Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist in Clare

Options
  • 02-09-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Shameful to say I've not YET been to the Cliffs of Moher, nor Aillwee Caves but will do on my day off tomorrow. I am off the next two days and heading for Clare.

Would the Burren National Park be something worthwhile to visit also? Bringing an overnight bag in event I don't get to see all I want to see, and end up just booking into some random location on my travels to complete the touristy-sight-seeing the following day.
    Otherwise I'll be back home for other random travels the following day.

Any tips or suggestions, don't hesitate.

Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Shameful to say I've not YET been to the Cliffs of Moher, nor Aillwee Caves but will do on my day off tomorrow. I am off the next two days and heading for Clare.

Would the Burren National Park be something worthwhile to visit also? Bringing an overnight bag in event I don't get to see all I want to see, and end up just booking into some random location on my travels to complete the touristy-sight-seeing the following day.
    Otherwise I'll be back home for other random travels the following day.

Any tips or suggestions, don't hesitate.

Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

I'd go to the cliffs first, then last Ferry to Inis Oirr from Doolin, spend the night there, then the Burren on the way home. All good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

To add - take coast road from Doolin through Fanore to Ballyvaughan and onto the Ailiwee caves.

Also consider a stop in Lisdoonvarna for the matchmaking festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

There is a nice walking trail (green road) at Blackhead.

It runs parallel with the coast road but higher above it with some great views!

My tip would be to park at the Fanore beach carpark.

Then walk at first along the coast road in the direction of Ballyvaughan.

You will soon meet a bridge and a road that turns right.

Keep going along the main coastal road for another mile or so until you meet a boreen lane on your right, which will take up you along the Blackhead trail.

I walked it with my family 3 years ago but it would do no harm to ask again locally about it.

blackhead.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I have to agree with Brennans Row this is one of my favorite places on earth. Especially when the sun is shining great for the soul. But watch out for Donegal Kerry4Sam but enjoy Clare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thanks so much for your tips & suggestions in here :)

Just wish I could swallow a dictionary to write some coherent, positive writtings to do what I saw today justice. Simply Inspiring Beauty!

Started off en route to the Cliffs (of Moher) where I opted for the Coastal Walk and avoided the tourist-depot further down the road.
    ~> Doolin where I phoned a cruise company about the next boat-trip viewing the Cliffs from the Atlantic Ocean to be luckily informed by Joe that next leaving was in 5mins and he waited for me to park and walk down to them. Such a lively chap; very bubbly and positive! Simply beautiful boat-trip
    ~> Coastal Road to Ballyvaughan to the Aillwee Caves. Just wow! Guide Dominic there was such a jolly happy person. Cracking sense of humour.
    ~ The Burren! Such isolation. Such Beauty.
    ~ Stopped at random churches; forts; castles; ruins also that I hadn't known about until today.

/I washed my car when I came home and avoided any scratches or scrapes. Some unreal driving out there; some loveable tourists crawling along; some locals mad for road; some of all en route today, but Enjoyable none-the-less. ClareFM on the radio; some cracking tunes; some singing; stunning beauty; helpful, positive genuinely lovely people met all day...

Thanking County Clare for Everything today,
    kerry4sam

Can easily see why so many Kerry folk up sticks and move to the county.
    Oh! Donegal - be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Cant beat west clare on a sunny day!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Better still if you live here and its a sunny day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

www.cliffsofmoher.ie/plan-your-visit/beyond-the-cliffs/coastal-walk

Did this beautiful coastal walk up to Hag's Head in August last year and was blown away with the natural beauty (not blown into water luckily!) - time was against us so we didn't make it as far as the cliffs themselves but the views from Hag's Head were amazing.

To get there - from Lahinch side drove through Liscannor village and took the turn opposite the "Rock Shop" followed the signs up to Moher Football Field and parked at Pat Nagle’s farmyard car park.

The following wet + windy evening I approached the cliffs from the Doolin side - not as comfortable on the steeper more exposed cliffs!
    Definitely recommend it tho!

Advertisement