Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Good News Story] Limerick's Quiet Revolution

Options
  • 07-12-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

There was an awful picture of Limerick painted lastnight on RTÉ, but an unlikely source has given a great review to "Limerick's Quiet Revolution"
    Across the campus, there is a sense among staff and students that it is those who opt to stay away from UL who are losing out. Indeed, one of the defining characteristic of UL is the infectious enthusiasm of staff and students for the place.

There is a messianic zeal to tell you about this development or that. They want you to shed those negative, ill-informed prejudices about Limerick and its environs. And, bursting with pride, they want to tell you about the wonders of their university.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/education/2010/1207/1224284916348.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Interesting article, UL is a great facility for Limerick and the midwest, I dread to think what Limerick would be like without it.

Slowly but surely it's starting to integrate with the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

whistling in the dark...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

In fairness I completely agree with what you quoted.

Pretty much all my college friends (I went to UL) will strongly defend UL, people from Kerry, Cork, Clare, Galway, Mayo, Longford, Meath etc. etc.

I myself moved here when I was 18 in 2001 and 9 years later I'm still here. I will be the first to state that Limerick has it's problems (these I believe need to be highlighted in order to receive resources to tackle these problems e.g. the Regional Support Unit etc.) but it's nice too to be able to highlight something good like UL.

UL has been brilliant for Limerick, alongside Munster, they have been great ambassadors for Limerick.

In some ways UL and the council estates are mirrors of the new and the old Limerick. The council estates are/were homes to the working class Limerick that was destroyed by the economic war with Britain, the availability of cheap imports and the general decline of traditional industry right across Ireland and the UK.

UL has really gathered pace in the last decade, as the council estates have really started to come apart. Things like the medical school, the architecture school and the business school provide a different future for Limerick. I just about remember when UL was still an NIHE, with prefabs etc. Tbh, the progress made in the last twenty years, and the last 10 in particular is almost hard to believe.

In general, all strata of education has improved in Limerick in the last decade. New gaelscoileanna and a gael colaiste, refurbished LIT, new campus for the Art college as well as the improvements to UL.

My only bugbear is Mary I, think it's unnatural to have a campus like it in a modern Ireland. I'd love to see it shut and a proper Arts facility opened in UL.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My only bugbear is Mary I, think it's unnatural to have a campus like it in a modern Ireland. I'd love to see it shut and a proper Arts facility opened in UL.

In fairness to Mary I, the place is unrecognisable from when I first saw it 5 years ago. Tailteann (the new gym) and Teamhair (the new building) are fantastic, and the place is rapidly improving. Once the old pre-fabs are moved and the car-park is expanded, Mary I will be something to be very proud of too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

the university according to that article is currently constructing one of Europe’s largest all-weather pitch..anyone hear more about that?

In fairness to Mary I, the place is unrecognisable from when I first saw it 5 years ago. Tailteann (the new gym) and Teamhair (the new building) are fantastic, and the place is rapidly improving. Once the old pre-fabs are moved and the car-park is expanded, Mary I will be something to be very proud of too.

I'm sure the campus can be or has been physically improved but i think it's weird to have a largely single-sex teachers college in modern Ireland. For example, I know women who went to all girls schools from first class to leaving cert, then they go to Mary I and are now teaching kids, just think that's a slightly weird background.

I'd much rather the students in Mary I were introduced to a broader student cohort in UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

dave 27 wrote: »
    the university according to that article is currently constructing one of Europe’s largest all-weather pitch..anyone hear more about that?

http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/663056266.pdf

Page 3

to be honest it'll be difficult to attract an operator for the café as there are so many places to eat on campus that it's almost impossible to make money.

At the most recent count there were just over 2 million square feet of buildings on 332 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Been loving my Study Abroad here, but can't wait to get back to UL now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'm sure the campus can be or has been physically improved but i think it's weird to have a largely single-sex teachers college in modern Ireland. For example, I know women who went to all girls schools from first class to leaving cert, then they go to Mary I and are now teaching kids, just think that's a slightly weird background.

I'd much rather the students in Mary I were introduced to a broader student cohort in UL.

That is quite the outlandish statement. I attended U.L. and yes while it is a great campus, I found it to be a horrible impersonal place. You are just a number out there. I transferred to Mary I and it was a revelation, no comparison whatsoever. Very welcoming place and a genuine sense of community on campus. Obviously the size of the campus helps but I think it is more than that. Yes there are more women but the ratio isn't so big as to label it as a single sex college. Plenty of guys go there and I certainly don't hear them complaining about it.

