Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cinema Idiots

• 13-05-2003 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

What do ye Think is the worst cinema in Dublin to see a film in ..
    Not nec 'cause of decor,sound etc...(Stella take a bow)
    ..but more to do with chatterboxes/general skangers?
    i've had some pretty s**t experiences in the Savoy...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

:mad:

went to see x2 the other day, i had the misfortune of sitting next to some little kid that said "LOOK DAD, <insert name here>!"
    every single ****ing time a new character appeared on screen.

and every time there were any decent special effects & every time nightcrawler bamf'd, he'd say "WOW, DID YOU SEE THAT DAD!?!?!?"

kids shouldn't be allowed into cinemas
    that wasn't in dublin btw, i just felt like getting it off my chest

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Byzantine

Too True!
    been there..felt the urge to destroy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I find its packs of 16-20 year olds that make most of the noise in the cinema near me, throwing popcorn up the front etc, mobiles everywhere, one of them I have heard playing snake in the middle of a film......... bloody annoying. They chat and laugh for ages mid film aswell, they must practice distrupting the cinema or something. Kids dont seem to be much of a problem in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

Originally posted by Pugsley
    I find its packs of 16-20 year olds that make most of the noise in the cinema

More like 9-15 year olds in my opinion (particularly the pikey types). And what the fudge are young 'uns doing attending movies with 18 ratings?

{FUSSY OLDER PERSON}
    The world has gone mad!
    {/FUSSY OLDER PERSON}

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Saw lotr fellowship of the ring in the ormonde in stillorgan.

Big group of girls around 15ish. Not pikey's, more like d4 kind of people. They clearly didnt like this kind of film. Stupid hype/advertising. Kind of ruined the film a bit for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I presume these are all suburban muliplex type cinemas you're all refering to in your tales of woe?

I don't know why it is but the cinemas in the city centre never seem to have this kind of patron .... hense I only go to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Saw lotr fellowship of the ring in the ormonde in stillorgan.

Big group of girls around 15ish. Not pikey's, more like d4 kind of people. They clearly didnt like this kind of film. Stupid hype/advertising. Kind of ruined the film a bit for me.

Had the same experience watching first LOTR film. Group of 12 - 16 year old guys and girls talking, laughing and phoning people. I walked calmly over and then in my best hushed nasty voice I told them that I worked in the cinema and if they didn't either leave or shut the **** up then I'd have them banned for 3 months at the least.

They shut the **** up and then left, quietly, 5 minutes later.

(I don't work in the cinema - just thought the threat would have more weight if they thought I did)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

That one is fecking classic can't wait to try it out.

Its amazing the Americans don't make a noise in the cinema generally. Been to 2 or 3 and except for some gimp who kept kicking the back of my chair(turned around about to give out **** and it appeared his girlfriend was going down on him so I said to myself fair enough mate I'd start kicking chairs too) they've been very well behaved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

People that refuse to turn off their mobile aftre the countless messages displayed will be the death of me:mad:

[/counts to ten]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I go to UGC a lot.
    You get the odd teenage bunch of girls talking, but the most annoying group of people by far are chineses students.
    Everytime there is more than on chinese student sitting near me the just talk loudly for the whole film.
    Can they not be quiet, is it an impossiblity for them.
    I'm being turned into a racist now because whenever chinese students come in and sit near me in the cinema, i have to get up and sit far away.
    Does the term chinese whispers have any relevence here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

IMO, UGC takes the biscuit for the worst cinema in Dublin. Just about every time I've been there (and I've been there quite a few times in the past), theres always skangers in there who are either drunk, stoned or both. And there nearly always people smoking (which I have to say that the UGC staff do little to prevent).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Yeah, i've gone in there to the first show, around 11:00am some weekends and the place is filthy.The place where they sell the food is disgusting.
    I don't think they clean it at all at night.
    If they clean it at all they leave it til the next day.
    Imagine all of the germs and **** that grows overnight.
    And there's a security guard there who has the worst Body Odour i have ever smelled.
    When he walks up or down the stairs there is a trail of a stink left there.
    If he was a convict they wouldn't need sniffer dogs to catch him.
    Maybe someone should email this thread to UGC, or can you email them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

UGC can be bad I have started to wait til a couple of weeks after a film is out to go see it and then I usually go on a Monday or Tuesday evening/night so theres no ****ing kids.

I miss the atmosphere of going to a packed cinema but it wasn't good for my rage.

I just find it unbelievable that cinemas don't have staff supervising showings, they have about a hundred useless ****ers selling you popcorn and checking your ticket but nobody to ensure the thying you're there for goes smoothly.

Useless ****ing ****s.

I had to move six times before X2 even started due to the fact that some tall of fat **** kept sitting in front of me. Drove me ****ing nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

The last 2 times I went to UCI I ended up sitting beside people who wouldn't shut-up during the film. One was a gang of young ones more interested in what happened the previous night than what was happening on-screen. But more annoyingly was a middle-aged couple who talked , in normal voice level, about what was happening on-screen.

Ster Cinema is the besgt palce to watch a movie (imho), - never had a problem there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

The cinema in Enniscorthy has to be the worst one I've EVER been in. *shudder*

They forget to turn off the background music when the film starts. The picture is always out of focus. The sound and the picture are never in sync. The popcorn is stale and the coke is flat. The toilets are filthy(although they do have toilet roll)
    aaaaannnnd
    every time I'm there, there seem to be pikeys drinking and shaggin not even in the back rows but in the front rows.

I've moved now so I don't go there any more.
    THANK GOD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I dont go to UCI for that reason, well i still go cos it is the closist cinema to me but i dont always enjoy it... i perfer going into town. I hate those scumbags, the like 16 and yunger ones that i dont know how got into an 18s movie cos they look about 5, GeeZeus! I hate them cos they run around and talk and the like. I wish you could bring firearms into cinemas for my own personal protection againt noise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Remind me never to go the cinema in Dublin

Never had any major problems in any of the cinemas in Cork. Theres usually staff on hand to sort anything out

Only thing that really pisses me off is wrappers and plastic bags they seem to get louder and louder as the film goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

ugc is the worst becuase the queue to buy a ticket is always soo bloody long you have to turn up the day before and sleep out overnight to get to the head of the queue before your film starts.

the ifc is getting atrocious for latecomers - these people are supposed to be intelligent, but obviously can't read the signs that say most films start on time without trailers. who the hell would want to join a film half-an-hour into it? twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I was in Virgin the day after it opened. Mmm. Pristine. Clean. Large. Mmm.

But I thought to myself.

Why

Why Why Why

Oh god Why

Did they put it on the bloody NORTHSIDE.

And look what happened to it. I have to say the management of the place does little for it. If you don't employ the staff you can't run a business like that and they simply don't have enough staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    I was in Virgin the day after it opened. Mmm. Pristine. Clean. Large. Mmm.

But I thought to myself.

Why

Why Why Why

Oh god Why

Did they put it on the bloody NORTHSIDE.

And look what happened to it. I have to say the management of the place does little for it. If you don't employ the staff you can't run a business like that and they simply don't have enough staff.

Don't be a f**ckin dope. "They put it on the northside". What's wrong with that?

If it's gone to sh*te it's the management's fault, nothing to do with location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Cant say i ever had a bad experience.. Ster Century is usually class... though the idiots with their mobiles i will never understand.. at least put it on silent so you still know you had a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I agree with the problem being somewhat related to its location. If it wasnt in such close proximity to so many scangers on the northside maybe its clientele would be less likely to fuck it up? Say if it was on leeson street instead...(Plus walking all the way over to it annoys me immensely, Id love if there was a nice cinema next to stephens green!)

on topic, I find the savoy in town / liffey valley are normally ok, never usually any trouble :e

Holy Crap the snobbery

"so many scangers on the northside"

Have you ever even been to the Northside?
    Just because someone dresses different to you
    doesn't mean their "scangers"

"Oh look Percy, their wearing runners..........how common!"

Any trouble I have ever been in town has ALWAYS involved posh Ruggerbuger heads. Most of the people on the northside are fine.

BTW I know this is OT but I can't help it with idiots like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Smiler
    "Oh look Percy, their wearing runners..........how common!"
    :D

Now now, Im not saying that the Northside is the worst place in Dublin (just look at South-West Dublin like), im just saying the chances of being robbed / mugged / offended by the populations clothing choice / etc are much higher than if you were to be in a nice area of South-Eastern Dublin.

