Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for estate, what options?

• 28-02-2015 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Ok so family is getting bigger and need to get estate. We had a golf and just sold today so looking at cash buy. The other car we have is Qashqai which I got for the extra space etc. Didnt really check enough to be honest because the boot is small.

Budget around 18k

We have had a small look around so far and these are the options:
    BMW 3 Series Estate: Found the boot space small
    Audi A4 Avant: Nice car, rather the interior to the BMW, Boot space similar to 3 series
    Audi A6 Avant: Very few available but would be perfect, everything out there +100k miles
    Audi A6: Boot space might work but again very hard to get any with low mileage
    5 series Estate: haven't really looked properly at this option and doesn't seem to be many around
    Passat Estate: I like the Passat, wife doesn't. It is a monster in terms of space. Would like the 2ltr engine but not any around.

Just wondering if there is other options? Also the Skoda is out of consideration.....

The Audi A6 would probably be perfect but I am wary of losing a fortune on car just under 100k miles when buying, I found before with Passat etc that the price takes a nose dive after the clock goes over 100k.....is it any different with the Audi?

Any help would be great.....oh yeah diesel on everything :D

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Skoda superb combi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-sat-nav-leather-blueto/8638843?offset=16

Over budget I know but gives you the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,413 ✭✭✭ofcork

A lot of guys here would say the superb edit ferris beat me to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ferris wrote: »
    Skoda superb combi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-sat-nav-leather-blueto/8638843?offset=16

Over budget I know but gives you the idea.

Would be able to stretch to this price range....

Just not sure the superb are as comfy etc as the A6 would be.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cannot imagine a 1.6 diesel engine being very pleasurable lumping around a body the size and weight of a Superb estate and loaded with people or gear.

What about the Volvo V70, the daddy of estates with a decent engine to lug it around:

media?xwm=y&id=65629450-04ce-4f3b-8f06-3b4e6d62b589&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volvo/V70/....€750-ROAD/147114248634540240/

Could surely be bought for the same money as that Superb if buying straight.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Cannot imagine a 1.6 diesel engine being very pleasurable lumping around a body the size and weight of a Superb estate and loaded with people or gear.

What about the Volvo V70, the daddy of estates with a decent engine to lug it around:

Thanks, great options and lovely looking car inside, I would have issue with €750 yearly tax. That would rule it out to be honest....

But mileage etc are great on it, I guess from the size the space is huge!!!! :D

• Advertisement

The above average rate of motor tax is the main reason it's so much car for the money. But to put it into perspective, it would have cost €1080 on the old system. If your looking for something with lower tax then you may have to compromise on year or mileage.

Might be worth a look too:
    media?xwm=y&id=dcf6d865-2094-40b9-8bb1-08ff4b0224b8&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/508/SW-ALLURE/145814241064082610/

They are a fairly good car but tend to get overlooked because their French, in reality they are no more or less reliable than their German rivals. Decent spec on that one too and relatively new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Subaru Legacy estate or Outback

Might be worth a look too:

They are a fairly good car but tend to get overlooked because their French, in reality they are no more or less reliable than their German rivals. Decent spec on that one too and relatively new.

I like the Peugeot but the resale value would concern me, I wold guess based on carzone etc that Audi/VW/BMW hold there vale a lot better over 4-5 years than a Peugeot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Superb, every time. They're a very comfortable car, especially in Elegance spec like the one linked above, hard to beat for kit too at that price. With regards the engine, the 1.6 is adequate in that car, my dad had the 1.9 Mk.II with equal performance and he never found it lacking, in fact, he way prefers it to his current 1.6 Mondeo.

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I like the Peugeot but the resale value would concern me, I wold guess based on carzone etc that Audi/VW/BMW hold there vale a lot better over 4-5 years than a Peugeot

Something that holds strong resale value also costs more to buy in the first place which means you will be buying an older car with more mileage for your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mondeo Titanium Estate should be a contender.
    Skoda Superb would probably be my choice though if budget stretched to it. Serious nice car, comfortable too.

Something that holds strong resale value also costs more to buy in the first place which means you will be buying an older car with more mileage for your budget.

I have more of issues if like the Passat the value of lets say an Audi A6 drop dramtically once it goes over 100k miles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Been looking around myself recently, have a look at the i40 tourer. Well spec'd car and for that money you should be able to get one with a good bit of the manufacture warranty left on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Been looking around myself recently, have a look at the i40 tourer. Well spec'd car and for that money you should be able to get one with a good bit of the manufacture warranty left on it.

I drove an i40 recently and was shockingly disappointed with the seats, verry uncomfortable. I do have back problems but there is no decently placed support.. Otherwise a nice drive, the cornering lights take a bit of getting used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Seat Exeo

If the OP found the boot space small on the A4 Avant then he is very unlikely to find it any bigger in the Exeo which is really an A4 launched 15 years ago.

If the OP found the boot space small on the A4 Avant then he is very unlikely to find it any bigger in the Exeo which is really an A4 launched 15 years ago.

Sorry not small on the A4, but the Passat is a monster compared to it

Might have something but checking on people opinion.....

Audi A6 Estate, circa 80k miles on it. It is the base SE model. Diesel. 2011

Been offering for 18k. Seems like a good deal. Comes with service history....

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help, in the end went with Audi A4 Avant SE, 68k miles on it....very happy with it so far

Thanks for all the posts....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sam ford

looking at an estate, i40??? can give a lot of pressure plate trouble in that after 80 - 100kms the heavy feel to clutch pedal and difficult gear slection, been covered under warrenty at moment, I hear from my friend that has one,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

Citroen C5 , I had a loan of one for a few days and it was like sitting in a turbocharged armchair, great spec and should not be discounted by anyone looking at a comfortable load lugger.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

davycha wrote: »
    Citroen C5 , I had a loan of one for a few days and it was like sitting in a turbocharged armchair, great spec and should not be discounted by anyone looking at a comfortable load lugger.:)
    Do you know what spec the one you drove was?. If it was a 110bhp 140bhp or 160. I'm looking at one of these also and I'd like some info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

it was the 160 BHP model , really nice spec, it had loads of power and was as i said previously as comfortable as an armchair. I had a loan of it while my car was being repaired and I was gutted to give it back:).
    I think it is for sale if you are interested in one let me know and I will provide you with a contact no.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

davycha wrote: »
    it was the 160 BHP model , really nice spec, it had loads of power and was as i said previously as comfortable as an armchair. I had a loan of it while my car was being repaired and I was gutted to give it back:).
    I think it is for sale if you are interested in one let me know and I will provide you with a contact no.
    I think the 160bhp is the later model so I'm not sure if I'm a little out of that price range. I'm not changing for a few more weeks so I'm hoping to maybe have more saved by then, I'll keep you in mind tho for when the time comes and hopefully it's not gone by then. Cheers

I think the 160bhp is the later model so I'm not sure if I'm a little out of that price range. I'm not changing for a few more weeks so I'm hoping to maybe have more saved by then, I'll keep you in mind tho for when the time comes and hopefully it's not gone by then. Cheers

What type of budget you lookign at?

Big Nelly wrote: »
    What type of budget you lookign at?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057420400

Advertisement