Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

madser wrote: »
    I don't know about that, its still really bad :(
    It is for new applicants only, in line with the Jobseeker's Allowance rates.
    From the factsheet quoted above:
    For new claimants aged 18 to 24, the rates of payment for Disability Allowance will be aligned with Jobseeker's Allowance rates for that age group i.e. €100 per week for people aged 18 to21 and €144 per week for people aged 22 to 24. (April 2012)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 champie

I really don't get this budget I have a 12 yr child and I'm on a CE scheme and receiving reduced lone parents how is this going to affect me Sorry to sound selfish but I just don't get it :(

champie wrote: »
    I really don't get this budget I have a 12 yr child and I'm on a CE scheme and receiving reduced lone parents how is this going to affect me Sorry to sound selfish but I just don't get it :(

Payment of two qualified child increases where the person is on a Community Employment Scheme and One Parent Family Payment, Deserted Wife's Allowance/Benefit or Widow(er)'s Pension will be discontinued for new and existing recipients. (January 2012)
    So sounds like you will lose your child increase on one of those payments - it doesn't specify which.

The upper age limit of the youngest child for new claimants of the One-Parent Family Payment will be reduced to 7 years on a phased basis. It will be reduced to 12 years with effect from 2012. This is for new claimants however, they did not announce what will happen (if anything) to existing OPF claimants. The current phasing in of the age limit is as follows:

2011 and 2012 The age limit will remain 18
    2013 The age limit will be 17
    2014 The age limit will be 16
    2015 The age limit will be 15
    2016 The age limit will be 14

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

cee_jay wrote: »
    The current phasing in of the age limit is as follows:

It will be interesting how they are going to work this one for existing claims seeing as it now looks like this for new claims
    2012 The age limit will be 12
    2013 The age limit will be ??
    2014 The age limit will be 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fflynn12

Hi,sorry if this is a silly question but here goes im on a CE scheme since september this year and i also get a disability allowance so will there be any change for in january?(no children btw). Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭paddydu

if you are on a disability allowance and you start a ce scheme do you lose your disabiliyu allowance

paddydu wrote: »
    if you are on a disability allowance and you start a ce scheme do you lose your disabiliyu allowance

New participants on Community Employment schemes will not be able to claim another social welfare payment at the same time but they will receive the standard additional €20 per week paid to all other participants. (January 2012)

thankyou for your reply. I have been offered a ce scheme as a cleaner and i am on DA, so it wouldn't be worth me doing it then would it? oh what if i started the scheme before 1st of Jan would i possibly still be able to keep the DA at a reduced rate as it used to be before this budget

you see cee jay last year i did a ce scheme for 12 months up till feb this year and i got the 208e and my disability allowance was cut to 151e p/w and it was a good scheme doing art, acting,writing and courses. the one i have now been offered is cleaning so there is no learni ng and no job at the end of it. I only wanted it for the extra money to help me with my 2 kids maintenance and night school in feb 2012 (pre nursing studies). If I was only to get an extra 20e p/w for cleaning toilets I will have to say no

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Earlier this year I was put on a 3 day week (wed - Fri) and I am claiming JSB for the other two days as the social welfare classed me as a systamatic casual worker (working 5 days instead of 6) as I always worked Monday - Friday. I get a cheque from the S.W every week for 75euro and 210 from my employers. How will I work out with the new changes to part time work? Will I lose the 75 euro as I am working 3 days out of 5 instead of 2?

• Advertisement

Hello all, does anybody know what happens now if i were to start a CE scheme and how it would affect my disability payment. when i was on a scheme earlier this year i got paid the 208euros and i also got my disability allowance but it was reduced to 144euros, so all in all i came out with 352euros. I am asking because i phoned social welfare and they could not give me an answer as they said they haven't been briefed yet. you see i have been offered a place as a cleaner and i thought great it would help me support my kids and help me pay for a night course i want to do but if this is not the case with payments after the budget then it would not be worth me doing the scheme,especially as a cleaner.So could some one help clear this up for me before i make a mistake. Thanks Paddy

if you are already doing a ce scheme then there will be no changes to the amount of money you receive until your 12 month contract is up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

cee_jay wrote: »
    Payment of two qualified child increases where the person is on a Community Employment Scheme and One Parent Family Payment, Deserted Wife's Allowance/Benefit or Widow(er)'s Pension will be discontinued for new and existing recipients. (January 2012)
    So sounds like you will lose your child increase on one of those payments - it doesn't specify which.

The upper age limit of the youngest child for new claimants of the One-Parent Family Payment will be reduced to 7 years on a phased basis. It will be reduced to 12 years with effect from 2012. This is for new claimants however, they did not announce what will happen (if anything) to existing OPF claimants. The current phasing in of the age limit is as follows:

From the Irish Examiner: http://budget.irishexaminer.com/analysis/one-parent-and-large-families-the-biggest-losers-176237.html
    Major changes to the one-parent family payment are being introduced so that, in 2012, a new claimant’s youngest child must not be older than 12 years old. That limit is to be further reduced to 10 years old in 2013 and just 7 years old in 2014.

The age limit was already reduced from 18 to 14 for new claimants earlier this year. Existing claimants are subject to the 14-years-old age limit only on a phased basis between 2012 and 2016.
    This indicates that the current phasing in (that you have shown above) remains in place for existing customers.

no what i want to know is will i still get my disability allowance payment although at a reduced rate (144euros) if i were to start a CE scheme now. because normally when u r on disability allowance u can do a ce scheme and get the 208 ce scheme payment and keep your disability allowance at a reduced rate. i need to know if this still applies after the budget or do you lose out and only get the ce scheme payment of 208euros. I have been offered a place and need to know b4 i take it. please help im stuck!!!??

paddydu wrote: »
    no what i want to know is will i still get my disability allowance payment although at a reduced rate (144euros) if i were to start a CE scheme now. because normally when u r on disability allowance u can do a ce scheme and get the 208 ce scheme payment and keep your disability allowance at a reduced rate. i need to know if this still applies after the budget or do you lose out and only get the ce scheme payment of 208euros. I have been offered a place and need to know b4 i take it. please help im stuck!!!??

New participants on Community Employment schemes will not be able to claim another social welfare payment at the same time but they will receive the standard additional €20 per week paid to all other participants. (January 2012) http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/Budget/Bud12/Documents/budfact12.pdf
    On page 2.

My interpretation is that if you accept and are approved for the CE scheme before January 1st 2012, the old system applies ("New Participants" refer to those apply for/accept CE schemes after 1st January 2012). You would be better off double-checking that with welfare or citizens information though.

thanks Atlantis50. I have phoned social welfare disability section and they dont seem to know anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kerryspirit

Hi thats all confusing ;-)
    I am on a ce scheme another year and have still the "double payment".
    CE wage plus reduced Lone parent - is that scrapped now or is that still applying till my contract is finished as I am on it for 2 yrs already?
    And my child is 6...
    thanks guys

Hi thats all confusing ;-)
    I am on a ce scheme another year and have still the "double payment".
    CE wage plus reduced Lone parent - is that scrapped now or is that still applying till my contract is finished as I am on it for 2 yrs already?
    And my child is 6...
    thanks guys
    The new rules only apply to "New Participants" - see the post at the top. You should continue to get what you are currently getting until your contract finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

champie wrote: »

You'll lose 29.80 off CE payment, you'll get about 7 euro added on to your lone parent book (because you're now earning less from your CE). You'll be 22.30 a week worse off from January.

You'll likely keep your entitlement to OPFP, as the reduced age will be phased in, although the details of that have not yet been confirmed. I doubt you will lose your OPFP entitlement until at the earliest 2013 although this has not been confirmed, so you will have to wait and see.

In the meantime you'll keep your double payment (CE and OPFP) in your current position. CE positions are reviewed each year when it is decided whether you can have another year. The indication from the Department is that if you get an extension in 2012, then you can continue to get a double payment for the period of that further year, but after that, you will have to chose between staying on OPFP or CE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

will lone parents still receive the double payment for doing fas courses or is it going to stop like the CE schemes??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 solareclipse

Could someone help me with this....I'm a 29 year old widow with 2 kids (one with autism).
    With the increase in needed credits for contributory pension, is that only for new applicants in 2013...or could I possibly lose my pension if I don't have enough credit for the new requirements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

So me being 28 and on disability allowance means I won't be getting a reduction every week? That's weird. If everyone else is getting a reduced amount then why shouldn't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

seanybiker wrote: »
    So me being 28 and on disability allowance means I won't be getting a reduction every week? That's weird. If everyone else is getting a reduced amount then why shouldn't I?

Coz politicians are never fair...

Everyone else isn't going to be getting a reduced allowance.
    Those already in receipt of the payment wont be afftected. Its just for NEW claimants.
    Its a reduction inline with the rates of payment for those on Jobseeker's Allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im on a CE scheme and also on Illness benefit, my contract/roll-over date for my 3rd year is Feb, so does that mean I keep my double payment til my roll-over date and then if my contract is rolled over I will be starting as NEW so will then lose double payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 auddem

Im on a CE scheme and claim illness benefit.
    I my contract/roll over for a 3rd year is in Feb.
    Im assuming I keep both payments till my roll over date and then if I do roll over
    I'll have to sign a new contract so will I be classed as NEW and one of my payments stopped?

you will be ok until Feb 3rd then when you start your new contract your you will lose illness benefit altogether and be classed a CE scheme participant and receive 208e p/w. I am on disability allowance and have decided not to start a CE scheme again because of this. In other words you will be working for nothing virtually. If you like the scheme and you are learning something that you would like to do after as a career then it would be worth it.
    Good luck

I was thinking thats what would happen all right paddydu.
    I think Id give up the CE. :(

Theres a big community march on the Dail tomorrow arriving at 2pm.

There is no way they will reverse their decision on cuts to community employment. this is not a labour policy it is totally fine gael. they were talking about this over a year ago before they got into power. You have to remember that they are really a right wing party and none of their TDs would have experienced poverty,lack of education or opportunity. They would tend to look down on the working class or should I say working poor and poverty unemployed. I cant get a job! and now they have closed a door on one of the only ways i could get back into employment. I will have to turn to the black market and crime if I want to get out of the poverty trap. The CE is scheme was a great chance for me to earn 155e more than my welfare (disability allowance) this would have enabled me to pay my childrens maintenance and payed for my Nursing course next year. Now if I were to do a CE scheme I would actually be 23 to 40e worse off a week so I aint going to be doing that. How detached these people are that are in power is frightening, they simply dont care and very dishonest, just look at the lies they told to get in power ( check out their manifesto) I'll never ever vote Fine Gael again!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

paddydu
    Have you signed a CE contract already ???

I was talking to someone earlier who said that anyone with an existing contract
    will hold onto their extra payments for the full term they are on CE its just NEW participants
    who wont keep payment.

Advertisement