Ive never seen a gang of 'ruggerbugger heads' going around grafton street looking for fights, maybe you should just hop out of that bright orange tracksuit and stop making fun of them eh? Might reduce your 'trouble'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Oooohhhhhh! BURN!

I have never had any problems the Savoy, it's always nice and mostly skanger free. Can't say that about Liffey Valley though. That place is such a kip nowadays and people are often assaulted by scum outside it or at the bus stop. I still go there though because it's closer to where I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Originally posted by richindub2
    Now now, Im not saying that the Northside is the worst place in Dublin (just look at South-West Dublin like), im just saying the chances of being robbed / mugged / offended by the populations clothing choice / etc are much higher than if you were to be in a nice area of South-Eastern Dublin.

Ive never seen a gang of 'ruggerbugger heads' going around grafton street looking for fights, maybe you should just hop out of that bright orange tracksuit and stop making fun of them eh? Might reduce your 'trouble'...

ROLF :D jeez thats funny....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Went to see the Matrix: Reloaded in Ster Century on Monday.

I usually find there's never many problems in Ster Century, but it just happened to be this time.

Two oldish women (40's) on my right, whispering to eachother throughout the film, and a young couple on my left, doing 'stuff' (No particulars, but I could see hand movements out of the corner of my eye, and his leg was moving rather 'vigourously'). I was sitting 5 rows from the front. And people's phones kept going off.

Frankly, since I got the DVD player at home, and the surround sound, I find watching movies at home far more enojyable, and not entirely lacking behind the cinema.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I agree with the problem being somewhat related to its location. If it wasnt in such close proximity to so many scangers on the northside maybe its clientele would be less likely to fuck it up? Say if it was on leeson street instead...(Plus walking all the way over to it annoys me immensely, Id love if there was a nice cinema next to stephens green!)

on topic, I find the savoy in town / liffey valley are normally ok, never usually any trouble :e
    Uh - isn't the Savoy literally five minute's walk away from the UGC? Kinda makes your whole "location, location, location" argument null and void, doesn't it?

Idiots are idiots, wherever you go.

Not really, Im arguing that the Northside is a scumfilled festering sore on the side of Dublin more so than that the Savoy is much better than UGC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Not really, Im arguing that the Northside is a scumfilled festering sore on the side of Dublin more so than that the Savoy is much better than UGC...
    Ah, comedy laughs.
    I don't think anyone can defend Dublin - North or South. It's an entirely awful place, filled with entirely awful people.
    So... what's it got to do with this thread?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The Savoy being on the southside, of course.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

the cinema in wexford town anyone?

it actually smells like cow crap. no doubt due to generations of farmers coming in in their mucky, turd infested wellies for the family day out

Originally posted by DeVore
    The Savoy being on the southside, of course.

DeV.

No, more that the Savoy is slightly better than UGC but either of them would be a hell of a lot better if they were on the South side.

And Obeygiant, it was relevent to the thread as it concerned ugc / the savoy's location but now its sorta spiraling off on its own so ill drop it :P

(also, some parts of Dublin are nice!)

• Advertisement

Totally of the original topic but....

Hmmm..... I've been going out with a girl from the Southside for about 5 years. And in that time I have met more snobby gits (like you) than I care to remember. You see luckily for me I don't talk like a "skanger" or dress like one, so the "snobby gits" are quite surprised when I tell them I'm from "the noirthsoide"

"Oh really but why aren't you wearing a tracksuit" ha ha chaf chaf!" is usually what I get after I tell them.

And this used to really annoy me, but then I realized I can go anywhere in Dublin. I can go to the fanciest places & I can also walk down Darndale in the middle of the night if I want to.

While you have to stay in your little nice warm protected fabricated life and sit there on the internet slagging off people because they can't afford as nice clothes as you or drive daddy's BMW.

What a Sad person you are..... :D

Again sorry everyone for going OT
    I just hate this ignorant crap

Oh and just one last point. The 3 lads that kicked the sh*te out that Librarian on Grafton St. Where where they from? How expensive where the solicitors that they walked into the copshop the next morning with? Weren't two of them tennis pro's

"Oh.... like..... sorry Mr Gardai.......like he was like slagging by backhand like"

"Yeah he totally deserved it ..........like"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

lads get a grip, the Northside is just misunderstood, its really much safer than the Southside, all those junkies andstuff are just propaganda spread by those devious jocks.

Advertisement