Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Disply issue (hdmi possibly)

Options
  • 18-12-2013 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭

So yesterday I finally got a PS4, but had some issues after doing the first firmware (1.52) update.

On factory settings the console displayed fine, but after the update the display became all grey and snowy (like static) and looked terrible, artifacts etc etc. I thought this maybe just a UI issue so threw in killzone but the display remained the same even playing the game.

At that point tried just your standard reset and unplug and when I turned it back on for the third time I got a yellow screen, just solid yellow nothing else on screen. Powered down again and back on and got a pink screen!!!

After investigating online I decided to try use usb for older firmware to see was that the issue, but with the screen just displaying yellow couldnt select the option in safe mode as I couldnt see the screen:(

In the mean time I looked at a video or two online about dodgy hdmi ports, proceeded to pick up the console and check the hdmi port but all looked good and sat It back down amd turned it on, low and behold the display worked and has since?!?

Seems me moving it or the constant restarts fixed the issue, problem is I dont know which. If it was me moving it then thats not good, implies something wrong internally?

So has anybody had any similar issues?

Its definitely not blue light of death, the light is going white when I was getting corrupt display and was also white for yellow/pink screen.

Sorry for wall of text, just wanna give details of what happened

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So there was nothing in the HDMI connector in the PS4 or in the cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

eddhorse wrote: »
    So there was nothing in the HDMI connector in the PS4 or in the cable?

Not that I could see, when I put the hdmi into the back of the console the first time I didnt look. Was only when I saw the issue I checked. Also tried 3 hdmi leads to rule that out. At the moment the included hdmi is the one im using.

I checked the hdmi port after seeing a few issues online for stuff I saw online like metal debry/bent metal pins etc and it all seems fine.

After coming home this morning from work turned on ps4 to be greeted with this screen:

285233.jpg

Can hear the menu sounds in the backround so its something to do with either the output of the PS or the input on the television i guess,again only the solid white light on PS4 so its definitely outputting a signal:(

Strange thing is after resetting the console 3 times and turning the television on and off a few times aswell the thing started to work fine?!?

Might just get in touch with Sony if it keeps up,should not have to be troubleshooting a device that cost €400 on day one. Although that seems to be the norm these days in the gaming industry,weather its buggy games or dodgy consoles:(

Found a fix,something to do with having to connect the PS4 to a certain HDMI port on certain TV's.

Although i checked the manual for my telly and i HAD connected it to the port it specifies,turns out the one beside that one actually works with the PS4.

Wouldnt be a Sony product without a few quirks:p

Anyhow,for anyone interested this guys video led me to a solution,although his symptoms are different to mine (he just got a blank display),the solution was the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apypBiCc9-E

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gunner90

Yeah the ps4 would not work on my TV at home either but tried it on a newer more advanced tv and was fine, found that odd to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

What model is your TV . Is it HDCP compliant ? (it should tell you in the manual) .

Check another Hdmi lead.

ps,I see in the pics that your tv is a sammy,it should be HDCP compliant,so that should be fine.try another lead.

What model is your TV . Is it HDCP compliant ? (it should tell you in the manual) .

Check another Hdmi lead.

ps,I see in the pics that your tv is a sammy,it should be HDCP compliant,so that should be fine.try another lead.

Hey, ye its a samsung series 5 from about 5 and a half years ago.

The manual said to connect PC's to hdmi port 2 and thats where ive connected all my previous consoles and pc and they have worked fine but for some reason the PS4 only works properly in port 1?!?

Not sure what hdcp is but maybe my telly does not support it on all ports?
    Its working fine now on the diffeeent port

Just glad im not stuck with a paper weight:)

HDCP
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

Manufacturers have to pay a licence fee for each Hdmi port that is Hdcp compliant . Maybe only one port on your tv is compliant . I sold a PS3 to a neighbour (bit of an idiot) recently ,he played it on my tv and brought it to his house and came back within 10mins saying that the PS3 was not working. When I went to his house he was using the console on some cheap ass Tv with a hdmi port ,but it was not compliant giving a black screen. He tried the console on his ancient Sammy plasma and it worked fine.

Stick with port one :) .

Ah I see, thats the stuff thats stopping people capturing footage from the console?
    Or should I say forcing people to get a hdcp compatible dvr?

Sony are a pain in the arse in that sense!!

Looks like the issue is not gone, something is up with the samsung site aswell so I cant get firmware to update my telly incase its that. Its causing an alert with avast, im fairly sure its just a false positive though.

But more investigating to do...ill do a bit more research and see if/what hdcp my telly has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

I would encourage all parents if they can get the PlayStation 4 off Santa before Christmas to make sure it works before the kids get it on Christmas morning.
    I decided to download the latest firmware last night and the PlayStation would not turn on. I am just off the phone to Sony .They said a cornier will exchange my one for a new one on Christmas eve. I am hoping they are not lying to me. But I if you have kids definitely check it today.

The HDMI/DVI terminal supports DVI connection to an extended device with the appropriate cable
    (not supplied). The difference between HDMI and DVI is that the HDMI device is smaller in size, has
    the HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection) coding feature installed, and supports
    multi - channel digital audio.

This is a quote from the manual of my television so it deos support HDCP,so i think its the handshake thats causing an issue.
    Found a thread on the playstation forum about it and definitely seems to be a firmware issue with 1.51 and 1.52 and sony are supposedly working on a fix from reading the thread.

It also only seems to affect certain TV's or recievers,hopefully 1.53 or whatever sorts it when it arrives.

Luckily also the workaround of turning the telly on and off a few times when the PS4 is on works for me,otherwise i wouldnt be a happy camper:)

Hers a link to the thread if anyone is interested:
    http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/Firmware-1-52-DOES-NOT-FIX-display-issues/td-p/42412867

Good job. It looks like you've found the reason why it's happening.

Just thought id update this thread as i think there is 1 or 2 people having the same problem as myself.

Got fed up waiting for Sony to address/patch the problem(FW 1.60 is just a Headset patch?!?)through new firmware so decided to get a cousins PS4 and try it on my television. Used same HDMI lead only changed the console and got the same result. Green screen when i turned the PS4 on.

So rather than hope Sony address the problem(I still believe it could be fixed through firmware) i am in contact with samsung to hopefully get the latest firmware for my television to see if that helps the problem.

For some reason the Samsung website wont allow me to download the firmware,error saying i dont have permission.

So hopefully they can direct me to where i can download it. I will give an update again after i get it installed

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

EoinHef wrote: »
    Hey, ye its a samsung series 5 from about 5 and a half years ago.

The manual said to connect PC's to hdmi port 2 and thats where ive connected all my previous consoles and pc and they have worked fine but for some reason the PS4 only works properly in port 1?!?

Not sure what hdcp is but maybe my telly does not support it on all ports?
    Its working fine now on the diffeeent port

Just glad im not stuck with a paper weight:)

I had the same problem on my samsung series 5. all you have to do is go into the tv settings and "rename" the connection from hdmi1/2/3 to "PC" or "PC Mode", works grand then. You can rename all the hdmi ports so it'l work in any of'm. Even after doing that though, if i put on "Game Mode" the green screen comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

You could change the region on the samsung TV to US or UK and then it might find the latest firmware.
    I had to do this for the Netflix App.

Press the Smart Hub button on the remote control
    When Smart Hub has loaded then press », 2, 8, 9, « (fast forward, 2, 8, 9, rewind).

I had the same problem on my samsung series 5. all you have to do is go into the tv settings and "rename" the connection from hdmi1/2/3 to "PC" or "PC Mode", works grand then. You can rename all the hdmi ports so it'l work in any of'm. Even after doing that though, if i put on "Game Mode" the green screen comes back.

Cheers man,I tried this and and it has not happened again so far. It has turned on ok a few times in a row before so im a little cautious but hopefully thats done the trick!

I wasnt aware changing the name on the edit list was enough to change how the port works/communicates with other devices!

I did have it set to 'Game'.

eddhorse wrote: »
    You could change the region on the samsung TV to US or UK and then it might find the latest firmware.
    I had to do this for the Netflix App.

Press the Smart Hub button on the remote control
    When Smart Hub has loaded then press », 2, 8, 9, « (fast forward, 2, 8, 9, rewind).

Unfortunately its not a smart telly, not far off 6 years old at this stage.

Firmware update has to be done through usb, for some reason the samsung website keeps denying me access to the file, just keeps bringing me to an error screen saying I dont have permission, its very strange!!

