Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A gift for someone you're visiting abroad...

• 24-11-2010 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Bit of a backwards way of buying a souvenir but just wondered what people would bring as a gift if they were visiting them? Something Irish that's great, if of course you felt it exists :)
    Nothing to extravagant of course, simple thoughtful and effective.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

A bodhrán

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Jay D wrote: »
    Bit of a backwards way of buying a souvenir but just wondered what people would bring as a gift if they were visiting them? Something Irish that's great, if of course you felt it exists :)

If they're poor, Marlboro cigarettes and Coca Cola.

Really show them what a big man about town looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

lyons tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

A hurl and a sliotar.

That's what i'm bringing over to cousins later today in the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Check out Carrolls in town,maybe a Bodhran.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If you're buying them a bodhran, buy them a penknife as well to play it with.

Bottle of whiskey is yer only man for these occasions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A sod o' turf and a sack o' shamrock
    Package o' Tayto
    Potato farls
    An oul rasher sangwidge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Stayaway card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

If you are visiting Irish people living abroad, buying some Tayto and a Club Orange does wonders!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

I generally bring the whiskey. All the main brands seem to have copped on to this and thus market "special" bottles in the airport that whoever you're bringing it to would have no chance of seeing in their own country. Last time I bought a couple of bottles of Jameson that were in some special box, it was a wedding gift and everyone was admiring it. I didn't get the fuss but it seems to go down a treat I did this at two weddings, one in France and the other in India and each time everyone loved the gift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

You can get Christmas cards that have photos of your town on it, that would be nice! And Lily O'briens chocolates, their Irish and everyone likes chocolate!

All I want to do is eat chocolate for the rest of my life.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Otacon wrote: »
    If you are visiting Irish people living abroad, buying some Tayto and a Club Orange does wonders!

These and hickory smoked rashers are the only things I ever ask for :D

Most Irish whiskeys can be bought here for about 40% cheaper than in Ireland but a good bottle of rare booze is a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Jay D wrote: »

syphilis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

You can get Christmas cards that have photos of your town on it, that would be nice! And Lily O'briens chocolates, their Irish and everyone likes chocolate!

All I want to do is eat chocolate for the rest of my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4UK322rW7I:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Thanks for the responses, alcohol is out and was hoping to move away from the typical chocolates style gift. Something different but good (just like chocolate is) :)

baileys chocs from the duty free :pac:

waterford crystal
    (from the duty free :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

taytos is all you need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The full 6 inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Something made from bog oak. It doesn't have to be expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dubpunter

I'd go for smoked salmon and soda bread/ brown bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

FatherLen wrote: »
    lyons tea
    Surely you'd be giving them Barry's tea, if you're going to give them tea! None of that Lyons crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Visiting Rels in Canada
    We brought
    Cadbury's Roses went down a storm with everyone way nicer than Canadian Chocolates
    A bottle of Jameson and a bottle of Baileys all highly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

get them somthing irish out of a craft shop or somthing.....
    not a tacky irish thing with leprachauns etc... on it.

all i know is that i hate when a person coming back from their holidays decides to buy you a mini eiffel tower or statue of liberty, or a mini licence plate or keyring with your name on it.....
    *cringe*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Government bonds, the gift that keeps on giving.

All the 'oirish' stuff is rubbish, get them something they might actually like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

red menace wrote: »
    Visiting Rels in Canada
    We brought
    Cadbury's Roses went down a storm with everyone way nicer than Canadian Chocolates
    A bottle of Jameson and a bottle of Baileys all highly appreciated
    seriously?
    roses are utter ****e latley. especially in the past few years when they took out a load of the nice ones. the crispy orange one and purple one and a few of the praline and truffles.

ehmmm....bring white pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

double-ended dildo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Take a picture of a dole queue & out current Government for them. So whenever they feel their life is shyte they can take out the pictures & marvel, & be thankful, for the fact that they don't live here.

Also everyone wants a leprechaun.

SERIOUS ANSWER: Get some photos of landscapes or historical landmarks. If it was up to me I'd go for a nice sunset over a bay or a black & white stormy looking landscape because it will fit in with eveyones decor. And it will last longer than chocolates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

seriously?
    roses are utter ****e latley. especially in the past few years when they took out a load of the nice ones. the crispy orange one and purple one and a few of the praline and truffles.

way better than the canadian choclates sadly
    They seemed to like em really well, they ate a kilo box in an evening between 4 of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I recently brought over a Newbridge Silverware gift, a Galway crystal gift and a few little €3 porcelain leprechauns from the gift shop in the duty free in the airport. It really depends on whether the person in question is Irish or not. Gifts like these I wouldn't give to an Irish person but gifts like tayto, blackcurrant juice (oh I miss it), chef sauce and rashers would be ideal!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

AH answer: Yore Ma

Serious answer: are they Irish or have they been to Ireland? If not maybe....a coffee table book.

Met an older US couple a few years ago at a conference in the UK. They had been to Ireland for a week or so beforehand and taken lots of pictures (her great- great- someone or other was Irish).

A few weeks later I heard from them that their camera got stolen back at home so they had lost all their pictures from Ireland and were really gutted. Around the same time I saw a fantastic coffee table book simply called 'Ireland' in a second hand bookshop in Galway, was in great nick. Magnificent pictures, not that wordy or anything and only cost about e15 IIRC.

So I posted it over to them and they were so delighted. Honestly I thought they would burst. They even wanted to send me the money for it....sure I couldn't tell them how little it cost plus they were so delighted I felt a bit cheap then. But they were really chuffed. Some people love that kind of stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Put together a hamper for them:

Rashers, sausages, farls, b&w pudding, brown sauce, some packets of soup, salad cream, Crunchies, lucozade, a little Christmas ham, bottle of whiskey, you get the ideas. Maybe not all that stuff but use your imagination.

It all depends on which country they live in. If they live in New York then all that stuff is available in the Irish shops there anyway....albeit expensive.

An Irish recipes cookery book, assuming that they can get the ingredients locally....bacon, decent spuds, etc.

Bisto gravy granules. Bisto is the holy grail!!!

Selection boxes...cheap and cheerful.

Damart incontinence knickers and Complan if they are ancient :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Newbridge do some nice silver Christmas decorations. I brought friends some one year I visited in December. They always mention them on Christmas cards. They aren't expensive but look like they are.

http://www.newbridgesilverware.com/gift/ChristmasHangingDecorations/XMASHANG/0.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭woolyhat

Put together a hamper for them:

Rashers, sausages, farls, b&w pudding, brown sauce, some packets of soup, salad cream, Crunchies, lucozade, a little Christmas ham, bottle of whiskey, you get the ideas. Maybe not all that stuff but use your imagination.

It all depends on which country they live in. If they live in New York then all that stuff is available in the Irish shops there anyway....albeit expensive.

An Irish recipes cookery book, assuming that they can get the ingredients locally....bacon, decent spuds, etc.

Bisto gravy granules. Bisto is the holy grail!!!

Selection boxes...cheap and cheerful.

Damart incontinence knickers and Complan if they are ancient :pac:

How do you order from Damart they will not allow you complete their form on line without a postal code and it's impossabe to get them on the phone left holding and they do not give a contact address.
    Can anyone advise please?

Advertisement