Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Of Sam

• 03-06-2003 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Spike Lee's film about the murder spree of the son of sam during the hot summer of 1977 in New York.

I thought this was an excelent movie. But I have met so many people who just didnt like it.

I thought it was different to see the reaction of the people during this time with this serial killer on the lose. Rather then dwelling on the dection of the killer spike lee focuses on the a group of friends and the lives during this time.

Alright so their lives are ****ed up and well so is the son of sam (Played by Micheal Badalocco, nice to see him in something else rather then the practice, he was also go in Oh brother were art thou).

Just wondering what other people thought of it.

Oh and why did n2 put it on at 1am sunday night???????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Was actually scheduled for 12.35am, didn't come on till 1am. Did RTE bother to give a "sorry, we are running behind schedule. The movie will follow this boring Australian crap"? No. Amateurs.

Anyway, have it recorded (mainly due to the fact that I fancy the pants off Mira Sorvino), think I'll watch it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

sorry, we are running behind schedule

Yes and oddly they had someone warn us of the content of the movie, why they put it on at 1am?????

I think they were behind schedule because of F1 before The Secret Life of Us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Taped it and got around to watching it today.
    Thought it was quite good,although it slowed in parts and the 5 minute long punk interludes could have been done without.I thought Spike Lees part as a reporter were a bit bizarre TBH-he should stick to the directing as he looks sort of glazed when he is infront of the camera.I dont know,maybe he was imitating a reporter of the time but he looked very bad at it*shrugs*
    As cool as it was the whole swingers club scene was purely for impact-when you think about it it had little to do with anything.I mean,one minute she is the wife who is so pure and innocent that her husband has reservations about doing such things as oral and anal sex with her and even has some sort of semi religious proclaimation to be more moralistic and faithful,and the next he has her in a swingers club screwing men and women?WTF??!?
    The part with the talking dog was also slightly ludicrous.

All in all though Id give it 3.5/5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think Spike Lee thought that the African American Reporter he played was a sell out. I could be wrong. It is my recollection of the DVD when i Rented it 2 years ago.
    Is this true anyone know?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Great film IMO. And I was chuffed that RTE were behind schedule that night, I watched Reservoir Dogs, then flicked over expecting it to be half way through and it was just started! God bless incompetency!!
    Love Adrien Brody in it... and some great music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

God, it had some nice women in it. Quite good for an rte movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Originally posted by PiE
    (mainly due to the fact that I fancy the pants off Mira Sorvino)

win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Spike Lee's part was definitely meant to be rather dopey and a bit of a sell-out. I thought it was an amazing film the first time I saw it in the cinema, less impressed second time around, but still a very good film. There's a couple of excellent scenes in it - like the dance scene with John Leguizamo and Mira Sorvino where everyone else disappears.

Plus the talking dog is somewhat cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i really didn't like it, i found myself hating all of the people in the movie and i was looking forward to them getting killed my sam.... then nothing! they didn't even die! maybe next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

First time I saw the movie I wasn't at all impressed. Watched again on TV last week it went up in my estimation a lot. In fact I'm gonna go see 25th hour now on the strength of the good impression it made.

But John Leguizamo tho! What's the deal with this guy? How the hell is he rated as a top actor? And if his acting wasn't bad enough he has to be ugly in a demonic kind of way. Every time I just look at or hear the fella I want to throw up! Sort your teeth out mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement