Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

judicial separation question

• 12-05-2014 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

with regard to the requirement in section 2(1) that the parties are living apart continuously for at least 1 year, it is expressly provided in section 2(2) that a period during which they are living apart is not interrupted by a resumption of married life in the same household for one or more totalling less than six months. However, such period or periods do not count as part of the period of living apart.

I cant get my head around the above paragraph, for example if a man moved out of his house in january 2014 , and moved back in from march to june 2014, moved out again in july 2014. when can he seek a judicial separation? jan 2015?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

guest2014 wrote: »
    with regard to the requirement in section 2(1) that the parties are living apart continuously for at least 1 year, it is expressly provided in section 2(2) that a period during which they are living apart is not interrupted by a resumption of married life in the same household for one or more totalling less than six months. However, such period or periods do not count as part of the period of living apart.

I cant get my head around the above paragraph, for example if a man moved out of his house in january 2014 , and moved back in from march to june 2014, moved out again in july 2014. when can he seek a judicial separation? jan 2015?

As a Protestant I don't follow these type of laws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1989/en/act/pub/0006/sec0002.html#sec2
    no account shall be taken of any one period (not exceeding 6 months) or of any two or more periods (not exceeding 6 months in all) during which the spouses resumed living with each other, but no such period or periods during which the spouses lived with each other shall count as part of the period of desertion or the period for which the spouses have lived apart, as the case may be:

If they live apart, then resume living together for up to six months, and then live apart again, they can add their periods of living apart to calculate the year.

Such periods will not be counted as desertion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

sorry so when can one of the spouses get a judicial separation? jan 2015 or july 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

sorry so when can one of the spouses get a judicial separation? jan 2015 or july 2015.

That will depend upon which ground the judicial separation is being sought. You will see the six grounds set out in s.2 of the Act, lettered a,b,c,d,e,f.

A ground that is often pleaded is that the respondent has behaved in such a way that the applicant cannot be reasonably expected to live with the respondent. This ground does not require any period of desertion or living apart.

To attempt to answer the question that I think that you may be trying to ask, let's assume that ground (d) is the ground for judicial separation:
    (d) subject to subsection (2) of this section, that the spouses have lived apart from one another for a continuous period of at least one year immediately preceding the date of the application and the respondent consents to a decree being granted;

Under that ground the spouses must have been living apart for a year, but under section 2(2) a period of up to six months where they were living with each other does not disrupt the continuity of the periods of living apart.

Looking at your question again:
    if a man moved out of his house in january 2014 , and moved back in from march to june 2014, moved out again in july 2014. when can he seek a judicial separation? jan 2015?

Let's say 1st January 2014 to 1st March 2014 gives two months living apart. Let's say 1st March 2014 to 1st July 2014 gives four months together which does not upset the continuity of living apart, but at the same time does not count as time spent living apart. Then there would have to be another ten months living apart, to add to the previous two, to give the requisite twelve months. So, under s.2(1)(d), (if applicable) it should be 1st May 2015.

Also, there is caselaw where a couple who were living as separate households under the same roof have been deemed to be living apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

That will depend upon which ground the judicial separation is being sought. You will see the six grounds set out in s.2 of the Act, lettered a,b,c,d,e,f.

A ground that is often pleaded is that the respondent has behaved in such a way that the applicant cannot be reasonably expected to live with the respondent. This ground does not require any period of desertion or living apart.

To attempt to answer the question that I think that you may be trying to ask, let's assume that ground (d) is the ground for judicial separation:

Under that ground the spouses must have been living apart for a year, but under section 2(2) a period of up to six months where they were living with each other does not disrupt the continuity of the periods of living apart.

Looking at your question again:

Let's say 1st January 2014 to 1st March 2014 gives two months living apart. Let's say 1st March 2014 to 1st July 2014 gives four months together which does not upset the continuity of living apart, but at the same time does not count as time spent living apart. Then there would have to be another ten months living apart, to add to the previous two, to give the requisite twelve months. So, under s.2(1)(d), (if applicable) it should be 1st May 2015.

Also, there is caselaw where a couple who were living as separate households under the same roof have been deemed to be living apart.

ok i get it now, thanks very much for the reply. the wording of the act confused me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement