Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Cashel

Options
  • 23-07-2015 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, we're heading from Dublin to the Galtees for a spot of hillwalking on Saturday, and will want to get a bite to eat after the walk before we head off on our return journey, so were wondering if there's anything to recommend in Cashel? Probably a decent pub that does food rather than a restaurant as such, but all recommendations welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bailey's Hotel is great.

The restaurant and bar are both great and is pretty much where I'd always go if eating in Cashel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks for that. Looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

I'd have to say baileys as well.
    I've eaten in Chez Hans as well. Its nice but very pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Cafe Hans for lunch, closed Mondays, so busy they do not take reservations, only open until about 5. Also good wine served.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

if you're in the aherlow area i'd recommend you try ballinacourty house. Its on the bansha rd from lisvernane first left and signposted well. They've 2 menus 22.50 or 32.50 for starter/main course/dessert/tea or coffee. house wine is about 12 a bottle. It's busy so You'd wanna be booking it soon for sat. I eat there with the OH about once every 6 weeks!!

I'd echo whats been said already about the Bailey in Cashel. Can be busy in the pub section, and if you're unlucky you might have to eat at a raised table on a stool which for me isn't on. I think the atmosphere isn't great in the restaurant in the back. They can be bloody slow too. But the food's great.

Obviously chez hans is THE spot but is seriously pricey. I've eaten there about 5 times and while it is nice, lovely setting etc...I dont think it's worth it..
    Then again it's always busy so that speaks for itself!!

• Advertisement

digzy wrote: »
    if you're in the aherlow area i'd recommend you try ballinacourty house. Its on the bansha rd from lisvernane first left and signposted well. They've 2 menus 22.50 or 32.50 for starter/main course/dessert/tea or coffee. house wine is about 12 a bottle. It's busy so You'd wanna be booking it soon for sat. I eat there with the OH about once every 6 weeks!!
    Yes, I saw the signs for that, and also the Aherlow House Hotel, when we were there the other day sussing out our route. We're starting at the Clydagh Br. car park so it's nice and close by, but I can't predict accurately enough what time we'll be back at the cars, so it'd be difficult to make a booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, I saw the signs for that, and also the Aherlow House Hotel, when we were there the other day sussing out our route. We're starting at the Clydagh Br. car park so it's nice and close by, but I can't predict accurately enough what time we'll be back at the cars, so it'd be difficult to make a booking.

yeah, you'd wanna be able to book ballinacourty. I'd be surprised if you could 'walk in' on Sat. They've a second room downstairs though. However, the atmosphere is poor enough there. food's great though. Brazils in Tipp town is very good but you'd be there 2 hours if you'd all the courses. O'Neills in thomastown has a great name-personally I don't go there as the menu doesn't appeal to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

You could try feehans on the main street too. Really nice pub food in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

The Brian Boru across the road from Baileys is flourishing under new management. There's good food to be had there at reasonable prices. Baileys is very nice too but would be more expensive. Feehans is also well worth a look.

The Brian Boru across the road from Baileys is flourishing under new management. There's good food to be had there at reasonable prices. Baileys is very nice too but would be more expensive. Feehans is also well worth a look.
    Thanks, I noticed that on Streetview when I was looking around. We're basically just looking for a drink and something to eat before heading off back to Dublin, so we're not looking at spending too much money or time to be honest.

• Advertisement

The place just up your street is Hannigans Ladywell Street. just down from the petrol station on the old Dublin Road, totally informal,quality food at good value.

Give them a call 062 61737. Would like if some people in the know would endorse this.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Xenophile wrote: »
    The place just up your street is Hannigans Ladywell Street. just down from the petrol station on the old Dublin Road, totally informal,quality food at good value.

Give them a call 062 61737. Would like if some people in the know would endorse this.

It hasn't been Hannigans in years and years. It's gone through a lot of owners since. I think Fahy is the current name over the door. Not sure what the standard is like there as I'd usually eat down the main street. Hannigans was lovely little cosy spot back in the day though I must say.

It hasn't been Hannigans in years and years. It's gone through a lot of owners since. I think Fahy is the current name over the door. Not sure what the standard is like there as I'd usually eat down the main street. Hannigans was lovely little cosy spot back in the day though I must say.
    That would explain why I can't find it on Google Streetview at all :)

I think we've got plenty to go on now, thanks everybody.

All that matters now is for the weather to stay fine up in the Galtees all day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Yes its Fahys now and I'd highly recommend it.

Yes it's Fahy's and as far as I know the owner is the chef . I have eaten there lately and found it excellent.

Had a great day in the Galtees ... No rain!

Went to Bailey's as it was the first place we got to coming into town. Food was great and good value. Very pleased, will go again if we're in the area.

Went to Bailey's as it was the first place we got to coming into town. Food was great and good value. Very pleased, will go again if we're in the area.

Thanks for feed back, glad you had a nice day in Tipp.

Good stuff. Bailey's is v. nice

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Xenophile wrote: »
    Yes it's Fahy's and as far as I know the owner is the chef . I have eaten there lately and found it excellent.

I had heard very good reports about Faheys, and the place was very busy the afternoon I called in.
    Disapointed with the food, and the service was not at all good.
    As i said, it was busy, but it is the busy tourist season.
    Will give it another try another day, as It is unfair to base an opinion about food and service based on one visit.

Feehans is excellent for food, and as mentioned already it does get very busy.
    Same for Cafe Hanz, also excellent and also busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭giveitholly

so i will be passing through cashel next friday and will be stopping for something to eat,Just wondering if there is anywhere else people would recommend to eat in,isn't baileys closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

so i will be passing through cashel next friday and will be stopping for something to eat,Just wondering if there is anywhere else people would recommend to eat in,isn't baileys closed?

Feehan's does nice food. On the main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

No Baileys isn't closed. There is Brian Boru's, Baileys, Mikey Ryans, Feehan's, Cafe Hans, Lady'well, O'Neills, & Fahey's to choose from. There is also a thai a indian and a chinese to choose from.

Bailey's isn't closed. It's my fave place in Cashel by a mile!

callaway92 wrote: »
    Bailey's isn't closed. It's my fave place in Cashel by a mile!

thanks might give it a try,is that down near pat fox's pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

Ya just next door to Pat Foxes.

Eireog1 wrote: »
    Ya just next door to Pat Foxes.

Thanks

So went to baileys and delighted I did,lovely food and would definitely recommend it

Advertisement