Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

96 rav4 petrol

• 11-09-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭

a question for you experts on here, this car can never pass the nct due to the emissions, is there a desiel engine that can be fitted to this car, or perhaps a lower cc petrol one, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Why will it never pass an NCT? Get it fixed and it will pass.
    There was no diesel engine available in that model, so although it could be done, it would never make economical sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Have you the 2 litre version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Cat converter causes some of these to fail. Take it to the right guy to service it and it should pass , may need replacement of cat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

the engine is bad as well, very heavy on petrol, it also uses oil, nice body, beautiful to drive, 4 almost new tyres, i would hate to crush it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

If this has nct then consider it

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3863414

Or this
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3743858

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tony D

If it is never going to pass or will cost a fortune to do so, it is time for it to go to the scrapper. There are loads of decent cheap cars out there for very small money thesesp days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

flutered wrote: »
    the engine is bad as well, very heavy on petrol, it also uses oil, nice body, beautiful to drive, 4 almost new tyres, i would hate to crush it.
    Get someone else to crush it for you. Scrappies tend to do it best. Get somthing else. Or export it. Exporters love em, even when they're smokin.

It would be worth a sack of money elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

i am not worried about its worth, i am of the old school who had it driven into them never get rid of something thats 90% right, it has two major things going for it, i can get in and out of it real easy, it has an auto box, finally it is smooth on the road, as i am pretty disabled, and in constant pain, these three last things are most important, btw it is not on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tony D

What about a late 1990s Honda Crv auto, good replacement and similar car

Have you looked at the cost of fixing it so that it is right to pass the nct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

What about getting a secondhand engine? Although I suppose it could be difficult to get a good one at this stage.

flutered wrote: »
    i am not worried about its worth, i am of the old school who had it driven into them never get rid of something thats 90% right, it has two major things going for it, i can get in and out of it real easy, it has an auto box, finally it is smooth on the road, as i am pretty disabled, and in constant pain, these three last things are most important, btw it is not on the road.
    Then talk to IVI and get an engine fitted. Best option.:)

johnayo wrote: »
    What about getting a secondhand engine? Although I suppose it could be difficult to get a good one at this stage.
    Ahem!

Ahem!
    Ahem. IVI are reconditioned. Are they not? They take yours as a tradee-innner and do that up for the next oily bloater. SIL got one recently for a Celica and was very much chuffed with the outcome, seeing as his original engine was totally chuffed.

I meant that I might know where there is an engine.

I meant that I might know where there is an engine.
    Oh, missed that bit totally. Sorry about that. Where might there be an engine? Not too sure why I care personally, but now you have me intrigued.:D Since when does "ahem" mean "I have got an engine in my shed!" Feckin text speak is getting more complex by the week.

Advertisement