Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2012

Options
  • 05-12-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

I see the new factsheet is up on the Welfare Website with all Dept changes.

Some deep cuts but some are understandable, some are less palayable

* No more 1/2 rate Benefits with Pensions (Mainly Widows & Carers affected)

* Fuel Allowance reduced by 6 weeks

* Backdating allowed to 6 months only (was 12 months and proportional up to 5 years)

* JSA/JSB based on a 5 day week not 6 so that will affect Casual Workers

* No Social Welfare Payment if on a CE Scheme

* New rates bands for Pensions

* No grant payments for twins, triples etc

Howlin still got a big laugh when he said the reduced the payments to special advisers. They could do more,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

There's no point even working part time.

It seems your always punished for working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

* Backdating allowed to 6 months only (was 12 months and proportional up to 5 years)

were did you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

No change in Motor tax rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

KittyKat wrote: »

That's in tomorrow's budget with the rest of the increases in vat etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

KittyKat wrote: »
    Thats tomorrow and really not a state benefits topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

danois wrote: »
    were did you see this?

From the link the OP gave http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/Budget/Bud12/Documents/budfact12.pdf

Currently, late claims for certain
    contributory pensions can be
    backdated on a reducing scale
    for up to 5 years. This
    backdating period will be
    reduced to a maximum of 6
    months. This applies to State
    Pension (Contributory &
    Transition), Surviving Civil
    Partner’s Contributory Pension
    and Widow(er)’s Contributory
    Pension. (April 2012)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

There is also the part about the increased contribution to be made towards rent and the review of rent supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Lone parents really hit hard.

- Cut in the disregard from 146.50 to 130
    - For those also on CE payment, will lose 29.80 per child (will be marginally offset by their OPFP, although still down more than 20 Euro per child
    - Can no longer avail of CE and retain their lone parent book
    - Can no longer qualify for half rate Jobseekers Benefit
    - Phased reduction in payment so can only qualify until youngest child turns 7 (down from what was 18 only last year)
    - If have more than 2 children, also hit by child benefit cuts

tatabubbly wrote: »
    There's no point even working part time.

It seems your always punished for working.

That's not exactly true, it will still pay to work in the VAST majority of cases, but they have removed some of the supports which make it easier/more attractive to take up part-time employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

just read the fact sheet, it says the jobseekers benefit will be based on a five day week from july, but does that cover jobseekers allowance also, it does not seem clear.
    i saw the part about the alowance now including sundays in 2013, which is a pain as i work only on a sunday ?
    if someone could clear up the first part i would appreciate it

• Advertisement

just read the fact sheet, it says the jobseekers benefit will be based on a five day week from july, but does that cover jobseekers allowance also, it does not seem clear.
    i saw the part about the alowance now including sundays in 2013, which is a pain as i work only on a sunday ?
    if someone could clear up the first part i would appreciate it

Its not relevant to Jobseekers Allowance. The Allowance is means tested so you get reduced according to how much you earn, not how many days you work.

but i hand in yellow dockets each week stating what day i work each week, even though its the same day, they said its in case i do extra days, it was the same when i was on the benefit and then they moved me to the allowance, i lose twenty something per day i work ?
    even more confused now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tenants now must contribute minimum of €30 (couples €35) towards rent supplement. This is up from the current €24.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

can someone help me out ? they said that are no cuts in the basic social welfare rates but job seekers allowance is being cut from 6 to 5 days. Its €188 at the moment, would this now go to €156 ? Thats pretty harsh without anyone outlining it.

its jobseekers benefit only dropping from six to five
    allowance stays the same, i already asked this question
    and Lugh Ildanach kindly cleared it up for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jennairl

So basically Ive been put on 3 days a week since last month so now I can only claim 2 days :-( ill be down about 30 a week!! Hardly seems fair punishing the part time workers!! I may aswell be unemployed after i pay petrol and lunch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 karlcurran

in the same boat hand in the yellow slips every week workin three days barely scraping by now were fooked....

I'm not working at all.. will i receive the same amount per week in the new year as I am now ? its a bit confusing

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I'm not working at all.. will i receive the same amount per week in the new year as I am now ? its a bit confusing

If you are on Jobseekers Allowance, your rate will be unchanged. If you are on Jobseekers Benefit it will also be unchanged - but you know that when it ends and you apply for Jobseekers Allowance you will then be means tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

re;household tax 100euro, says
    The following households will have the charge waived :
    1. Those in receipt of mortgage interest supplement (i.e on very low incomes). what about someone on a very low income who doesnt have a morgage. it doesnt specify above/below such an income.

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    re;household tax 100euro, says
    The following households will have the charge waived :
    1. Those in receipt of mortgage interest supplement (i.e on very low incomes). what about someone on a very low income who doesnt have a morgage. it doesnt specify above/below such an income.

It seems that there will not be an exemption based on income but those living in social housing and those living in unfinished 'ghost' estates will also be exempt. The charge can be paid in installments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

One Parent Family Payment
    􀂃 Entitlement will be restricted to cases where the youngest child is
    7 years of age over the period to 2014

Does anyone know if that is only for new applicants? or is it for everyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Can anyone tell me how I'll be affected, I'm a full time worker with a 6 month old baby. I don't receive any benefits but my partner is on jobseekers allowance. Will I personally (not my partner) be affected does anyone know? Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

The change to Jobseeker's Benefit payment entitlement being based on a 5 day week rather than a 6 day week is not coming into effect immediately - from the Budget factsheet it will be July 2012.

Balagan wrote: »
    If you are on Jobseekers Allowance, your rate will be unchanged. If you are on Jobseekers Benefit it will also be unchanged - but you know that when it ends and you apply for Jobseekers Allowance you will then be means tested.

That clears things up a bit. I'm on jobseekers allowance now for a few years, I'm 31 web developer but haven't worked since the downturn. Hopefully I will still receive €188/week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

The changes to Disability Allowance are a disgrace, someone who is curently receiving 188 euro is being cut to 100 euro nearly halved, why is there no discussion about this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

madser wrote: »
    The changes to Disability Allowance are a disgrace, someone who is curently receiving 188 euro is being cut to 100 euro nearly halved, why is there no discussion about this

Pretty sure it's being cute for new applicants only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

Demonique wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's being cute for new applicants only

I don't know about that, its still really bad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

danois wrote: »
    One Parent Family Payment
    ô€‚႒ [SIZE="4"][SIZE="2"]Entitlement will be restricted to cases where the youngest child is
    7 years of age over the period to 2014[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Does anyone know if that is only for new applicants? or is it for everyone??

 The upper age limit of the youngest child for new claimants of the One-Parent Family Payment will be reduced to 7 years on a phased basis. It will be reduced to 12 years with effect from 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

So basically they havent cut the rates, but they've moved the goalposts to make sure no-one will be entitled :mad:

Advertisement