Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Passat CC

• 11-09-2012 11:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi

Ive been a long time reader of boards but this this is my first post. Im raising this as I dont know an awful lot about cars

im interested in this car :

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Passat/2.0-TDI-/29213461721527400/advert?channel=CARS

Does anyone have any opinions on this model of car ? i.e the 138 BHP Automatic ? good/bad/stay away from it

It has high miles for a 2008 but its had 7 services already ( every 10,000 miles or so ) and will be getting an 8th soon ( or so they tell me )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

My first thought is that that's a fairly hefty premium to have your Passat squished.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Anan1 wrote: »
    My first thought is that that's a fairly hefty premium to have your Passat squished.

Sorry, im probably thick, but I dont understand

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Debs_Mann

I love this car, but the mileage is quite high for the year, and you will probably run in to replacing expensive parts quicker than with a lower mileage one, though if it is the auto gear box that is swaying you, it may be harder to find one.

I would think long and hard about this one, before parting with your money

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tony D

Nice car, mileage too high for the money and that Garage would not be my first choice

Thanks all. I like an auto gear box, but dont know how reliable these DSG ones are.
    Mileage is high alright but does the fact that it has been serviced every 10,000 miles not count for something. Timing belt and water pump also done at 63,000 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Whats wrong with an ordinary Passat ?
    Is the CC worth that much over an ordinary one ? I doubt it.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Whats wrong with an ordinary Passat ?
    Is the CC worth that much over an ordinary one ? I doubt it.

Nothing wrong with the ordrinary Passat at all to be honest
    But the passat CC does like a bit nicer.
    I hear what your saying about the extra cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I think it a great looking car, then you sit inside and realise you've been suckered and it is just a Passat wherever you look. Pity they didn't make the interior feel more bespoke.

OSI wrote: »
    The DSG's are reliable as long as they have been serviced properly and on time.

and does this car sound like its been serviced at the correct intervals ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭FR85

I wouldn't be worried about the milage once the car has been looked after. It's a diesel, It'll go forever in the right hands. My Altea with the 2.0 TDI 170 has 128,000 miles on it and it's a flying machine. I was looking a US based TDI Club Forum a while back and there were guys there with 500,000+ miles on their VW's.

See if you can haggle over the price though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a UK import so that sort of mileage on a UK car of that age would be normal if it was used on the motorway network. Make sure to verify the service history with the UK garages that serviced it as having a service history is the norm in the UK unlike over here.

The UK CC has different spec to the Irish ones, Irish models have half leather/alcantara seats, wood effect dash, auto lights, auto wipers and PDC as standard whereas UK spec models have fabric sports seats, touch screen stereo with advanced PDC and titanium dash.

The reason the CC fetches a premium over the regular Passat is because first they cost alot more when new, secondly they are prettier than a regular Passat and thirdly they are rare over here making second hand models sought after. The DSG box is also even rarer and the transmision to have.

Just be aware that the CC upto mid 2010 was a four seater only, they didn't get a middle rear seat until mid 2010.

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's a UK import so that sort of mileage on a UK car of that age would be normal if it was used on the motorway network. Make sure to verify the service history with the UK garages that serviced it as having a service history is the norm in the UK unlike over here.

The UK CC has different spec to the Irish ones, Irish models have half leather/alcantara seats, wood effect dash, auto lights, auto wipers and PDC as standard whereas UK spec models have fabric sports seats, touch screen stereo with advanced PDC and titanium dash.

The reason the CC fetches a premium over the regular Passat is because first they cost alot more when new, secondly they are prettier than a regular Passat and thirdly they are rare over here making second hand models sought after. The DSG box is also even rarer and the transmision to have.

Just be aware that the CC upto mid 2010 was a four seater only, they didn't get a middle rear seat until mid 2010.

It was actually a Northern Ireland car. Was brought in from there in June 2009. So the majority of its life has been down here. Had only one service up the north. All the rest of the services were down here in the South at the same garage.

And yeah, this car has the nice touch screen stero and all that. And I seen that it has only 4 seats

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EC 777

Hi

I just came across your query doing some research for my new website which I am launching soon. I have 30 years retail motor experience and am putting together a vehicle sourcing website with full history and miles reports .

A few questions for you with regard to the car ?

Have you got a history report done ?
    Do you need an automatic ?
    Amount of services does look a bit high compared to similar vehicles from the UK ...
    Miles would be about right for a diesel ... It is much better to see correct miles than a car that has been adjusted ( clocked ) so that it looks great and looks good value.

A quick look and I could probably get you a similar car in manual with slightly higher miles and full service history and report for about 15k

Sorry, im probably thick, but I dont understand
    I meant that the CC is a Passat that looks squashed and costs more - I don't see the attraction over the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I meant that the CC is a Passat that looks squashed and costs more - I don't see the attraction over the original.

It may look like a squished one but it still looks much nicer in my opinion. The interior of any of the ones I have seen is much nicer than the normal passat and most seem to come very well equipped. I think I've seen it said the Irish spec is unusually better than the uk one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Its a visual thing, it looks nice (eye of the beholder and all that).
    In Qatar right now and they are a common exec limo type car, saw 15 of them in a row and they looked fantastic, moreso when you remember this is a VW Passat! Though over here badged like the yanks, a far more appealing "VW CC".

If the OP likes it enough to justify the extra cost then by all means go for it - it just doesn't do it for me, that's all. Like you say, taste is a personal thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

When it comes to cars people do some crazy things .Think you would be nuts to buy it .Mileage crazy ,price crazy and then its an import as well.

codie wrote: »
    When it comes to cars people do some crazy things .Think you would be nuts to buy it .Mileage crazy ,price crazy and then its an import as well.

Well If I was being crazy, I just would have went in and bought the car without even thinking about it : )

I dont see whats wrong with a car being imported though
    Also, id prefer to buy a car with 80,000 miles and 8 services as opposed to a car with 50,000 miles and 2 services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

What's wrong with imports? Particularly ones like this that were imported early in their life. Mileage is slightly above above average but not crazy esp with a good service history. Price is ambitious to say the least though.

• Advertisement

veetwin wrote: »
    What's wrong with imports?
    Rightly or wrongly, they're worth a bit less than cars sold here new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Do Garages punish you when trading in an import? As in is it another excuse to give you a poor price for your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Jofspring wrote: »
    Do Garages punish you when trading in an import? As in is it another excuse to give you a poor price for your car.

The car, history and condition are usually of much more importance. Unless it's a Vauxhaul or some model we don't get here I've never know it to be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is a typical knee jerk reply for your average Irish joe. While the price might be high for a Passat of it's age, it is a rare enough model that is sought after meaning used prices stay steady as long as demand outstrips supply. The mileage is abit above average too for a 4 year old diesel but not excessive and if it has a full verifed service history then it is hardly going to implode which average joe seems to think happens when a car reaches 100k miles.
    Rightly or wrongly, they're worth a bit less than cars sold here new.

Maybe in the past when used imports were less common but UK import resale values are about on a par with Irish used cars these days. Most people are aware now that the majority of them are better looked after than Irish equivilants. In fact I would rather pay a little extra for a mint UK import with a full service history than a typical abused Irish model with no record of a oil change ever been done.

I have said it before, the mileage is a bit high for the money and I would not spend that sort of cash in that garage. You would have to be 100 percent on the mileage too I personally would like to know the uk reg and do a hpi check on it to verify its history

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭obi604

Tony D wrote: »
    I have said it before, the mileage is a bit high for the money and I would not spend that sort of cash in that garage. You would have to be 100 percent on the mileage too I personally would like to know the uk reg and do a hpi check on it to verify its history

What's wrong with the garage ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

it's a beautiful car, like some have said here, check the mileage and the service history are genuine, try get uk reg as well and check the history there, if all that checks out then all you need to do is haggle a good price, there is always room for movement on price especially if you're talking cash, and what about a warranty?. the mileage is high(ish) but only for the year, not for the engine,that will go on forever (if it is looked after).

obi604 wrote: »
    What's wrong with the garage ?

Google it and read for yourself

I have viewed a few cars there and never really impressed with the stock, but I suppose that is what you can expect with non-franchise dealer.

I personally either buy main dealer or privately, but that is just my preference

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

One of my colleagues has an automatic passat cc, it's a lovely car to be driven in, loads of room, very nice experience.

He loves it, has had it from new the past couple of years with no issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement