Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar choice?

Options
  • 10-03-2015 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Wondering which guitar to get, I usually I play alternative rock, indie, 60s,70s,80s rock, some heavy rock, and a bit of mac demarco. I'm currently stuck between a strat with HSS pickups, a tele with open coil humbuckers, or a epiphone les paul with open could humbuckers. Which one should I get?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

What's your budget? What other guitar(s) do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭MW2FAN

My budget is about €150 I know not much, but I'm going away soon and want a guitar to jam on. I have a Fender Mexican strat and I love it. I'm thinking about getting a squire cream hss strat or a harly benton fat strat (rock series or something) I want Somethig to impress a bit you know.

I plan on leaving my Mexican strat at home btw

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Why would you not bring the strat with you? It'll be cheaper than €150 to transport and is most likely a much better option than anything selling for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Get this,
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_l450plus_honey_burst.htm

Played one recently and was so impressed that I'm going to buy one for myself
    dont let the name put you off

• Advertisement

I'm selling the strat in order to raise money for the trip. And I had a look at the les paul, seems great. I've spent have my life with a strat is my hands and feels so comfortable. I played a friends Gibson les paul, great guitar. I'm leaning towards a hss squire strat

If its a strat your after try the Squier Classic vibes
    I can honestly say with my hand on my heart that my classic vibe is every bit as good as my USA, I actually prefer the neck on the CV
    Its the only guitar that Ive never had the urge to mod

You can pick one up for €200 used on adverts and add a Duncan Hotrails if you want a hss

I want to cover a broad spectrum of sounds. The who, nirvana, the smiths, weezer, Rolling Stones, gorillaz, qotsa, RHCP, joy divison, the police and many others. That's why I think the hss would be good. Get the twang from the single coils and the heaviness from the humbucker. But then again, if want something that impresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Get this,
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_l450plus_honey_burst.htm

Played one recently and was so impressed that I'm going to buy one for myself
    dont let the name put you off

Wow, those are pretty impressive specs for the price.

biketard wrote: »
    Wow, those are pretty impressive specs for the price.

Impressive alright I also found a french forum thats showing pics of long neck tenons as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Keep the mexican for a while, save another 150 euro, sell the mexican, and buy a second hand japanese Fender from Ishibashi...

I love les Paul's but, everytime I look at one. There's just something I don't like

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

A HSS strat is the most versatile guitar IMHO.

Advertisement