Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My computer is dead. Needs a revival

Options
  • 15-10-2008 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

I'm not great with this stuff but I'll describe it the best I can. I clicked on something that said do not click and a fake Norton antivirus downloaded. I realised this and ran a virus check but nothing showed up and I was too lazy to remove the programme at the time. I turned my PC off and then the next day when i went to turn it on It didn't.

It's a dell and it has one of those instant system reboot delete everything backup things which I have no problem using it but the problem is I can't access it. The green light that goes on when you press it to turn the machine on is blinking orange at around 5 second intervals. The thing I downloaded could be this
    spankeh wrote:
    Domain Name: TECHSAV.COM
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
    Name Server: NS1.HOSTING.DIGIWEB.IE
    Name Server: NS3.HOSTING.DIGIWEB.IE
    Updated Date: 19-aug-2008
    Creation Date: 17-sep-2007
    Expiration Date: 17-sep-2009

But I have no idea what that means so it could be completely unrelated.

Would appreciate any help in just getting the piece of crap to turn on so I can reboot it from the starting yoke.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I'm not great with this stuff but I'll describe it the best I can. I clicked on something that said do not click and a fake Norton antivirus downloaded. I realised this and ran a virus check but nothing showed up and I was too lazy to remove the programme at the time. I turned my PC off and then the next day when i went to turn it on It didn't.

It's a dell and it has one of those instant system reboot delete everything backup things which I have no problem using it but the problem is I can't access it. The green light that goes on when you press it to turn the machine on is blinking orange at around 5 second intervals. The thing I downloaded could be this

But I have no idea what that means so it could be completely unrelated.

Would appreciate any help in just getting the piece of crap to turn on so I can reboot it from the starting yoke.

Thanks

Could be a dead power supply unit (PSU) - I've had Dells at work (older GX150's) showing the orange flashing light, and it's always been a failing power supply.

Is the fan in the PSU blowing air out the back when you switch it on? How old is the PC, and what sort of use would it have had? Might have been overworked if it's only a 200W PSU.

I had some success in opening up the Dells, disconnecting the power connector from the mainboard, and plugging it back in, and the computer would start, but a few hours/days/weeks/months (yes, it really was that variable), the PSU would fail again, and ultimately have to be replaced.

EDIT: Have a read here, might give you some ideas: http://www.randomfix.com/2007/04/19/dell-dimension-–-flashing-orange-power-light/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 d_tek

Hi,

I think that the power supply of your computer is probably dead or your motherboard could be damaged ! But I'm nearly sure that's a hardware failure because I have already the same problem ! Can you tell me the model of your Dell computer ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

biologikal wrote: »
    Could be a dead power supply unit (PSU) - I've had Dells at work (older GX150's) showing the orange flashing light, and it's always been a failing power supply.

Is the fan in the PSU blowing air out the back when you switch it on? How old is the PC, and what sort of use would it have had? Might have been overworked if it's only a 200W PSU.

I had some success in opening up the Dells, disconnecting the power connector from the mainboard, and plugging it back in, and the computer would start, but a few hours/days/weeks/months (yes, it really was that variable), the PSU would fail again, and ultimately have to be replaced.

EDIT: Have a read here, might give you some ideas: http://www.randomfix.com/2007/04/19/dell-dimension-–-flashing-orange-power-light/

Thanks for that. I'll try and find out what make and model it is and might even crack it open to give it a look see.

The only thing that confuses me is that I don't understand how the corrosion could have happened from downloading something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

The only thing that confuses me is that I don't understand how the corrosion could have happened from downloading something?

If it is a problem with the PSU or mainboard failure/corrosion, then it's just a coincidence that the PC isn't working and you think you downloaded something malicious.

If you have a look inside, see if there are any marks on the mainboard. Might be hard to pinpoint though (not all faulty components look any different to good ones), you may have to bring it to a shop to have a look at, unless you know someone who can help, or have spare equipment (like another PC you could swap out PSUs with).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can we get your Dell Model number please. It could be a range of issues, but I dont think its software (ie virus) related.

Note: That quote from Spankeh is unrelated. Its basically whats known as a WHOIS lookup - information on a particular domain name owner (the domain in question being TECHSAV.COM).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

yeah if its a GX260, GX270 or GX620 it could be a power supply problem
    also the GX270 have a problem with faulty motherboards

Sorry to ressurect this thread but it turns out my computer was fine for a while, you just had to hammer the button for a while and it would turn on. Then it was a case off not turning it off. I went away for four days and had to turn it off. Now I can't turn it on again. It's still blinking but I've continually hammered the button with no result. Could it just have warmed down or something?

Model number is (I think) Dell Dimension 5150 but like I said I'm not good with this stuff and there are alot of numbers on the box

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

superfly wrote: »
    yeah if its a GX260, GX270 or GX620 it could be a power supply problem
    also the GX270 have a problem with faulty motherboards
    Check the larger capacitors on the motherboard and the ones hidden behind the CPU for bulging , they should be flat on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

Don't rule out viruses just yet, some viruses attack the Bios of the motherboard, that would prevent you booting back into windows.

Nevermind, flicked the orange switch at the back and the power thingy blew up beside my ear. Is it possible to salvage the harddrive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

Nevermind, flicked the orange switch at the back and the power thingy blew up beside my ear. Is it possible to salvage the harddrive

It may be possible to save the drive if the power supply hasnt blown it simply remove it from the pc and if you have another pc you could get an adapter to convert to usb then plug into second computer or simply install it in second computer but first if you could locate a working power supply u could install this in the damaged computer it may work again but its likely motherboard is fried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭CHW

If it's a Dell Dimension 5150, it's probably only 4 or 5 years old, not something I'd be looking to salvage the harddrive from. Sounds like all you need to do is replace the power supply.

Advertisement