Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spam faxes in 2009

Options
  • 29-01-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

:pac:
    1. Does any one know what (015078000) this lot are trying to sell me?
    2. Any suggestions on how to stop it? it's annoying
    3. Is there some way I could spam them with there is not a fax machine at this number (add number) please don't call again
    :pac:
    I haven't had a fax machine on my line for 8 years. I took it out because email superseded it and all I received were spam Fax- weight loss program, conferences, offers. My attempts to unsuscribe from the numbers (using numbers they provided for the purpose on the faxes) were ignored indeed if anything they increased the spam at the time. 8 years later I often return to the studio to find 2 to 6 fax messages filling my answering machine mostly from 015078000, I don't know what they are sending me. :confused:

Before Christmas I rang the other persistent fax number having forgotten it was a fax number, I've not received anything from it following one other attempt on their part but rather disturbingly I have received four blocked numbers fax on the 26th of January 2009- 4.19pm, 4.44pm, 4.48pm and 4.49pm. That one may be malicious.:eek: Calling the 015078000 number just gets a fax machine and business as usual response.

015078000- last few calls
    Jan27th @ 5.27pm
    Jan28th @ 6.37pm
    Jan28th @ 6.47pm
    Jan29th @ 9.17am
    Jan29th @ 10.48am
    They don't care what time they call, I've received calls after 10 in the evening, almost certainly an automatic dialing service.

Today I spoke to a guy in Eircom asking if it was possible to block fax calls. Eircom do not have the technology to block numbers was his answer and he offered no suggestions.

1. Does any one know what (015078000) this lot are trying to sell me?
    2. Any suggestions on how to stop it? it's annoying
    3. Is there some way I could spam them with there is not a fax machine at this number (add number) please don't call again?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/015078000

Seems like your not the only one. You can get it blocked apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 shrtdrk

From the link 'Same problem here, about 10 calls a day from this number - when we plug in the fax machine nothing comes through either. I called Eircom who told me it was a Smart Telecom number, I called Smart and they assured me that that number is now banned from calling our home number. Smart's number is 1890 945300. Just give them your number and the number that's bothering us and they can ban it. Hopefully it works now.
    Caller ID: 015078000'

Thanks Cuddlesworth

Eircom should have told me that when I rang them earlier. I called smart telecom on the number 1890 945300. A somewhat disgruntled guy answered. I told him I was having trouble with a fax number that it has been suggested its a smart number he took note of the the fax number and left me listening to intermission music for two minutes. When he came back he asked for my number. I told him the number that was receiving the fax tones. He said I wont be bothered by that again. Only time will tell. Thank You

Smart's number is 1890 945300.

At the end of January I called smart telecom on the number 1890 945300. listed the 015078000 smart telecom and was reliably informed that I would not be troubled by that number again. four weeks have passed & no fax calls from the number above. good that worked.:D

:(Unfortunately I have not had success eliminating the Malicious anonymous fax. It has permanently damaged my phone. twice prior to this the incoming fax wiped the answering machine settings from the phone three weeks ago it damaged the phone to an extent that I can no longer set the answering machine or play messages and the base station keeps flickering and cant be reset.

We put a fax machine on the line last week and when the anonymous fax came in the fax machine didn't recognise it as something it should respond to.

We have a fax machine on the line for this week too. The fax comes in during the day between 9.30 and 6 one day a week Tuesday to Thursday. Most weeks it attempts to come through at least four time then out of the blue just once the next week.

I'm working with a local telecommunication company getting advice on this but they are baffled as to what it is. Why did it damage the phone? they put the Fax machine on the line to try and capture the contents.
    :confused:
    Could it be a computer. Eircom are supposed to be monitoring my line for the last nine months. If the 015078000 smart telecom number was one of smart telecom computers might the Malicious anonymous fax be Eircoms monitor, (I've had broadband trouble since an :pac:Eircom line upgrade in November 2006 & no joy from :pac:Eircom in fixing it)(Re the same I've contacted comreg/ the enterprise board/ a number of eircom competitors, reopened the case a number of times as eircom has closed it unresolved at least three times in 2008.)(I've begun chasing local politicians other business organisations and have reopened the case again with eircom re my broadband)

So far: the Malicious anonymous fax, sounds like a fax but wasn't recognised by the recently attached Fax Machine last week.

It looks like I may have to change my number.
    1. However if it's a line monitor would that work? the same physical line will be there.
    2. I need to get a new phone but will the new phone be damages too?
    3. If I get a dual voip/ analogue (as initially intended) and connect via ethernet to the modem would that afford protection from the problem?

Eircom have stated they don't have the technology to block phonecalls/ faxes coming in on a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

maybe what happened was that on some answering machines, you can call them yourself, interrupt them with the # key, enter a password & it will replay your messages. Perhaps the fax hit the right frequency to confuse the answeringmachine, and sent it a load of weird commands that fried its little brain?

Maybe when you get a new phone - get a basic one, and use eircom's voicemail service? could be a neater solution, and allows you receive messages when you're on the phone?

Dardania wrote: »
    maybe what happened was that on some answering machines, you can call them yourself, interrupt them with the # key, enter a password & it will replay your messages. Perhaps the fax hit the right frequency to confuse the answeringmachine, and sent it a load of weird commands that fried its little brain?

Maybe when you get a new phone - get a basic one, and use eircom's voicemail service? could be a neater solution, and allows you receive messages when you're on the phone?

:D:D:D:D:D
    'sent it a load of weird commands that fried its little brain?'
    :D:D:D:D:D

I'll pass that suggestion on to the communications tech I'm working with on my eircom problem. The new phone I'm looking at to replace the damaged one doesn't have an integrated answering machine. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement