Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazda 6 - diesel engine problems

• 15-07-2009 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi All,

Just wondering how many people have suffered problems with their Mazda 6 diesel engines?

My reason for asking is that mine, a 2006 with 68k on the clock, developed a serious knock on the way to work on Monday. The dealer tells me they rarely go wrong, but searching on Google tells a different story.

Does anyone else have experience of these going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Friend of mine had a cracked intercooler - but apart from that all ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...if it's a knock, it's down to two things:

1. DMF - it's a consumable part, so suck it up ! OEM part is Eur1100 iirc, whilst a LuK replacement kit is less than half that. That's if you're lucky.......

2. More likely, though, is the fact that it's big end no 4 on the crank that's gone. That's if you're unlucky. And it's going to cost you. New short block from Mazda Irl is Eur 2800 + VAT (less than the cost of the sum of it's parts......)

.......and you'll need a new DMF to go with it, as well, and the labour to fit, all.

Going to be an expensive day out, either way - but do post up on the verdict, sorry for your troubles.....

Realistically, I've had to scrap my 02 car with 88k miles on it. Not a good experience.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

sddaly wrote: »
    The dealer tells me they rarely go wrong

The dealer is lying. He knows full well what about the disastrous problems with the Mazda diesel engine :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yup, the diesel 6 (old) models are notoriously bad.

• Advertisement

...my SO has just spotted this now, and nearly spat her tea over the computer.

She's right - first thing; DON'T drive the car !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Mazda 6 Diesel is a wreck waiting to happen, if you believe the reports.

Check out Honest John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sddaly

Good news and bad news on the car front...

Good news, my 13 year old Corolla, that I was trying to get rid of, just passed its NCT, which is great because..

Bad news, the engine in the 6 is shagged. Big end bearing gone, and more than likely all the associated issues.

Gutted to say the least!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

A 3 year old Jap car goes bang, who would have thought it?

That is bad news OP, sorry for your trouble.

Good news and bad news on the car front...

Good news, my 13 year old Corolla, that I was trying to get rid of, just passed its NCT, which is great because..

Bad news, the engine in the 6 is shagged. Big end bearing gone, and more than likely all the associated issues.

Gutted to say the least!!

Did you get a number, for cost-of-repair ?

...if you could, could you confirm that it's #4 big-end.

I think we now have the bones of Mazda diesel bonfire here ! You can even put your 6, on top ! :o

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

fwiw, just goes to show that a 'fsh' isn't necessarily the be-all and end-all, of anything.

I have a tentative offer for my rolling Mazda shell, and rooting out the book to get the VIN, I see the service book. Serviced according to the book at:
    9148, 18758, 27218, 39661, 49523, 58890 (incl timing belt), 67759 etc..........fat load of good all that did.......

Ode To The Motorist

fwiw - got a quote today by email for a re-con engine for Eur 2240. So, add in removal/refitting, DMF, clutch, etc etc........and..........I'm edging closer to the crusher...........which is a pity - it's a fine car. Sorry, chicken coop.

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sddaly

Hi All,

Just an update, got the 6 back, final cost was just shy of 4k!!!

2900 for the engine rebuild, I don't have the invoice to hand so cant be more specific (when I find it Ill update)

1000 for the labour, (including a service after 2500 miles and both figures include VAT)

Now she is running perfectly again and is still a lovely car to drive, I just have to decide what to do with her :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

make hay while the sun shines-sell! If that happened again-ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hi All,

2900 for the engine rebuild, I don't have the invoice to hand so cant be more specific (when I find it Ill update)

1000 for the labour, (including a service after 2500 miles and both figures include VAT)

Now she is running perfectly again and is still a lovely car to drive, I just have to decide what to do with her :confused:

Jebus. That's one hell of a bill. Glad she's back in one piece, hard to know what to do really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

Hi All,

4 grand........... :eek::eek:(*faints*)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Andy013

Get rid of it asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ouch, €4k repair on a 06 Mazda 6 diesel works out at over 1/3 of the market value of the car. I'd keep it now until it dies as you will never get that money back. Trading up will cost you more money.

...now I know it isn't just me. Good candidate for a sticky, the tale is so bad.

Fwiw, I couldn't fix my diesel, and flogged it on DoneDeal. 02, 85k miles, lovely car...........for Eur 750. That's a 5-figure loss inside 18 months.

Cheaper to drive a 911, tbh............

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Friend had their 2.0D go recently too - shortly out of warranty 2006 model. New engine €10k (covered by Mazda), labour €2k (paid by them).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I heard they were bad in the Diesel area, but thats ricockules.

...I think we can permanently lay to rest the Mazda diesel as reliable thing now. At your peril, folks.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Guys,

Having read this, can I ask your opinions on th eolder Mazda 323 Diesel engine?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/GLX-2.0-/200940195359748/advert?channel=CARS

...the only certainty I'd say is, any Mazda with the RF series, common-rail turbo diesel, is to be avoided at all costs.

Older, pre-common rail stuff should - I say should -be o.k.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...the only certainty I'd say is, any Mazda with the RF series, common-rail turbo diesel, is to be avoided at all costs.

Older, pre-common rail stuff should - I say should -be o.k.

Is the latest 2.2D in the 6 a development of this do you know?

I had a petrol 6 (1.8) and whilst it wasn't the smoothest or quiestest engine in the world, they have a reputation for being unburstable. The rest of the cars are well put together too. Such a pity the 2.0D was such cack...

I know it would be slightly retrograde step but could you replace a bust 2.0d with the petrol engine? I'd be considering that if stung so badly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Friend had their 2.0D go recently too - shortly out of warranty 2006 model. New engine €10k (covered by Mazda), labour €2k (paid by them).

€10k for a new engine? That's silly money for an econobox engine. €2k for fitting it? Rip-off! I guess Mazda has your friend by the cojones though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I had a 6 for a couple of days, it was the 1.8 and it was really nice, I'm shocked at these prices for replacement engines, sounds a bit OTT.

pburns wrote: »
    Is the latest 2.2D in the 6 a development of this do you know?

I had a petrol 6 (1.8) and whilst it wasn't the smoothest or quiestest engine in the world, they have a reputation for being unburstable. The rest of the cars are well put together too. Such a pity the 2.0D was such cack...

I know it would be slightly retrograde step but could you replace a bust 2.0d with the petrol engine? I'd be considering that if stung so badly...

..wouldn't be worth the petrol engine conversion - you'd buy an entire petrol car for less than the work involved.....petrol tank, pumps, ECU, wiring loom, clutch, gearbox, the list would go on and on. By all means buy a can of petrol.........and use it to torch the car........
    unkel wrote: »
    €10k for a new engine? That's silly money for an econobox engine. €2k for fitting it? Rip-off! I guess Mazda has your friend by the cojones though :mad:
    I had gearbox cables fitted to the MPV before the engine went, and that cost 750, so that sort of price scale is not unusual for Mazda's, it would appear. As for engine price, I did up the prices before I scrapped mine, and a new long block was just under 5k iirc. I'd say the 10k mentioned above was a turn-key unit c/w turbo, ancillaries, injection pump, vacuum pump, flywheel and clutch (over 1100 alone)etc. Iirc, a cylinder head on it's own was 2k+..........crankshaft w/o bearings, 1800. Add labour to build it, and it won't be long getting out of hand.

As for buying anything common rail diesel - 2.2 or no, I would have zero faith in it. Unless they're going to give you an KIA-like unlimited 7-year warranty on it, and the car at half price, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Ode To The Motorist

pburns wrote: »
    Is the latest 2.2D in the 6 a development of this do you know?...

I believe it is.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well just found this thread so had to add to tale of woe.

I have a Mazda 6 03 diesel with 102,000 on the clock.
    Was driving fine.
    Few weeks ago driving back from West to Dublin began to notice a bit smoky when I accelerated.
    Thought nothing much since had diesels that were smoky before and I would just check it out when got home.
    Then accelerating away from toll plaza on M4 boom bang
    Engine started knocking badly, all sorts fo noises, would not shut down.
    I and the motorway were covered in smoke.
    Left trail of black on the road as I veered into hard shoulder.
    Guys in toll plaza thought I was on fire.

Anyway firstly thought it was blown turbo that sucked oil into engine but now according to mechanic turbo not totally blown and still fair amount of oilleft in sump.
    He needs to check how bad engine is, but it does not sound hopeful.
    I have been quoted 2,900 for engine import with 3 month guarantee.
    Not even reconditioned engine but just second hand.

Anyone ever heard of similar story ?

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    Well just found this thread so had to add to tale of woe.

I have a Mazda 6 03 diesel with 102,000 on the clock.
    Was driving fine.
    Few weeks ago driving back from West to Dublin began to notice a bit smoky when I accelerated.
    Thought nothing much since had diesels that were smoky before and I would just check it out when got home.
    Then accelerating away from toll plaza on M4 boom bang
    Engine started knocking badly, all sorts fo noises, would not shut down.
    I and the motorway were covered in smoke.
    Left trail of black on the road as I veered into hard shoulder.
    Guys in toll plaza thought I was on fire.

Anyway firstly thought it was blown turbo that sucked oil into engine but now according to mechanic turbo not totally blown and still fair amount of oilleft in sump.
    He needs to check how bad engine is, but it does not sound hopeful.
    I have been quoted 2,900 for engine import with 3 month guarantee.
    Not even reconditioned engine but just second hand.

Anyone ever heard of similar story ?

Tons of people have, e.g., here: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=57098&m=706170#706170

And that's just volume 1.

At least you got 20k more out your engine, than I did, mine.

Me, I don't think a used engine is worth.......zip.........even with a warranty. Way too many strings attached. Either rebuild the entire thing from the ground up, or buy a NEW engine. Anything else is only gambling. BTDT.

Me? I scrapped the car, last year: 02, 85k miles, got €750 for it, and chalked it up to .....'experience'.....:rolleyes:

Oh, a search on here, found this, too: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055486343&highlight=mazda+pump

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

Wow, I've just started looking for a new car and the Mazda 6 was on my list, but it might be coming off the list now!

I'd be looking at buying probably an '08 Mazda 6, which as far as I know is a newer model. does anyone know if Diesel engines in the newer models are different to the older ones? Or are they the same engine ( and I can therefore expect similar problems )?

Thanks...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

jasonb wrote: »
    Wow, I've just started looking for a new car and the Mazda 6 was on my list, but it might be coming off the list now!

I'd be looking at buying probably an '08 Mazda 6, which as far as I know is a newer model. does anyone know if Diesel engines in the newer models are different to the older ones? Or are they the same engine ( and I can therefore expect similar problems )?

Thanks...

J.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - this problem is blown out of proportion. It has happened, but I've heard of just as many horror stories from other makes.
    Anyhoo, if you're looking at the new model go for the newer 2.2 diesel, it's a much better engine. Good car too, best handling in its class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

While the problem might be blown out of proportion, it's hard to spend money on a car that you've heard bad things about!

With regards to the 2.2Ltr Diesel, are there any 2008 cars with this or was in only available from 2009 onwards, do you know?

J.

jasonb wrote: »
    While the problem might be blown out of proportion, it's hard to spend money on a car that you've heard bad things about!

With regards to the 2.2Ltr Diesel, are there any 2008 cars with this or was in only available from 2009 onwards, do you know?

J.
    Started creeping in in 2008, more common in 2009 alright.
    If you listen hard enough, you'll hear bad things about all cars out there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Hi All,

Just wondering how many people have suffered problems with their Mazda 6 diesel engines?

My reason for asking is that mine, a 2006 with 68k on the clock, developed a serious knock on the way to work on Monday. The dealer tells me they rarely go wrong, but searching on Google tells a different story.

Does anyone else have experience of these going wrong?

Ours did. It was a 120HP 2002 model. Lovely car to drive and we got 133000 out of her before she developed the knock. I sold it this year for 1500E to a mechanic who knew the score with the engine. Shame really as it was a great car when healthy. There's a serious design flaw with that engine. The mazda man told us to move it on sharpish when he serviced it. I was happy to be rid of it and especially so to a buyer who knew that the engine was cabbaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

The newer Mazda diesels have their problems too. They are fitted with particulate filters in the exhaust. These filters are purged by a combustion process. The Europeans add a special fluid to achieve the combustion. The Japs seem to add extra diesel to the injection process so that some passes through the engine unburned and ignites in the filter.

The problem is that some of the diesel gets past the piston rings and dilutes the engine oil. If you look at the engine you will see a sticker on the top. It shows a drawing of the dip stick with the MIN and MAX marks, and above the MAX mark is an "X". The sticker warns that the oil must be changed when the level rises to the "X".

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - this problem is blown out of proportion. It has happened, but I've heard of just as many horror stories from other makes.
    Anyhoo, if you're looking at the new model go for the newer 2.2 diesel, it's a much better engine. Good car too, best handling in its class.

...and I've said it many times before, and I'll say many more times to come.... but as an ex-owner of offending diesel, and unless you've had one, then I'm afraid my experience trumps your 'opinion'. The RF series diesel, from Mazda, is a piece of junk. If you don't believe me, see if you can get anyone in the trade to take one as a trade in..........

Now, the 2.2 may well be different, but as surely as they said that about hte RF2.0 over it's predecessor, are you willing to be the 5k guinea pig ?

And yes, all cars have problems, but not fundamental engineering flaws that dump 5k bills on people, unannounced, even with fsh. It also suffers from injection pump, DPF and DMF issues. Add them all together and you get..... a boat anchor.

