Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT - Driving licene or passoport only!!!

• 11-09-2012 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I know we discussed about it here before.
    I know some people got away with different form of ID or even without any, but that was probably a while ago.

But now they seem to be very strict -- no passport or driving licence = no test.

I had my NCT today, and realised yesterday evening, that I won't be able to provide any of those documents. My driving licence was left with county council for exchange last week, so I don't have it. While with my passport the story is that when I was visiting my family in Poland recently, I forgot to take it back with me. So I had none of those documents, and my wife couldn't go for a test as she was working at the time.
    I decided I'll chance it, and I'll go there with my Polish personal ID (document which should be recognised as ID anywhere in the EU).
    Unfortunately it didn't work. Guy at reception of NCT said no matter how much he wanted to accept it, he couldn't.

I ended up asking some random guy who was there as he had his car tested, for a favour. I gave him 55 quid, VRC and keys to my car, asked him to present my car for a test as surely he had his licence with him.

All worked good, but I'm posting it here as a little warning for those who wonder if they really need ID for NCT or not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Think I might hang around an NCT centre and try make a few quid. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Arent they the only official ID in this country?
    Im not surprized by this to be honest and i think theres no problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

kceire wrote: »
    Arent they the only official ID in this country?

I actually don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Good solution OP. Perversely, you shouldn't be driving without your license on your person.....

mitosis wrote: »
    Good solution OP. Perversely, you shouldn't be driving without your license on your person.....

Maybe I shouldn't, but I must drive.
    Not my fault that county council needed to take my document off me for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Just out of curiosity, how did you get back into the country from Poland without your passport...?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

CiniO wrote: »
    I actually don't think so.

EU National ID Cards in Ireland can be used at the Border but thats about it.

In Ireland there is no requirement for what is acceptable identification inside the border.

For the Gardai its whatever satisfies them that you are who you say you are.

For an off license they sometimes just specify Garda Age Card, Passport isn't even acceptable.

There is no EU Harmonization for identification within individual member states.

Another example is in the Netherlands, non Dutch driving licenses are not valid Identification when transferring ownership of a vehicle.

So basically, you can use your National ID card for sure traveling between the Schengen and Non Schengen Countries.

Whether you can use it as ID in that countries is a crap shoot, passport is usually the only guaranteed one.
    djimi wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how did you get back into the country from Poland without your passport...?!!

You can travel with just an ID card within the EU.

E.G.
    dsresource?objectid=BPRextern:4614&versionid=&disposition=inline

djimi wrote: »

Same as I always get here - with my National ID card.
    No need to carry a passport within EU if you hold National ID card.

Generally this card should be accepted everywhere, even in Ireland.
    And I must say NCT was the first place ever that didn't accept it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Same as I always get here - with my National ID card.
    No need to carry a passport within EU if you hold National ID card.

Generally this card should be accepted everywhere, even in Ireland.
    And I must say NCT was the first place ever that didn't accept it for me.

Ah fair enough. Thought you needed a passport.

Whether you can use it as ID in that countries is a crap shoot, passport is usually the only guaranteed one.

So far, I used my Polish ID card in Banks, Garda, Post office, public offices, etc in Ireland without any bother. NCT is the only exception.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not really complaining - it's their rules and let it be - usually normally everyone has driving licence with them - it was just an exception.

But it's funny that if I came with Polish driving licence, they would have to accept it, even though they wouldn't understand what is what as everything there is described in Polish (even some garda mismatched surnames with prawo jazdy which is polish for driving licence), but they refused to accept Polish ID card, which is all described both in Polish and English and everything can be read clearly from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

If you drive to the test centre you should have your licence simple as...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

-Corkie- wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80044372

How can you have your licence with you, if you don't have it at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Why do they require any ID at all? This is a private company that has been given a license by the state to test cars. Simple as that. Why does anyone have to show them their ID?

The burgeoning requirements for people to constantly prove that they are who they say they are is very 1984'ish and reminiscent of some sort of old soviet style dictatorships

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

So far, I used my Polish ID card in Banks, Garda, Post office, public offices, etc in Ireland without any bother. NCT is the only exception.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not really complaining - it's their rules and let it be - usually normally everyone has driving licence with them - it was just an exception.

But it's funny that if I came with Polish driving licence, they would have to accept it, even though they wouldn't understand what is what as everything there is described in Polish (even some garda mismatched surnames with prawo jazdy which is polish for driving licence), but they refused to accept Polish ID card, which is all described both in Polish and English and everything can be read clearly from it.

Completely agree with you, but I've had the same experience :)

For the NCT Tester he's just going by the book, they could accept a National ID Card or a Bus Eireann bus pass if they wanted to.

Its up to the NCT Crowd what they accept as ID, there isn't any law saying they have to accept a National ID card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sorry I dont read every entire thread on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This NCT id idea is as a result of the problems they had with testers taking bribes and passing cars. Now, with the requirement for id from the person presenting the car, they can look for patterns and spot where someone brings alot of cars to a specific tester all the time for example. This is why it is the id of the person presenting the car and not the registered owner that is required - to spot traders bringing in cars to specific tester.
    Anyway, as said earlier in the thread, it shouldnt be an issue for anyone driving up to test centre to have a driving licence on them. Cinio case is an exception but also very unusual.

Sorry I dont read every entire thread on Boards.

:)
    But I explained that in my original post.
    My driving licence was left with county council for exchange last week, so I don't have it.

Advertisement