Got the Firmware update finally,samsung linked me the download page. Impressive,took about 8 hours to reply to a customer who bought a television about 6 years ago! Fair play to them:)

After having to find a USB stick that worked with the tv,out of 3 only 1 was compatible(even though all are fat32 formatted)i got the update installed.

Avast also tried to block the download,false positive i presume. Might be something to do with the file type.

Ill try it out over the next few days and see what happens,turned it on/off there a few times and no issues again so fingers crossed it will stay that way

@Pixelbastardo Ill set the port back to "Game" also and see if it still happens on that setting. Can rule out/in the firmware being the problem then hopefully

Well from what i read about this issue, the 2 fixes were to either update the firmware(a statement from sony to do this popped up after abunch of articles about the issue went online, afew days after the US release), or to rename the inputs to "PC".
    So hopefully it should be all sorted if you updated the firmware since that was the official sony fix. (youd want to be certain its the right firmware though, or possible TV brick).

I read about this first in a neogaf PS4 US release thread back in november, 2 weeks before the PS4 released here in EU, so when i plugged in the PS4 and got the green glitchy screen, luckily i knew what to do, and renamed the inputs.. I upgraded to a new samsung last month too, no problems on the new one thankfully.

• Advertisement

Well from what i read about this issue, the 2 fixes were to either update the firmware(a statement from sony to do this popped up after abunch of articles about the issue went online, afew days after the US release), or to rename the inputs to "PC".
    So hopefully it should be all sorted if you updated the firmware since that was the official sony fix. (youd want to be certain its the right firmware though, or possible TV brick).

I read about this first in a neogaf PS4 US release thread back in november, 2 weeks before the PS4 released here in EU, so when i plugged in the PS4 and got the green glitchy screen, luckily i knew what to do, and renamed the inputs.. I upgraded to a new samsung last month too, no problems on the new one thankfully.

Cool thanks for the info, I wasnt aware sony had released an official suggestion for a fix. Thought was the usual 'We are aware and working on it' kinda stuff.

I wasnt too worried as console still under warranty just annoying me after spending a good few quid.

Hopefully thats it now anyway, checked this morning before work and turned on fine.

I double checked firmware before installing and was definitely the right one. Its actually handy once you get the right file, problem was samsungs website denying me permission to download the file for some reason. In fairness to samsung they sent me an alternative link in less than a day as well though.

Thanks everybody for help/info/suggestions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Bought a PS4 yesterday and had to spend a long time to get it setup, so thought I'd post here how to fix the issue I had encase somebody else has the same problem.

My setup is as follows, I have a Yamaha RXV-471 digital receiver and that sends to my display which is a Panason PT-AX200. (This fix is basically for anyone that has an amp receiver that supports a higher resolution than the display/tv/projector)

When I plugged my PS4 into the receiver I wasn't getting any video signal, and the audio signal kept coming and going. I sort of expected this as I had a similar issue with my PS3 before.

The issue is that the PS3/4 tries to handshake with the device it's plugged into through HDMI. In this case the Yamaha RXV-471, and the receiver can send a signal of 1080p with a high refresh rate. However, my projector is native 720p and can only upscale to 1080i.

Usually I can fix the issue by plugging the PS3 into a spare TV and setting the display to a supported resolution for the projector, then plug it back into the receiver and the signal will come through.

The issue with that in this case however was that when I changed the res on the PS4 it wouldn't fix it, even if I scaled it down to 480p it would not recognise it. This caused me a good hour of wrecking my head, wondering if my setup just isn't compatible with the PS4 for some bizarre reason due to a set refresh rate or something silly.

Eventually I figured out how to fix it. If you put the projector into safe mode (turn off system, then hold the power on button until you hear two beeps) whilst it's plugged into the PROJECTOR (not the receiver), once in safe mode you should get a signal as it obviously scales it down into the most acceptable resolution and also handshakes with the projector, not the receiver amp. Then select 'Change Resolution', it will bring you back into the XMB and then you can select a resolution that suits. I plugged it back into the receiver and the receiver then sent the right signal to the projector. Everything working fine.

It must have something to do with the handshake. Before the fix the 1080p part was greyed out, after I fixed it it wasn't. Which is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

As a side note, my projector is native 720p, but I've always upscaled to 1080i on the PS3 and it looks good. But when I upscale to the 1080i on the PS4 it looks terrible, and 720p looks better. Any reason for that? I know progressive is usually always better than interlaced but it never looked that bad on the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

isn't there a load of PS4 with display issues? some sort of common issue with all them?

truedoom wrote: »
    isn't there a load of PS4 with display issues? some sort of common issue with all them?

That was something to do with a fault in the hdmi port, if you got that issue you wouldnt be able to see any signal from the console at all, and probably need to send it back for repair.

After updating the firmware of my television to the latest version the problem still persists:(
    Even with PC mode selected,back to square one it looks like!!

EoinHef wrote: »
    After updating the firmware of my television to the latest version the problem still persists:(
    Even with PC mode selected,back to square one it looks like!!

Well that sucks dude.. Do you have game mode disabled ?
    And whats the native resolution your TV does ?, maybe hooking the PS4 up to another TV if you can, and selecting only the native res in the PS4 video options to match the samsung's native res, and trying the samsung again, might be worth a try.

Well that sucks dude.. Do you have game mode disabled ?
    And whats the native resolution your TV does ?, maybe hooking the PS4 up to another TV if you can, and selecting only the native res in the PS4 video options to match the samsung's native res, and trying the samsung again, might be worth a try.

Not really a PC mode that can be selected on my TV,can edit input name and have it set to PC but i doubt it has any actual effect on how it works with the PS4,only really renames the input:(

My TV seems to work off the premise that if you want "PC Mode" you connect the device to HDMI port 1,which the PS4 is connected to. Id say my TV was of the generation just before smart TV's.

Fantastic screen and id hate to replace it.

I got my cousins PS4 to test on my TV,it works with no issues on his TV but connect it to mine and it gives the same issues as i have so i have narrowed it to my TV. Thats not too say its not a Sony firmware issue,as PS3 and XBox 360 were connected to the same port with the same HDCP/HDMI handshake and they had no issue?!?

Im fairly sure its not the PS4 thats faulty,its more an issue of my TV and PS4 unfortunately(maybe the ps4 is faulty then?)....which puts me in the minority,maybe headset firmware updates will help:pac:

Yeah, it not a "PC mode", im only on about renaming the input on samsung tv's in general to "PC".
    Doubt its the PS4 though. iv read other users having the same, or similar issues with samsung tvs and their PS4 not working. And i said earlier, my samsung 32" from around 2009 had issues too. (i got a constant green screen unless i renamed the hdmi input to "PC".. and "game mode" wouldnt work at all even with the input renamed to "PC". game mode off and renamed to "PC" fixed my issue)

Renaming the input to "PC" has other benefits too, when it comes to gaming. it shaves off afew milliseconds of controller input lag. different amounts depending on the tv. So it must disable some of the processing in the TV or something.
    On my newer samsung i got afew months back, relabeling an input "PC" shaves off 3ms of input lag over "game mode" which is 33ms delay, on that particular set, but it turns the picture quality to crap on that tv.

One other thing someone suggested who was having problems with their tv, was to turn on the PS4 first, wait for it to boot up (white light on the console) and then turn on their tv, was the only way to get a picture on their set.

There could be a simple work around like setting RGB to "limited" in the ps4 display options or something like that too. idk, good luck though.

• Advertisement

I hate to revive an old thread... but revive i shall.

looking for ideas, The ps4 was working perfect, the tv broke. Had to replace the MAIN panel. Xbox still works, ps4 doesn't. It still loads up, white light, profile online.
    Sound works through optical out port. no picture. no sign of damage as per the bent metal of the hdmi jack. Jack looks perfect. Tried different cables. Tried another tv then, a relatively new smart tv also no picture. Not sure if it would've worked before though because I have never tried it. The tv that broke and is now fixed is just over a year old... it is a gaming tv of some sort. LG.

I am wondering would it be a software issue with the replacement panel which would somehow be resolved by (don't know how yet) updating the tv firmware?

I understand the only other option I can think of would be not the exterior visible jack but rather where the hdmi jack is actually connected / soldered internally? This is something which is apparently rather complicated to fix. The ps4 wasn't knocked around at all it is (i suppose not that) hard to believe how flimsy it could be? Perhaps I should hit it a slap.

I have tried all the internet suggested fixes of plugging the hmdi cord in after powering up etc but i am at a loss. I know there is technically extended warranty provided by consumer law but most of it isn't really that enforceable without going to small claims court in my experience this added protection is just nice guidelines no one follows.

Would really appreciate any advice?

Advertisement