Jason, if you get the car for half-nothing, and with bumper-bumper warranty for a good period, and resign yourself to getting zero for it when you're finished with it (say 2 years), then, maybe. Otherwise,....well, you might as well spend the money at the Tote at the Galway Races, tbh........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmrules

I've Mazda 6 TD 2004 and had no problems what so ever...great engine...110k without changing timing belt( i know, should have done it at 70k but no time and no money...) so not too bad... me think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

dmrules wrote: »
    I've Mazda 6 TD 2004 and had no problems what so ever...great engine...110k without changing timing belt( i know, should have done it at 70k but no time and no money...) so not too bad... me think

I can't understand how people can be proud of the fact of NOT servicing/maintaining their vehicle when required to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 markel

Thinking of getting Mazda 3 saloon 1.6 diesel on scrappage
    Any problems with these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Jonty wrote: »
    I can't understand how people can be proud of the fact of NOT servicing/maintaining their vehicle when required to.
    and then we wonder why theres a load of threads about certain engines dying at 100k, small wonder when they are not maintained!

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...and I've said it many times before, and I'll say many more times to come.... but as an ex-owner of offending diesel, and unless you've had one, then I'm afraid my experience trumps your 'opinion'. The RF series diesel, from Mazda, is a piece of junk. If you don't believe me, see if you can get anyone in the trade to take one as a trade in..........

Now, the 2.2 may well be different, but as surely as they said that about hte RF2.0 over it's predecessor, are you willing to be the 5k guinea pig ?

And yes, all cars have problems, but not fundamental engineering flaws that dump 5k bills on people, unannounced, even with fsh. It also suffers from injection pump, DPF and DMF issues. Add them all together and you get..... a boat anchor.

Jason, if you get the car for half-nothing, and with bumper-bumper warranty for a good period, and resign yourself to getting zero for it when you're finished with it (say 2 years), then, maybe. Otherwise,....well, you might as well spend the money at the Tote at the Galway Races, tbh........
    Not an opinion, one sitting in my driveway, 2004, own it 3 years, and mate has one with nearly 140k miles, neither have blown up, so therefore my "opinion" as you call it is actually based on fact, and I've got 100% more backup to my story than you have! :D
    They don't have a dual-mass flywheel, so not sure where you got that from, and the DPF is only in the newer ones. Fuel pumps, injectors and EGR valves are common to ALL diesel engines thanks to they being pushed too hard and our fuel being absolute dirt.
    Also, I know people who've owned Saab 9-3 and Vectra diesels who've had nothing but problems, but you haven't had any with yours. Again, who's right?
    It's like anything. You ask someone who has owned the one that broke and they'll warn everyone off them. You ask the rest and they'll recommend them.
    I don't know of one single diesel engine from ANY manufacturer made in the last 10 years that has had zero problems.
    Conclusion? Buy petrol, or take your chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Very few 6 diesels were sold in Ireland relative to the other more mainstream diesel models that you seem to think are just as troublesome. The bottom line with these cars from personal experience, from other users on here, and in reports from hundreds if not thousands of owners suggests very strongly that there is a fundamental and unacceptable level of engine failure attributable to that engine. I didn't like hearing it when I heard it first because these stories devalued the value of the car but that's life. The fact that the Mazda main dealer mechanic stated what I knew already only strengthens the point.
    Your car may be fine but many, too many are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Just wondering. I know wheres there is a really clean 03 mazda 6 but the engine is seized. I can get it for 1k. Would it be worth buying it and doing it up or a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nick95

my car is mazda 626 2.2 diesel , the problem is that : the engine starts hard and when it starts automatically stops .. but when i hold GAS it not stop .. help !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eadyzrx1200

Just had my 2005 Mazda 6 2lt diesel go pop. The problem is i cant find another engine anywhere, does anyone know if any other diesel engines are compatible with it (ford etc)

Just had my 2005 Mazda 6 2lt diesel go pop. The problem is i cant find another engine anywhere, does anyone know if any other diesel engines are compatible with it (ford etc)

In short, no, there isn't.

TBH, I'm surprised there are any left running at this stage. Which means, even IF you were to find an engine, it'd be nothing short of roulette. Unless, of course it's for sale for dirt money.

Btdt, have the tee-shirt: and the receipt for scrapping the car..........

Cheaper to just get another car, tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Danmazdasports

I bought a mazda 6 sports 2008 model, I cant get the phone kit working my mechanic said im to look for a software update disk can anyone give me any ideas on this as I have been off the road for the past 6 years and bought this as a present because I have defeated epilepsy anyone who can help I would be grateful as I cant use my built in hands free kit
    thanks for your help

KR

Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

I bought a mazda 6 sports 2008 model, I cant get the phone kit working my mechanic said im to look for a software update disk can anyone give me any ideas on this as I have been off the road for the past 6 years and bought this as a present because I have defeated epilepsy anyone who can help I would be grateful as I cant use my built in hands free kit
    thanks for your help

KR

Dan

Does the car have Bluetooth? Or is it a 'parrot type phone kit you are trying to connect to?
    If the car requires a software update you should book it into a Mazda dealer to get the update carried out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement