Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Guitar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

t

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DamianK

My son started year ago on a classical guitar bought in Thomann as a set with cover bag, extra stings, tuner for around 50 euro. The one in Argos looks ok for me but 3/4 might be to big. My lad is not the tallest.
    It was the half size. It must be a instrument not a toy looking thing. IMHO no point buying something expensive. He lost his attention after few months, will probably start again like the other things. Electric or acoustic is another question. It is not true beginners should start with classical. It is important that kids can play what they like to sing/ listen. This motivates them to do next steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

Thanks.

The electric is a good point. I saw these in smyths

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/search/?q=octonauts#3&profile=IE

they sounded good - but again not sure if they are just toys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Personally I wouldn't recommend buying a guitar from either place. In my opinion they are toys and can put a child off as they often sound horrible and are difficult to tune and play.

Have a look at adverts.ie there is any amount of suitable guitars for young learners and bargains to be had for better quality guitars. Have a browse and if you want general advice feel free to ask any questions.

Ps: You can't go to far wrong with a package from Thomann.

I understand DamianK point on electrics/motivation, but generally it would be considered appropriate to start on an acoustic and nylon strings.

Make sure you get a good teacher to set them on their way. Once the basics are learnt they can decide what style they wish to pursue.

• Advertisement

From my own experience (started on acoustic/classic) when I was 16. Some techniques are hard to achieve on either elec/acoustic. if you just want to check whether he/she will like to play guitar I would either start on classical or electrical, never acoustic. If child likes to listen rock kind of music definitely go with elec. it is hard to switch from elec>acoustic and vice versa.
    The cheaper the guitar the more problems with tuning. If you now your child is very motivated/self motivated and you have a decent feel that he/she will not lose interest so quick I would invest in something more expensive. If child has very good music sens/feel after short time will be tired with hearing notes off-tune and will not enjoy playing on a cheap one. For small hands it is much simpler and not as hard to play on electric.
    But if your kid might want to play elsewhere outdoors having electric guitar might be a big issue.

the electric guitars in Smyth are crap I had a chance to see and test them in the shop. just toys

Just 2 examples but it doesn't have to be Thomann. check in nearest music shop.
    thomann.de/ie/startone_cg851_1_2_classical_guitar_set.htm
    thomann.de/ie/thomann_junior_gitarrenset.htm

delivery to Ireland about 15euros

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

As mentioned already, i'd stay clear of any instruments from toy shops and the like. Anywhere from 50-100eur could get you a half decent nylon or acoustic..an electric will obviously require an amp as well.

Personally i started on acoustic, then learned to play on an electric before getting my hands on a nylon string. They all have different approaches and techniques. Mainly the acoustic requires building up of hand/finger strength due to the high tension and steel strings. There is less friction on nylon strings as well which doesn't tear or hurt the top of your fingers as much. The strings also have more space between them which makes it easier to finger pick (without a plectrum). She might prefer the sound of an acoustic to a spanish guitar however!

If you have any friends or know any musicians bring them along to a music shop with you and your daughter, or just have a chat with the staff in there, they'd be more than happy to help you out.. and any decent shop should throw in a few extras for free. I think an instrument is a personal choice, and she may actually use it much more if she has the chance to pick it out herself and get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Definitely think about electric if that is the type of music that your kid likes, my son started at 8 on an electric and he happily noodles away playing along with whatever he is listening to, you want him to engage with music rather than just an instrument, so playing along with what he likes is a good way of keeping the enthusiasm going after the initial interest.
    I picked up a second hand pocket pod on adverts that he can plug into and play along with music in his room on headphones - don't underestimate headphones :-)

Any of the decent music shops will sort you out with a beginners setup and you can try them out first and see what grabs his imagination.

The big thing is engaging with what he wants to play, which may not be your type of music!

A lot of the beginner acoustic music that is pretty dismal from most kids perspective, Scarborough fair or Greensleeves has nothing on American Idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

i know from experience that a lot of children like the idea of playing the guitar without the hard work. it will take months of dedicated hard work to get to a decent level. learning the guitar doesn't just require a guitar, at such a young age she'll need lessons.

i'm not trying to put the idea off, I just see a lot of kids with cheap guitars discarded under beds or in attics. if you do get her a guitar make sure you don't get anything with plastic strings they are a nightmare, get a full sized guitar, it will work out better in the long run. generally, i'd lean more towards acoustic for beginners, it's slightly harder to play holding down strings but it will make her an overall better player. make sure you get her a set of everything needed: picks, strings, tuner, capo and teach her how to use them. a child will easily give up on an instrument with a minor hiccup they don't know how to solve such as it being out of tune or a broken string.

remember, you want to promote the idea of learning the guitar so you should do everything you can to promote it.

• Advertisement

@Dizzy Menance: All very good sensible advice, I would however opt for the 3/4 size depending on age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

3/4 size is what my kid plays, still grand at 10, he can handle my travel acoustic as well but not quite as comfortably, the depth of the guitar body is with checking out as that makes a difference on how comfortable they can get holding the guitar.

Shorter than 3/4 and you are into funky tuning that just gets to be more bother than it is worth, the trick is make it easy.

3/4 size makes a great travel / noodling about size guitar for you if it turns out to be not used a lot by junior!
    Making sure that a kids fingers can comfortably reach all frets is also worth checking.

3/4 is a fine size for an 8 year old but she won't be 8 forever and I suppose it is a matter of preference

one piece of advice though DO NOT BUY A PINK GUITAR.
    a lot of parents get there children pink guitars and they end up growing out of them or not using them and having something in pink almost guarantee to slash resale value in half. i like handing down my older unused guitars to people that want to play (often male) and i don't think they would appreciate a bright pink guitar. a timeless sunburst design will never go out of style.

the more hardship you offer her at the start: not right size, type not matching the style of music, where she might play on it, too hard to press the strings and so on the quicker she give up, only a disciplined student attending regular guitar lessons can force these difficulties because she will feel the pressure from the teacher and little competition in the group, otherwise waste of time. Looking on my son's class in the school there are kids head taller so saying 3/4 for 8 year old is not always right. He can take my full size acoustic and have fun for a while but when learning it is just too long and too deep.

DamianK wrote: »
    the more hardship you offer her at the start: not right size, type not matching the style of music, where she might play on it, too hard to press the strings and so on the quicker she give up, only a disciplined student attending regular guitar lessons can force these difficulties because she will feel the pressure from the teacher and little competition in the group, otherwise waste of time. Looking on my son's class in the school there are kids head taller so saying 3/4 for 8 year old is not always right. He can take my full size acoustic and have fun for a while but when learning it is just too long and too deep.

i see what you're saying and i agree. I'd like to think that everyone that picks up a guitar will be dedicated to death but a lot of children have a fear of trying and a fear of failure so easing the, in would probably be the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Tidyweb wrote: »
    I have a 8 year old and she wants to learn the guitar.

Is there any point buying a cheap guitar in Argos or what is the minimum you should spend on a starter guitar.

I haven't a clue.

eg link below
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5406575/Trail/searchtext%3EGUITAR.htm

To agree with everyone else: don't buy guitars from Argos/Smyths/Lidl, etc. The action (how high the strings are off the neck of the guitar) most likely won't be right and that will make it hard and/or painful to play. As a beginner, you don't want something that's hard to play and you could end up thinking you're just bad it - a lot of people give up for that reason.

Guitar shops can adjust the guitar when you buy it so that it's playable. The people who work in Argos/Smyths/Lidl probably can't or aren't allowed to do that for you.

If possible, get your child to sit down and hold the guitar before buying it so you can check if it's the right size. Make sure her fingers can reach the top string comfortably when she puts her hand around the neck.

And I agree, if you do get an electric, don't forget the headphones! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry if this is wrong thread to ask, but anyone know where I can get a case for a child's guitar

Advertisement