Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfer chicks?

Options
  • 04-02-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was just wondering why you don't see as much women out surfing. You'd think it would be one sport where they could actually match us men! Any idea anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Not sure where you surf, but there are plenty out there in the water when it is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Carverkid wrote: »
    I was just wondering why you don't see as much women out surfing. You'd think it would be one sport where they could actually match us men! Any idea anyone?

Strandhill in Sligo is wall to wall chicks out surfing. 3 or 4 of the Irish Surf Team hail from there also and would whup any fellas ass in a competition. Think you're in surfing the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carverkid

I surf over on the east coast, not many people out anyway! But even when I'm over west I don't notice many out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Plazaman wrote: »
    Strandhill in Sligo is wall to wall chicks out surfing. 3 or 4 of the Irish Surf Team hail from there also and would whup any fellas ass in a competition. Think you're in surfing the wrong place.

Huh? I surf strandhill regularly and there would be a max of 1 girl to 15 or so guys out in the water. Def more women (% wise) than say 10 years ago but they're still way underrepresented. From asking a few about it, getting salt in their hair, wearing a non flattering wetsuit, cold etc.. are serious considerations for a lot of girls and i don't just mean the girly girly princess types

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

There's always plenty out in the summer months, not so much in the winter I find.

I'm female myself (although wouldn't class myself a surfer chick, as I wouldn't be what you'd call spectacular at surfing, just very very average :p) and when we're out in the winter months, I don't see many other females out (a whopping zero so far any day I've been out this winter just gone, actually), but I don't see all that many males out either TBH! Usually only a few out on any given day.

Guess it's down to a combination of the cold putting a lot of people off, and the lack of consistent decent conditions where we surf -Tramore mostly. I stick to beach breaks as I know my limits and I'm happy to just cruise on a longboard :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

There are easier ways of going about finding a date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kitiara

echosound wrote: »
    There's always plenty out in the summer months, not so much in the winter I find.

I'm female myself (although wouldn't class myself a surfer chick, as I wouldn't be what you'd call spectacular at surfing, just very very average :p) and when we're out in the winter months, I don't see many other females out (a whopping zero so far any day I've been out this winter just gone, actually), but I don't see all that many males out either TBH! Usually only a few out on any given day.

Guess it's down to a combination of the cold putting a lot of people off, and the lack of consistent decent conditions where we surf -Tramore mostly. I stick to beach breaks as I know my limits and I'm happy to just cruise on a longboard :)

same here. Just fun. But it can be very cold..what put's me off is the hassle of having to get OUT of a 5 mill suit. I can get up and surf a board quite ok, but I always loose my balance standing on one leg when changing. And I still haven't found a way of pulling that bleedin' first leg off while sitting in the car. I have to get up and stand on the loose end and pull..yes I know. it looks funny.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 piddles

There's a few of us around. I'm a girl and i don't even see many girls out. I've been out a few times this winter... nothing like a nice surf (although i am still in the learning stages) when its nice and clean during the winter...good for the soul :)
    Good bit too big for me the last week though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Think this time of the year there are alot of couples out, not so many 'single' girls but in Summer you see tons of girls in general, think its a bit hard to venture out in the depts of winter alone not matter what sport you're at.
    Also would I be right in saying that beginner girls progress faster than the guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

hollysf wrote: »
    Also would I be right in saying that beginner girls progress faster than the guys...

Are you trying to ruffle some feathers here?!!! ;)

Where ya get this idea from? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

No, just from watching some lessons over the summer

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Only speaking from my own experience but quite the opposite a far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

Could be the cold ... I was surfing in Peru and us men were vastly outnumbered by the ladies. Not complaining as a huge % of them were babes. Its one of the few places I've seen that though. Just seems to be a male dominated sport - like rugby or farting in bed.

I've introduced a few girls to surfing over the years. 1 that I know of now surfs regularly. On the plus side she is a fanatic now, was out with me in the snow at the end of last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RoBo959

All Depends on the climate and temperature of where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

I avoid surfer girls like the plague, since one came paddling in my direction about four years ago.
    Here I was just minding my own business, when this pesky over-friendly girl on a Bic starts pestering me in the line-up, to join her and her friends at a shared house in Castlegregory.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

Thats cause male instructors ALWAYS home in on the girls in the groups and leave the blokes to fend for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carverkid

rodento wrote: »
    There are easier ways of going about finding a date

Haha I knew something like this would come up. Well I started surfing because I thought it would get me a few women but found myself hooked on the sport instead. Dam. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

there are deffo more men than girls in the water, but more girls than a lot other sports i find. The girls who keep it up tend to really go gung ho for it though.
    And can't remember who said it but about the appearance issue, dead right, freckles being the other major problem. Freckles look cute when they'e just on your nose, by man surfing makes them take over your face, even with factor 30 :)

Advertisement