Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to read a poem...........?

Options
  • 18-02-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Simple question for the poets here.........

When you read a poem, should you read it the way it is written or ignore the 'shape' of the poem. If a sentence starts in one stanza and continues in the next should there be a break when you are speaking it?

For example, here are the first three stanzas of Westering;

I sit under Rand McNally's
    "Official Map of the Moon" -
    The colour of frogskin,
    Its enlarged pores held

Open and one called
    "Pitiscus" at eye level -
    Recalling the last night
    In Donegal, my shadow

Neat upon the whitewash
    From her bony shine,
    The cobbles of the yard
    Lit pale as eggs.

If I ever read this aloud (which I do frequently), I now ignore the written 'shape' of the poem and read it like this.

I sit under Rand McNally's "Official Map of the Moon" - The colour of frogskin,
    Its enlarged pores held open and one called "Pitiscus" at eye level -
    Recalling the last night in Donegal, my shadow neat upon the whitewash from her bony shine, the cobbles of the yard lit pale as eggs.

What is the reasoning behind the written shape of a poem?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

donalh087 wrote: »
    What is the reasoning behind the written shape of a poem?

I can't speak for every poet (so I won't :P) but I often arranged certain words or phrases in my poems so that they stand out from the rest a little bit. It's like a subtle highlighter pointing out the significance of that line.

It varies depending on the style of the poem as well. The shape might help emphasise a rhyming pattern. Separate stanzas might have different core images/metaphors.

Of course, sometimes a poem just looks prettier when it's arranged symmetrically on a page.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think it's just so you know it's supposed to be a poem as opposed to a nicely worded observation with no plot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think it's just so you know it's supposed to be a poem as opposed to a nicely worded observation with no plot.

And this is the kind of writing that results in so very little poetry being posted on this forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I wouldn't read them aloud, for me they serve as another way for the poet to try impress their idea upon me, and my reading will be a reflection of my impression of the writing. You can't do it wrong either way IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Paulbeth

Hi donalh - no, you shouldn't ignore the shape of a poem. Poems should have a musical quality and the shape of the poem, among other things, should create this music.

I think that poems should be read out loud. This is the best way to hear the music and pick up the rhythm. As I was once told, poetry is not just chopped up prose. And yes, sadly, there is a wrong way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Paulbeth wrote: »
    Hi donalh - no, you shouldn't ignore the shape of a poem. Poems should have a musical quality and the shape of the poem, among other things, should create this music.

I think that poems should be read out loud. This is the best way to hear the music and pick up the rhythm. As I was once told, poetry is not just chopped up prose. And yes, sadly, there is a wrong way to do it.

But I often find myself speaking in a weird, halting way as I acknowledge the breaks in the lines. It sounds weird and doesn't seem to suit what is being said. Sometimes it really does just seem to be put into a poem shape to make it a poem.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And this is the kind of writing that results in so very little poetry being posted on this forum...

Oh ye of skynne so thynne

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Paulbeth

Zillah wrote: »
    But I often find myself speaking in a weird, halting way as I acknowledge the breaks in the lines. It sounds weird and doesn't seem to suit what is being said. Sometimes it really does just seem to be put into a poem shape to make it a poem.

I know what you mean. Still, the sound effects in a poem and the rhythm are best higlighted when the poem is read out loud. Sometimes, I think people overdo it (not saying that you do!) - even poets reading their own poems can sound strange and also far too solemn. Actors, however, often do a good job at delivering poetry.

Advertisement