little pieces and The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

If you're based in Dublin, I've seen nice hardbound copies of Stoner by John Williams in Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street. Not only is it an excellent read, these were really nice grey clothe-covered books.

There are also some aesthetically pleasing editions of John Steinbeck novels published by Penguin (albeit in paperback) which might fit the bill e.g. http://www.bookdepository.com/Mice-Men-John-Steinbeck/9780241952481
    http://www.bookdepository.com/East-Eden-John-Steinbeck/9780241952498

A last source of very nice books is the publisher Pushkin Press Again they are paperbacks, but they are really high quality books. I've gotten a few Antal Szerb books they've published and have heard very good reviews of In The Beginning Was The Sea by Tomas Gonzalez.

Actually I also recall seeing some very striking books with solid primary colour covers with the page edges in the same colour, I believe they were some anniversary editions. I can't recall what books or what publisher it was however hopefully someone may remember these.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Penguin do some really nice hardback cloth bound covers for some of the "classic" books.

The do a few sets like Dickens and Austen but they've a fairly wide range of individual books too.

http://www.penguin.com/static/pages/classics/hardcoverclassics/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

If she doesn't read much normally I dunno would I recommend A Million Little Pieces...it's a bit of a Marmite book I think, either love it or hate it! (I hated it)

The Time Traveler's Wife was a nice one, a bit unusual...Ian McEwan has a good few that I loved and they weren't that long. You could try a few classics by the Brontes? Or Great Expectations by Dickens - I thought that would be a much harder read than it was.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Come on then, what did you get her?

Advertisement