Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Disply issue (hdmi possibly)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I hate to revive an old thread... but revive i shall.

looking for ideas, The ps4 was working perfect, the tv broke. Had to replace the MAIN panel. Xbox still works, ps4 doesn't. It still loads up, white light, profile online.
    Sound works through optical out port. no picture. no sign of damage as per the bent metal of the hdmi jack. Jack looks perfect. Tried different cables. Tried another tv then, a relatively new smart tv also no picture. Not sure if it would've worked before though because I have never tried it. The tv that broke and is now fixed is just over a year old... it is a gaming tv of some sort. LG.

I am wondering would it be a software issue with the replacement panel which would somehow be resolved by (don't know how yet) updating the tv firmware?

I understand the only other option I can think of would be not the exterior visible jack but rather where the hdmi jack is actually connected / soldered internally? This is something which is apparently rather complicated to fix. The ps4 wasn't knocked around at all it is (i suppose not that) hard to believe how flimsy it could be? Perhaps I should hit it a slap.

I have tried all the internet suggested fixes of plugging the hmdi cord in after powering up etc but i am at a loss. I know there is technically extended warranty provided by consumer law but most of it isn't really that enforceable without going to small claims court in my experience this added protection is just nice guidelines no one follows.

Would really appreciate any advice?

Any joy getting it to work? Have you tried safe mode? Change the resolution to a lower setting in safe mode just to make sure your using a supported format also.

My TV still has the same problem with my PS4,usually have to turn it on and off a few times for the hdmi handshake to work properly. I narrowed down to the TV being the problem but ive been putting up with it rather than fork out for a new TV. I updated my TV's firmware to the latest version samsung had at the time and it had no affect unfortunately.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Any joy getting it to work? Have you tried safe mode? Change the resolution to a lower setting in safe mode just to make sure your using a supported format also.

My TV still has the same problem with my PS4,usually have to turn it on and off a few times for the hdmi handshake to work properly. I narrowed down to the TV being the problem but ive been putting up with it rather than fork out for a new TV. I updated my TV's firmware to the latest version samsung had at the time and it had no affect unfortunately.

No.... Safe mode doesn't work. The ps4 thinks it is connected to the tv, it loads up completely. Safe mode will work, it just still doesn't show on the tv, so I don't think it is a resolution problem. I think it is a hardware failure. Which sounds like money to me. Any idea how much sony charge for fixing it? it is only about 14 months old. The brutes.

No.... Safe mode doesn't work. The ps4 thinks it is connected to the tv, it loads up completely. Safe mode will work, it just still doesn't show on the tv, so I don't think it is a resolution problem. I think it is a hardware failure. Which sounds like money to me. Any idea how much sony charge for fixing it? it is only about 14 months old. The brutes.

Is the PS4 booting,then turning itself off after a minute with a flashing blue light?

If its hardware it should detect no display to output to/diagnose the problem itself then turn itself off like above?
    If its not doing that it may indicate its not a hardware problem.

You mention the telly is a gaming television,is there anyway to rename/repurpose the hdmi ports on the TV? ie change port 1 to gaming/PC mode then try that

Have you tried all the hdmi ports on the multiple TV's? Port 1 would be the optimal port on most to connect too.

No idea how much it could cost,if its replacing the main board id say it may not be cost effective. If you do decide to seek recourse start at the shop you bought it in not Sony. Your contract of sale is with them so it is there duty. If you dont get satisfaction in store ask the manager for the number of head office and ring them. Hopefully wont go this far but and it can be daunting but if it does turn out to be a failure of some kind you are entitled to recompense.

No it is going on, I can hear it if i connect the optical audio output, and my account shows online.
    It boots up completely, turns to a white light.

I think the only thing I have left to try now is renaming the port, I read that a few days ago and forgot about it thanks. I didn't think it would be necessary since it is supposedly a tv designed for such use but alas you wouldn't know what replacing the main panel would have done. I will let you know if that works, I do however tend to think at this stage that it is nothing to do with repairing the tv and it just is a coincidence that the ps4 has decided to move on to the happy ground as well!

Cool,changing it to a different mode can change how the image is processed so there is only a small chance it will work but worth a try. Game mode on televisions is an effort to reduce input lag in most cases,slight loss of image quality with game mode on but personally id take slightly worse image quality for less input lag.

If you do decide to go to sony or where you bought it,best of luck. Remember,your in the right here if the PS4 is defective.

• Advertisement

Well it is def bucked.

Sony wants 240 i think it is, euro, to repair it...

Asshats. Thats madness sure you can buy a new one with a few games for 400 or less. Maddening.

I had a ps3 too that I got someone to get me in america, it was still under warranty and it suffered the dreaded blu ray failure which was an automatic replacement... except if you got it in america. Since sony europe and sony america apparently don't even knowledge each others existence. -_-

Advertisement