You'd swear that some of the women you are taking about have never seen a man before.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I love UL and all the goings on around the campus! and ever expanding. the staff (that I have come across) are friendly and approachable. Pity about the exams tho:o

RonMexico wrote: »
    That is quite the outlandish statement. I attended U.L. and yes while it is a great campus, I found it to be a horrible impersonal place. You are just a number out there. I transferred to Mary I and it was a revelation, no comparison whatsoever. Very welcoming place and a genuine sense of community on campus. Obviously the size of the campus helps but I think it is more than that. Yes there are more women but the ratio isn't so big as to label it as a single sex college. Plenty of guys go there and I certainly don't hear them complaining about it.

You'd swear that some of the women you are taking about have never seen a man before.:D

Maybe, I just think it's an outdated form of college. It always struck me as more of a school than a university.

Did you go there yourself? Just wondering.

I can tell you one thing. The "college experience" has little to do with fancy buildings and a pretty campus.

Mary I has the same sort of exams as U.L., lecture halls, clubs and societies, etc etc. There might not be a pub on campus but Scotts and Fenners are literally across the road.

People go on and on about the facilities in U.L. but as a professional coach potato they made feck all of a difference to me.

I had a wild time in Mary I - great fun and studied abroad for a year out of it too, best year of my life. Can't talk about that though, I'd have to kill you :pac:

Did you go there yourself? Just wondering.

I can tell you one thing. The "college experience" has little to do with fancy buildings and a pretty campus.

Mary I has the same sort of exams as U.L., lecture halls, clubs and societies, etc etc. There might not be a pub on campus but Scotts and Fenners are literally across the road.

People go on and on about the facilities in U.L. but as a professional coach potato they made feck all of a difference to me.

I had a wild time in Mary I - great fun and studied abroad for a year out of it too, best year of my life. Can't talk about that though, I'd have to kill you :pac:

Didn't go there, went to NUIG, have a few friends who went there and they painted it as a fairly homogenous place. I think the best part of university is the diversity you can encounter, not sure that's the case in Mary I, maybe I'm way off.

I'd rather UL had a proper Arts facility out in Castletroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Here is some more info from a press release a while back...not sure if the pavillion part is being built.....

50 construction jobs have been created as a result of the contract signing today for the development of state of the art, all weather sports pitches and a Sports Pavilion Building of the North campus of the University of Limerick. The development, which includes a full sized GAA pitch, two soccer pitches and a rugby pitch, all fully floodlit, is due for completion in September 2011 in time for the 2011/2012 academic year. The Pavilion Building comprises changing rooms, squad rooms, coaching rooms, together with bar, restaurant and conference facilities. The development will cost €9m, which will be funded from a number of sources including income raised from the operation of the facility and from funding generated from campus based commercial activities.
    The University of Limerick has a proud tradition of providing excellent sports facilities for its students, staff and the wider community. The University Arena, with Ireland's first Olympic sized pool, a boathouse with Ireland's only indoor powered rowing tank, an outdoor all weather athletic facilities and numerous field sports pitches are just some of the facilities available.

I think the best part of university is the diversity you can encounter, not sure that's the case in Mary I, maybe I'm way off.

I'd rather UL had a proper Arts facility out in Castletroy.

You might have been right a few years ago but it really is not the same these days. I graduated from Mary I in 2006 and the place has been transformed since then. I work there now as a tutor and I have students in my classes from France, Germany, Austria, Australia, Spain, America, Eritrea and Poland to name just a few.

What is wrong with the Arts facility in U.L. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

swim2 wrote: »

Here is some more info from a press release a while back...not sure if the pavillion part is being built.....

50 construction jobs have been created as a result of the contract signing today for the development of state of the art, all weather sports pitches and a Sports Pavilion Building of the North campus of the University of Limerick. The development, which includes a full sized GAA pitch, two soccer pitches and a rugby pitch, all fully floodlit, is due for completion in September 2011 in time for the 2011/2012 academic year. The Pavilion Building comprises changing rooms, squad rooms, coaching rooms, together with bar, restaurant and conference facilities. The development will cost €9m, which will be funded from a number of sources including income raised from the operation of the facility and from funding generated from campus based commercial activities.
    The University of Limerick has a proud tradition of providing excellent sports facilities for its students, staff and the wider community. The University Arena, with Ireland's first Olympic sized pool, a boathouse with Ireland's only indoor powered rowing tank, an outdoor all weather athletic facilities and numerous field sports pitches are just some of the facilities available.
    There's a lot of unhappiness in UL about the new pitch. The University are pumping all their money into that rather than improve the existing pitches like the ones nearest Plassey Park Road. Clubs & Socs will be behind private companies, professional teams and the paying public for use of the pitch too, so while Joe Private Citizen will be able to rent use of the facilities at a premium the students will have to continue to risk injury on the Maguires pitches. More details here -> http://issuu.com/ulsu/docs/anfocal8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

One thing I hate about MIC, as a current student, is that something like €16 million was spent on the Tara Building while the area from the Art Room, that includes the Computer Room, G37, G38 and the locker area is appalling.

The living roof:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 davidmichael

Obviously the students will be able to use the new pitches as they are being used for all weather purposes as when maguires floods. should they have placed these pitches on maguires? of course! but hey, they pay people big money to make sense of bad decisions

• Advertisement

Furthering my belief that Ireland can do without a religious run Mary I and that it should be closed and moved to UL, a teacher training college that favours religion over science, so much for leaving the 50's behind.

http://newswhip.ie/national-2/limerick-teacher-teaching-college-favouring-religion-over-science

You are advocating the closure of an entire college based on the shortcomings of ONE of its courses.

Instead of maybe rectifying the issues within that course?

Unbelievable. :eek:

And just so you know, I am an atheist. Knee-jerk reactions are not helpful, especially when they lead to the loss of more jobs in a city that is already decimated by employment.

Mary I is a fantastic college and there is a lot more to it than the religious element of the B.Ed. course.

EDIT: Did you read any of the comments I made in this thread? Your impression of Mary I is way off the mark.

You are advocating the closure of an entire college based on the shortcomings of ONE of its courses.

Instead of maybe rectifying the issues within that course?

Unbelievable. :eek:

And just so you know, I am an atheist. Knee-jerk reactions are not helpful, especially when they lead to the loss of more jobs in a city that is already decimated by employment.

Mary I is a fantastic college and there is a lot more to it than the religious element of the B.Ed. course.

EDIT: Did you read any of the comments I made in this thread? Your impression of Mary I is way off the mark.

I want it properly absorbed by UL, it's bizarre that a religious institution still has any sway over our third level education system.

What is bizarre is your perception of Mary I. You really don't know what you are talking about.

Not once did I have any kind of religious instruction there. You are trying to paint it as if it is some kind of monastery.

What is bizarre is your perception of Mary I. You really don't know what you are talking about.

Not once did I have any kind of religious instruction there. You are trying to paint it as if it is some kind of monastery.

Maybe I'm way off, nothing I've seen from Mary I has changed my perception though, and reports that religion comes ahead of science just confirm my views.

Integrate it fully with UL and get rid of the old religious teacher training colleges like Mary I and St. Pats.

Look I suggest you talk to people that currently attend the college. The B.Ed. course is only part of the place, the religious element of which will no doubt now be changed. The other courses have no religious element unless you want to study theology.

Look I suggest you talk to people that currently attend the college. The B.Ed. course is only part of the place, the religious element of which will no doubt now be changed. The other courses have no religious element unless you want to study theology.

My perceptions are based on my friends (who've been students there) opinions of the place.

Each to their own, you didn't like a larger university, I find smaller ones creepy.

Yes but your friends perception is arguably no longer valid as the college has changed so much in the past two years. I graduated from the B.A. course there in 2006. I am now in my final year as a Ph.D. student and the place is virtually completely different.

Advocating the closure of the entire college based on a flaw with the B.Ed. course is madness.

I could find many problems with U.L. but I would hardly suggest that a solution would be to close it down.

Anyway I have said all that I want to say.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Amazotheamazing, as someone who has just graduated from Mary I as a teacher (male and atheist SHOCK HORROR) let me assure you that every time you have said "maybe I'm way off"...

You have been completely correct. You are WAY off. Your hearsay from your friends is out of date, and you should probably stop arguing for the closure/absorption of a college you have never attended and one which has changed so much these past few years. Never mind the change which is yet to come.

• Advertisement
Advertisement