Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'The Da Vinci Code' Teaser..

Options
  • 18-05-2005 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭

Very early teaser.. film isn't released til May 2006 (!!) :eek:

Ain't watched the teaser.. ain't read the book.. and to be honest, ain't too interested in it all!

Ah well.. thought someone might wanna watch this!

Clickety-click!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

basquille wrote:
    Very early teaser.. film isn't released til May 2006 (!!) :eek:

Ain't watched the teaser.. ain't read the book.. and to be honest, ain't too interested in it all!

Ah well.. thought someone might wanna watch this!

Clickety-click!

You should read the book...I know it seems to be the 'in' thing to hate these days but I really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You shouldn't read the book :) It's poorly written and unbelievably over-hyped. The facts within have been covered better elsewhere (hell, check out the Millennium epsiode 'Anamnesis' where we see some of the stuff). If you want a writer who can actually blend historical research, mythology, and genuinely good writing, then check out Neal Stephenson...

Also the teaser shows very little. Admittedly it's too early to have footage but even so - it's stuffed full of the usual hyperbole - "No matter what you have read, No matter what you believe". Pfft.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If you want a writer who can actually blend historical research, mythology, and genuinely good writing, then check out Neal Stephenson...

Yeah he's great. I loved "Snow Crash" and "Cryptonomicon".

"Cryptonomicon", now that would make an epic film. Some of imagery in the book was stunning as well, I'd love to see it make the big screen.

Have they even cast someone yet for the "DaVinci Code"?

Edit: Oops, it says "Tom Hanks" at the end of the trailer.

And Ian McKellen(oh I used to respect you) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ixoy wrote:
    You shouldn't read the book :) It's poorly written and unbelievably over-hyped. The facts within have been covered better elsewhere (hell, check out the Millennium epsiode 'Anamnesis' where we see some of the stuff). If you want a writer who can actually blend historical research, mythology, and genuinely good writing, then check out Neal Stephenson...

Also the teaser shows very little. Admittedly it's too early to have footage but even so - it's stuffed full of the usual hyperbole - "No matter what you have read, No matter what you believe". Pfft.

Its a trash novel but I found it to be really engrossing and addictive. No, its not paticularly well written but it is a good pacey thrashy thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Trailer looks a bit poo. Wouldn't mind seeing some actual footage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

My memory of the book is a bit wobbly... where would Molina come in as,
    Silas?
    ... Ian McKellan's role is obvious to any reader of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

yeah Id love to see some actual footage too, like to see if hanks looks the part or not, though I dont think he will be a great Robert Langdon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Even the teaser poster doesn't inspire me with confidence. It's like something a first-year design student with a fondness for Photoshop's "Page Curl" plugin would come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Half-Bicycle

Think I would have opted for Liam Neeson in the main role, esp after Kinsey - he really looks the part...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Rhyme wrote:
    My memory of the book is a bit wobbly... where would Molina come in as,
    Silas?
    ... Ian McKellan's role is obvious to any reader of the book.

Molina wouldn't make the best
    Silas
    imo, he's far too young. I've completely forgotten what character McKellen would be. Oh wait a sec, is it
    your man that wants the glass vial? What's his name again?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Think I would have opted for Liam Neeson in the main role, esp after Kinsey - he really looks the part...
    Neeson would be great... but Langdon is described as being a little rugged but not as rugged as Neeson, Hanks is shiny enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Tusky wrote:
    Its a trash novel but I found it to be really engrossing and addictive. No, its not paticularly well written but it is a good pacey thrashy thriller.

thats what i thought.

2 thumbs up for those two books by Stephenson, thought Cryptonomicon was fantastic.Tried to read Quicksilver but only got about 150 pages into it before i gave up. must give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Bootgal

Da vinci Code is a great book but take my word 'Angels and Demons' is far better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Half-Bicycle

I would not class the DVC as a "great book" but I will say it's a corking page turner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Grom

Angels and demons is the only book I'd class as being good from brown, digital fortress, deception point and especially da vinci code are all slow paced in comparison and the intellect that goes with them is vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,457 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A&D was another page turner, but still wasn't great. Bloody superman wouldn't have survived some of the stuff Langdon did near the end of that one.

I'm wary of DVC, but I'm interested to see how it will turn out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Rhyme wrote:
    My memory of the book is a bit wobbly

From IMDB...

Tom Hanks .... Robert Langdon
    Ian McKellen .... Sir Leigh Teabing
    Alfred Molina .... Bishop Aringarosa
    Jean Reno .... Bezu Fache
    Audrey Tautou .... Sophie Neveu

No mention of who's playing Silas.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Goodshape wrote:
    No mention of who's playing Silas.
    Christopher Eccleston is in talks to star as Silas.

http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/2005/04/the_da_vinci_code_starring_christopher_ecclestone.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

one thing that makes the Da Vinci code a great book is that it has gotten a lot of people interested in the subject matter. i.e. Holy Grail and the idea of Christianity in general.

If something like the Da Vinci Code doesnt come along every so often to encourage debate about subjects which are so important to our society then we would be in a bad place as a society. Ive read a lot of books which were far better written and challenged the mind a bit more than the cryptography in DVC but really, debate surrounding Charles Dickens, Joyce, Grisham etc. doesnt really provide a platform for us to make serious decisions about our personal believes and understandings.

Hell, its a badly written piece in places (lots of em) but in my mind is one of the most important books of the last 20 years.

p.s. I chose the above writers because they are some of my personal favourites in writing terms.

p.p.s. I think Hanks will be a super Langdon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It was a cheap thriller page turner book, I liked it, it was good fun but I'd never re-read it, prefered Angels and Demons myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Yea it was a fun page turning thriller... it's entertainment, not a remedy for cancer. People who attempt to dismiss and speak down the book and people who enjoyed it need to have that coniferous cone removed from their ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Even the teaser poster doesn't inspire me with confidence. It's like something a first-year design student with a fondness for Photoshop's "Page Curl" plugin would come up with.

Considering the title of the novel had nothing to do with the plot, it's amusing to see the poster take the same course. Presumably, the artist hasn't read the book. (Lucky him).

And the cheap tag lines just keep getting better ("greatest works of art hold the secret"...). :confused::confused:

Reading "Holy Blood, Holy Cross" that is a lot more interesting (ableit, still a little trashy). Amazing to see how much was ripped off by Mr. Brown.

Advertisement