Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unlicensed moneylenders

Options
  • 23-04-2008 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

I suspect a moneylender that a family member is using is unlicensed (therefore illegal)

He doesnt get anyone to sign anything when they get loans and on a few occasions he takes their payment books and holds on to them for months.This happened my neice and only when she threatned to call the fiancial regulator did he return her books.

How would I go about reporting this?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You've come to the right place. We'll take it from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

no seriously

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The financial regulator or the guards I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It seems the financial regulator seems to have put a bit of fear in him, how about there? Or the police? Or we can send AlmightyCushion around with "Mr. Justice" the baseball bat?

The financial regulator or the guards I guess.

Was on the site says nothing about it and they have about 40 different phone numbers for all different departments and none of them mentions complaining moneylenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

How would I go about reporting this?

Try some useful contacts.

Slow coach wrote: »
    Try some useful contacts.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Was on the site says nothing about it and they have about 40 different phone numbers for all different departments and none of them mentions complaining moneylenders
    The number labeled General Enquiries didn't seem like a good place to start, or call to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

no seriously
    And you came to AH? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Lolz.

OP have you the lenders details? I'm stuck for a few bob till payday :(
    Are these the guys who charge like 40% interest on loans? I don't see why they should be illegal, if people want money and can't get it anywhere else - these guys are providing a service.

On a serious note, I'd presume that the revenue might take an interest in it moreso than the Guards. There must be a revenue hotline, maybe their website would be a start.

Remember OP, you'll have to have some sort of basic evidence before any department will take the complaint seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Firm authorisation queries
    If you want to check if a firm is authorised

* E-mail registers@financialregulator.ie
    * Lo-call 1890 200 469

or you can check out the lists of regulated firms on our corporate website.

If you would like to report an unauthorised firm

* Email legal@financialregulator.ie

Website queries

That should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Is he "unregulated" in the sense of "has an office with a sign outside" or in the sense of "wears a black leather jacket and breaks rocks with his teeth"? If it's the latter I'd keep my trap shut and advise your kith and kin to be more careful with their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

You should tell the guards. It's your moral Jew-ty. (sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You should be excommunicated for that one...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

so bad - so very very bad...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

connundrum wrote:
    Are these the guys who charge like 40% interest on loans? I don't see why they should be illegal, if people want money and can't get it anywhere else - these guys are providing a service.
    40% is nothing
    http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/11952966691072374.html
    In today’s Ireland, some borrowers are having to repay €28.50 for every €10 borrowed from one of our licensed moneylenders – that’s an interest rate of 188.5%
    I haven't found the a link for the maximum legal interest rate here but it's something crazy like 200%

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/money-and-tax/personal-finance/loans-and-credit/moneylending_in_ireland
    [quopte]If you believes you have dealt with an illegal moneylender or knows the identity of someone you believe to be an illegal moneylender, you should contact either the Financial Regulator or your local Garda station. Only the Gardai can take legal action against illegal moneylenders, but the Financial Regulator can give the customer advice on whether the moneylender is trading illegally and how to proceed with your complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Infraction given.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.mmc.gov.uk/rep_pub/reports/2006/fulltext/517_app_3-3.pdf page 5
    the Financial Regulator told us that currently there was an APR cap of 200 per
    cent (this is a policy decision and is not statutory) for any company needing a
    moneylender licence;

www.mabs.ie/publications/research_papers/Do%20the%20Poor%20Pay%20More%20(OPEN)_May2005.pdfPage 20
    Moneylenders and moneylending agencies must not, according to the terms and conditions of
    individual licenses, charge above an agreed level of APR7 on personal loans. The majority of
    moneylenders on the register for 2004/05 are licensed to charge over 100% APR, and many
    have the right to charge between 150% and 200%. Within the industry, the high interest rates
    are justified on the premise that up to 20% of loans will be written off to bad debt annually.

Advertisement