Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does internet advertising work on you?

Options
  • 07-01-2011 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

With the facebook valuation of $50 billion last week this got me thinking, in my 10+ years of internet use, on a wide variety of forums, social networking sites, games, email sites, etc I don't think I've ever clicked on an internet ad or even thought about it.

Do you click on internet ads? 6 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 6 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sure does. I'm convinced I have a tiny penis. Bought a penis pump the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Nope. Im so conditioned to avoiding internet ads now that I can find and click the tiny close button in 0.23 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No, has no effect on me at all.

Now excuse me while I go get another refreshing can of Cuke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

What internet adverts? Thanks to plug-ins like ad block I don't even see them on most sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Facebook has ads? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

depends on the add. If I am searching for a technical solution to a technical problem and I see an add for solution I may click on it see if the tool is any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

phasers wrote: »
    Facebook has ads? :confused:

Yeah. If these early poll results are anything to go by, valuations of $50 billion for facebook are miles off.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

oo no i just had a thought, what if the isp's starts doing add breaks on the internet? your in the middle of gaming and all of a sudden the game minimizes and you have to watch adds every 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

The ad that has had the most effect on me are those "Say No to Racism" ones. I was walking home from town one day and I passed by one of them. I stopped to read it and thought "Yeah, that's a good point. I was going to be racist today but, having seen that ad there, well, I think I won't be racist now!" Then I bought some Hunky Dorys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I block almost all ads on the internet. Certain domains are blocked as they do nothing except host ads.

And I don't watch TV, so the only ads I see are a few billboards etc when driving, and I barely notice them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 First Post

I use adblock pro, ads just don't exist for me.

EDIT: Adblock plus, DERP!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

First Post wrote: »
    I use adblock pro, ads just don't exist for me.

Is that a pay one? I use adblock plus. Free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Adblock as well, and now thanks to my superlarge 11ft penis, I rarely use the net. I am not typing this with my fingers btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

facebook is just another trend, it will die and something else will come to replace it. But it looks like it will be floated on the stock market first, so zuckerberg will make his billions . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE WON A $100 GIFT CARD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Thankfully I'm impervious to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

oo no i just had a thought, what if the isp's starts doing add breaks on the internet? your in the middle of gaming and all of a sudden the game minimizes and you have to watch adds every 15 mins

tried before on a trial basis in UK/USA.

didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

So none of have ever clicked an adwords link when you search for something? I have loads, they can exactly what you're looking for.

And it only takes a CTR of 0.1% or above to be profitable on Facebook, so 1 in 1000.

Ad Block plus, the best thing to happen on the internet in the past 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

No, I raitionalise everything. I also use adblock + noscript.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I think many people have followed ad's without realizing it.

Perfect example: You search goggle for a local service and three come up in the search, but one of them has paid google to be top of that search category. You click the link, their ad worked

At the same time though, Ive gotten into the habit of avoiding those who have paid for top of a search term and go with the second result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't use facebook and I've never heard of adblock, but no I can't remember ever clicking on an internet ad

I probably used the top results in a google search and they sometimes pay though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Pray Tell where are these "Internet ads" you speak of. i use Firefox. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Krieg wrote: »
    I think many people have followed ad's without realizing it.

Perfect example: You search goggle for a local service and three come up in the search, but one of them has paid google to be top of that search category. You click the link, their ad worked

At the same time though, Ive gotten into the habit of avoiding those who have paid for top of a search term and go with the second result.

There is a solution to your problems....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_%28web_browser%29

*Edit - stop using google, use DuckDuckGo*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I think the poll is an ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Never actually clicked an add, never even crossed my mind to so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't even use the internet, so that counts me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

A lot of it is subliminal imo - I don't click on ads but I'm sure I've bought some products based on some ad on some website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

preytec wrote: »

Dude..! If that ever happens you are dead after school...

• Advertisement
Advertisement