Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you try to be nice...

Options
  • 23-04-2008 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭

but it's just slammed back in your face.

so today i was walking home from work on a very average size path with cars parked on the kerb. As i was walking down the path i noticed a woman was coming up in the opposite direction, i pulled into one side between a gap in the cars parked on the path just so we wouldn't of had to squeeze passed each other, as she walked towards me she gave me a dirty look and as she got to me she said: "i'm not that big". well my face was like :eek:, she wasn't big at all in fact Victoria Beckham would be an elephant in her eyes.

what's with people these days, you try to be nice make their day a little less hassle free and they throw it back right back in your face.

anyone else have any other examples.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Pics? Maybe she wanted some body heat...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Cremo wrote: »
    but it's just slammed back in your face.

so today i was walking home from work on a very average size path with cars parked on the kerb. As i was walking down the path i noticed a woman was coming up in the opposite direction, i pulled into one side between a gap in the cars parked on the path just so we wouldn't of had to squeeze passed each other, as she walked towards me she gave me a dirty look and as she got to me she said: "i'm not that big". well my face was like :eek:, she wasn't big at all in fact Victoria Beckham would be an elephant in her eyes.

what's with people these days, you try to be nice make their day a little less hassle free and they throw it back right back in your face.

anyone else have any other examples.

Yore Ma, yada yada yada, just to get it out of the way.

Meh.... you should have just laughed and asked whcih one of them said that. feed the insurities, I saw. It's what they want.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Aww Cremo. She sounds a little defensive to be perfectly honest. Wouldn't be surprised if she had body image issues. You said she was thinner than Victoria Beckham and she turned your nice gesture into an attack on her weight. She obviously has issues! Don't worry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I rang a customer from work today, he had left a CD in a car (lionels Ritchies greatest hits- whatever floats your boat!!), we dont normally bother ringing cos so many people do it, but I was in a good mood today. Anyway, his wife answered his phone and I explained why I was ringing. She very rudely said to me 'well I don't know why you bothered ringing he obviously hasn't missed it or he would of contacted you'. I was fuming afterwards, so goddamn rude..

People are changing I think, politeness seems to have gone out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Apparently I'm too nice and it annoys my girlfriend. I won't go into details as it's long and boring but being 'nice' has gotten me into trouble loads of times. It's really beginning to bug me at this stage. She wants me to be less nice but I don't like it.

It's hard work being nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm with sherifu actually. Maybe she just wanted a good body-to-body :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"i'm not that big".

"yeah, but there's an awful bang offa ye" is the obvious answer...

I rang a customer from work today, he had left a CD in a car (lionels Ritchies greatest hits- whatever floats your boat!!), we dont normally bother ringing cos so many people do it, but I was in a good mood today. Anyway, his wife answered his phone and I explained why I was ringing. She very rudely said to me 'well I don't know why you bothered ringing he obviously hasn't missed it or he would of contacted you'. I was fuming afterwards, so goddamn rude..

In the majority of people yes, yes it has unfortunately. I've been working in retail for 6 years and in that time I've seen quite a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I am sick of being nice:

hold doors open, no thanks, to which I shout "your welcome" after the ingrates

pull into to let cars come across narrow streets, even though they are driving on my side of the road and they don't salute? W**kers. If anybody stays coming when there was a space to pull in I make it my business to stay driving and make them reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

eo980 wrote: »
    Apparently I'm too nice and it annoys my girlfriend. I won't go into details as it's long and boring but being 'nice' has gotten me into trouble loads of times. It's really beginning to bug me at this stage. She wants me to be less nice but I don't like it.

It's hard work being nice!

Jesus, dont change yourself for anyone.. Stick with it Dude, its who you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I've stopped being nice to customers because in general, they are stupid and annoy me. I'm never rude back to them, but simply let them rant, and then say 'Thanks for that, k bye!'

I can't remember (outside of work) anyone intentially snubbing my kind gestures.

Actually, what I find fcuking annoying is when I hold a door open for a woman, and she insists that I go in first, thereby redressing the gender balance - or whatever she thinks she's doing. I hold the frickin door open for anyone I'm walking beside, man, woman, kid, priest. Some wimmins need to take their heads out of their ass's.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

I live pretty far into the country and even if you're walking on the road and stand in you get a salute. But I was in Dublin a few weeks ago and I did find that people were less friendly than at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sorry about that OP.

She sounds like a real nice one.

You should have given her a nice sharp reply like..

No, you're not that big, but i was trying to dive begind the car because the glare off your sloped forehead was blinding me,

Have a nice day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I wonder how long it will take for some asshole to make up some crap defending people who don't acknowledge mannerly gestures or throw them in your face.

Yeah, the lack of gratitude when you pull in/stop for someone is a regular one.

A guy stopped in his car and asked me for directions the other day. Before I had even finished my last sentence he drove off. Weirdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Same with the buggys tbh. Having used one for my two before I always appreciated it when I had a bit of a squeeze and someone stepped out of the way or held a door so I could get through - almost to the point of apology for existing! Now the kids are a bit older, Im always sure to do the same for other women. There are some that will be the same as I was.. and then there are the others that wont look at you, let alone say thanks. As if the world has to pay for the fact that they have to push a fcuking pram.

I would have shouted back - 'fuck you then, you paranoid witch', followed promptly by breaking into song.. ' IIIIIIII liiiiiikke BIG BUTTS and I cannot lie.......' + dancing ;)

Fcuk her cremo. They are her issues, not yours.

Dudess wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will take for some asshole to make up some crap defending people who don't acknowledge mannerly gestures or throw them in your face.

Yeah, the lack of gratitude when you pull in/stop for someone is a regular one.

A guy stopped in his car and asked me for directions the other day. Before I had even finished my last sentence he drove off. Weirdo.

Maybe he fancied you but just couldn't work up the courage and so drove off in a nervous flutter! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Abigayle wrote: »
    Same with the buggys tbh. Having used one for my two before I always appreciated it when I had a bit of a squeeze and someone stepped out of the way or held a door so I could get through - almost to the point of apology for existing! Now the kids are a bit older, Im always sure to do the same for other women. There are some that will be the same as I was.. and then there are the others that wont look at you, let alone say thanks. As if the world has to pay for the fact that they have to push a fcuking pram.

I would have shouted back - 'fuck you then, you paranoid witch', followed promptly by breaking into song.. ' IIIIIIII liiiiiikke BIG BUTTS and I cannot lie.......' + dancing ;)

Fcuk her cremo. They are her issues, not yours.
    but I'm too nice :P, I wouldn't be able to say that sort of stuff to a complete stranger that I don't know. I wouldn't want to stoop to her level tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Cremo wrote: »
    but I'm too nice :P, I wouldn't be able to say that sort of stuff to a complete stranger that I don't know. I wouldn't want to stoop to her level tbh.

Ach but Im nice too. I do my bit fur the people. But its nothing to do with stooping to anyones level tbh. It would make me laugh, but she probably gets away with that kind of behaviour all the time. Everyone deals with this kind of stuff differently. My mindset would be to show her up for how irrational she really is.

It bothered you enough to set up a thread Cremo. If she walked past you again, would you deal with it any different do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

eo980 wrote: »
    Maybe he fancied you but just couldn't work up the courage and so drove off in a nervous flutter! :eek:

...or maybe he thought she was worth chatting up till he got within 5 ft :pac:

As for the lady in the OP, she sounds like she was doing what up themselves women do best, trying to embarass you whilst fishing for some sort of compliment as to their outward appearance. Next time walk on past and do a bad job of squeezing past them... in a cock toward them fashion...you could drool for some added effect but that's entirely optional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Old people are definitely rude. Especially auld ones who jump the ques, whats with that?
    Rude and smell of turnips.
    Euthanasia is the thing for them.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    ...or maybe he thought she was worth chatting up till he got within 5 ft :pac:

Heh Heh Heh........ evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

caoibhin wrote: »
    Old people are definitely rude. Especially auld ones who jump the ques, whats with that?

C'ommon caoibhin, be nice.

Old people need a little understanding, patience and respect from us.

They were young once too, and hopefully we will live long enough to be old one day too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A good deed never goes unpunished.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Some people are obnoxious when it comes to walking on footpaths. I hate when I'm walking towards two people next to each other on a footpath that only hold two at a time and they just keep walking forcing me on to the road.

No that's fine, you continue your meaningless chat and I'll get myself knocked down here.

I ALWAYS mutter 'wagons' when this happens.

It's like when people walk two-by-two on roads with oncoming traffic, it's obnoxious. One of these days I might forget to pull out and then you'll be sorry!

Except that I'm too nice to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

snyper wrote: »
    Sorry about that OP.

She sounds like a real nice one.

You should have given her a nice sharp reply like..

No, you're not that big, but i was trying to dive begind the car because the glare off your sloped forehead was blinding me,

Have a nice day.

Thats class!!
    The OP really should have had replied back with something like this!:D

As to not spam,
    Once my friend got given out to by this old lady who actually got in his way... She gave out to my friend for getting in her way while it was she who walked into my friend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Trying to get out of the IFSC in the morning to get to the train station is a fúcking nightmare. Is there a one way system in place I don't know about? Am I supposed to stand back and let the suits who are so full of their own importance barge past? It's unreal. The same in the train station.

The luas is another one that amazes me. People at the stop trying to ram their way on to a packed luas without letting people off first. So fúcking stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

caoibhin wrote: »

Ah come on now Caoibhin, they're running out of time in life so can hardly waste the precious moments they have left standing in a queue.
    Chinafoot wrote: »
    The luas is another one that amazes me. People at the stop trying to ram their way on to a packed luas without letting people off first. So fúcking stupid.

Very true. I f*cking hate those people, along with the people who'll try their very best to squeeze into an already visibly packed tram. I wish they'd bring restrictions in as to how many people are let on as the commuting in the morning/evening on them is a horrible experience as is, particularly during the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

rb_ie wrote: »
    Very true. I f*cking hate those people, along with the people who'll try their very best to squeeze into an already visibly packed tram. I wish they'd bring restrictions in as to how many people are let on as the commuting in the morning/evening on them is a horrible experience as is, particularly during the summer months.

Add me to the list of folks who hate those twits too.

As to the OP, people wonder why manners and chivalry are on the out? It's ignorant folks like this who actually take offence at people showing them some consideration that are killing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jenny-walsh

Heh heh. I had to do that in work once. Customer had a CD stuck in the radio and left it in for repair. I called to explain it had to be sent away yadda yadda we'd get out the CD and post it back, he said NO! It's his wife's CD, Celine Dion's greatest hits...so if it accidentally get's smashed to bits or "lost" don't worry about it. heh heh! He figured she'd buy a new one eventually but he'd get a few day's peace while she waited for it to be "returned". Poor man!

• Advertisement
Advertisement