Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC shutting down suddenly

Options
  • 02-03-2009 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Working on a friend's COMPAQ PRESARIO SR1230 PC.Had to restore the system for him from the original disks supplied.Everything went fine.When I was finished with the restoration and installed all additional software etc , the PC was working fine for 3 days.

Suddenly, at boot up the computer shuts down.I have opened the case and found all the fans and coolers are working.The CPU doesn't get hot at all.I have set BIOS to default settings.Still no help.

The point of failure seems very different and unpredictable,ranging from within 10 seconds of power ON to a few minutes until I see the log in screen.After shutdown, I can't restart the PC.I have to physically unplug the power cable from the PC and wall socket and then plug it back.ONLY then does the PC start.

I have not added any new hardware.The PC has an on board video.

Has anyone come across such a problem?Any help appreciated

TIA
    Lig
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭CHW

My folks computer is shutting down inexplicitly too. Usually after being on for some time though, and starts up almost straight away, so I'm hoping it's not a heat issue.

No malware present, and I got them to check the smart data of the hard drives and they seem healthy.

Which OS are you using? Is it all up-to-date with updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lig

OS is XP Home.

But ,it doesn't even get that far.Many times,it is on the BIOS screen,the PC shuts down.Very rarely, the PC boots into XP and I come to the user login screen.

TIA
    Lig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Random shutdowns could be - PSU, virus(?), overheating - to name a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Open the case and check for dust bunnies. Heat is the number one cause of random shutdowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, yours sounds like a misinstalled driver. Check your device manager for exclamation marks or crosses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Faulty PSU connection

I'd double check that first....otherwise you could try a hundred different things before you end up checking it.
    I had this before, and took the computer apart twice..literally...and buillt it from scratch..and kept getting the errors.
    Finally narrowed it down to the PSU, got a new one for 50 quid. Sorted

You could do well to reseat the memory too etc.

Hope goes well for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

On proper reading of your post - have you tried safe mode? Sounds like a driver/windows issue as previously mentioned

Advertisement