Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Village (BBC 1)

Options
  • 30-03-2013 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭

Source - Digital Spy
    John
    Simm and Maxine Peake are to star in new BBC One drama The Village.

The
    series - penned by Peter Moffat (Silk) - follows the residents of one English
    village across the 20th century and their turbulent lives.

Newcomer
    Bill Jones will play Bert Middleton, the youngest child of a poor family whose
    parents John (Simm) and Grace (Peake) struggle to provide for him. Upstairs
    Downstairs actor Nico Mirallegro will also star as their second son Joe, who
    works at the Big House and comes into contact with the troubled Caro (Emily
    Beecham).

Charlie
    Murphy (Misfits) will play village newcomer Martha Lane, who has a big impact on
    Bert's life, while Anthony Flanagan (Being Human), Annabelle Apsion (Shameless),
    Joe Armstrong (Robin Hood), Matt Stokoe (Misfits) and Stephen Walters (The 51st
    State) will also star.

John
    Simm said: "I'm delighted to be working with such a great director (Antonia
    Bird) and brilliant writer in Peter - I've long been a fan of both, alongside
    such a great cast.

"Beautiful
    writing - a period piece when we're not focusing on the decision makers but the
    working people," Maxine Peake added. "It is so great to see the other side -
    changes within a chain of social and political life, in minutiae.

"My
    character Grace channels all her energy into her family with a focus on ambition
    and the idea of freedom for her sons. Women moving into the workplace as the men
    went to fight and finding independence."

The six part series starts on BBC 1 tomorrow night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Loved the first episode, looking forward to the rest. Lots of familiar faces including Siobhain from Love/Hate. Loved the character of the young boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Really strong first episode I thought. Was the neighbour of the Dad Tim from Corrie?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Really strong first episode I thought. Was the neighbour of the Dad Tim from Corrie?

Yes. He popped up in Foyles War on Sunday week as well.

Paints a depressing picture with unusual dialogue between the characters so far. Great cast though. Simm, Murphy, Peake and the young fella who plays Bert are all fantastic so far as is Stephen Walters as the demonic teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Watched the first and second episodes and love it.

I don't think I've come across John Simm before but he is excellent, really all the cast are strong.

One of the best new shows I've seen this year imo

Same writer as Silk which is worth watching also, BBC producing quality shows lately

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Watched the first and second episodes and love it.

I don't think I've come across John Simm before but he is excellent, really all the cast are strong.

One of the best new shows I've seen this year imo

Same writer as Silk which is worth watching also, BBC producing quality shows lately

It has really upped the ante this week in my opinion. Terrific show.

Last nights episode was a bit on the dark side. What is everyone's opinions on it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I wasn't sure about this for the first 2 episodes but from the 3rd on it's been brilliant. I suppose they had to do a bit of setting up in the first 2, that's why parts of them felt a bit rushed or random.

It's fairly bleak at times but I'd imagine it's a pretty accurate portrayal of what life was like at the time in a village like that.

There's been some great performances from the entire cast but the kid playing young Bert is phenomenal. He really is incredible for such a young guy and to be able to hold your own next to the liked of John Simm and Maxine Peake is an achievement.

I read this morning that it's been renewed for a second series that will be set in the 1920's. Does this mean they'll recast young Bert? That'd be a real shame if they did, but unless the kid has a huge growth spurt since they filmed this series I suppose they'll have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I hope they don't re-cast young Bert, he is a tremendous actor as are all the cast. Compelling series which is bleak but I reckon it's an accurate portrayal of the lives and times of those involved. Really shocked at the end of tonight's episode, please don't tell me that
    Joe is dead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Advertisement

Last night's episode was incredible. They don't pull any punches, do they? There's no last minute miracle to save the day. That last scene at the Midleton's was so intense.

I love how well rounded most of the characters are, even the minor ones, like the rival farmer, or Mrs. Alingham, the detective guy. You think they're just this one dimensional one sided character and then they have a little moment where you realise there's much more to them.

The detective
    helping Joe to get home
    was a great scene, even if he then turned around right after and
    shafted all the women at the factory
    . Likewise Mrs. Alingham seemed like a right bitch at the dinner table with the factory owner, but then she seemed to genuinely care about the people of the village when the psychiatrist guy was calling them all stupid. Even the psychiatrist showed some tiny bit of decency when
    he got the soldiers to give Joe another day.

I must admit I gave a little cheer when
    Grace told Martha exactly what she thought of her and told her to get out. She deserved it. And again when the rival farmer told John what a pathetic waste of space he was, how the land deserved better, and I think he was implying Grace deserved better too.

The one little thing that bugs me is the Old Bert at the start and sometimes the end. I don't see the point of him. If he's supposed to be the one recounting everything how do they explain everything that happened this week and last when Bert was away for most of it. I mean this week all he would have been able to tell was the night before Joe was supposed to leave and then being in a cave for a few days. But it's a minor quibble.

The military police said they didn't take deserters back to the frontline, that's not what they do.
    At the end there is a gunshot.

Is this a sign that the army have shot Joe? :(

The military police said they didn't take deserters back to the frontline, that's not what they do.
    At the end there is a gunshot.

Is this a sign that the army have shot Joe? :(

Yes. Or that's what I took it as anyway.

The other week when the teacher was conscripted
    they told him about someone who deserted and was shot to scare him into coming with them. So I'm sure that's what happened to Joe aswell.

Does anyone know if
    the teacher is dead? The nice one? I've seen people mention that he was, but I don't know if they were just assuming, or was his name on the really long list in last weeks episode?

Man, I was annoyed about them skipping to the 20's for the second series and that meaning they'd change the actor playing Young Bert, then they bloody went and did it for the last episode!

I nearly cried when I saw they'd changed him. I get why and all that, but I loved little Bert so much!

Anyway, last episode was a bit weird, felt a bit like the first episodes, like they were ramming so much in that it lost it's fluidity, if that makes sense.

The scene at the end though at the memorial got me a bit weepy. All in all a great series, superbly executed, and I look forward to next year.

Why did they take down the memorial at the start? :confused:

The whole episode is about designing it and unveiling it but at the start they are taking it down?

Why did they take down the memorial at the start? :confused:

The whole episode is about designing it and unveiling it but at the start they are taking it down?

I think he was remembering something more recently when they had to take it down. He was looking at the footage of it at the start. It was a bit confusing.

The one problem I had with this program was the old guy at the start. I didn't see the point of him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As I said above (last May) I'm not happy about them getting rid of Young Bert. Still looking forward to the new series though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

Season 2 starts this Sunday August 10th at 9pm

• Advertisement

Just caught up on the first 2 eps there. It's much lighter than last series. I suppose the 20's were slightly lighter than the war years but I'm not sure I like it as much. Some hints of some great stuff there though, hope they delve right into the Allingham's stories.

Advertisement