Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things I wish I had done when building?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Link the smoke detectors together for a future connect to the monitored fire alarm.

Take photos of the studs when the plumbing goes in so you can remember where not to drill!

Thank my plumber for persuading me to get a combi-boiler. The hot water feature is fantastic.

Every time you buy materials ask for a further 10% off.

Is that the back boiler your plumber persuaded you to get? Ours has talked us OUT of getting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

guideanna wrote: »
    Is that the back boiler your plumber persuaded you to get? Ours has talked us OUT of getting it!

If I remember correctly, a combi-boiler is a boiler that can also produce on-demand hot water instead of having a tank. The hot water just comes straight off the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 afrofish

I haven't actually started yet but some of the ones I have thought of are:
    • If building a garage consider adding an inspection pit when doing the foundations.
    • When planning bathrooms try to ensure that the shower and bath are further from the door than the sink and toilet. (You don't want to have to walk over wet floors to get to the toilet).
    • If you can put your hotpress next to the bathroom have a hatch to reach in and grab towels
    • Have an Audio Visual cupboard in a room adjoining the living room (the kitchen in our plans). By opening the cupboard door in the kitchen you have easy access to the back of the components. Ie the connectors for the telly, sat-nav, free-view, play station and god knows what else. It also allows them to be recessed into the wall to save clutter.

more to come when we start the build :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hey Afrofish

best of luck with the build....:D
    I am going thru the joy/torture etc at the moment and you have to stick with it...thru thick and thin!!

Great ideas there re the Audio visual cupboard...now why didn't I think of that...:(

Not exactly a thing I wish I had done, but more of a motto...."It's better to be looking at it than for it"......as in, if in doubt put it in early when u still have the chance....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

afrofish wrote: »
    I haven't actually started yet but some of the ones I have thought of are:
    • Have an Audio Visual cupboard in a room adjoining the living room (the kitchen in our plans). By opening the cupboard door in the kitchen you have easy access to the back of the components. Ie the connectors for the telly, sat-nav, free-view, play station and god knows what else. It also allows them to be recessed into the wall to save clutter.
    more to come when we start the build :)

Just make sure its well ventilated - I've had over-heating probs with the playstation, and its in open ventilated space.
    Might even be a good idea to put a fan in the door for air circulation.

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Just make sure its well ventilated - I've had over-heating probs with the playstation, and its in open ventilated space.
    Might even be a good idea to put a fan in the door for air circulation.

You could also put in an exhaust vent to the MHRV system and use the waste heat to warm the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

You could also put in an exhaust vent to the MHRV system and use the waste heat to warm the house.

What a brilliant idea..I would nearly knock my house down and start again...;)
    So based on this, can you calculate the "payback" period for a PS3 now???:D:D:D

What a brilliant idea..I would nearly knock my house down and start again...;)
    I feel like doing that sometimes as well! I've seen it written by a "serial self builder" that you get it right by the third house! :eek:

OK it isn't perfect, but there are only a few changes I'd do.

Integrated Garage, would have saved a lot on the building costs as well as shorter pipe runs to the boiler.

Bigger roof, to shade the windows in the summer.
    Pay attention to soundproofing between rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 afrofish

and that's why I love these forums...

The AV cubboard was a good idea (but flawed)

Plumbing it into my MHRV...now thats just genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morning delight

aero2k wrote: »
    I believe this problem can be avoided by having a loop of pipe from the cylinder to all the hot taps and a tiny pump to circulate it - you get hot water almost immediately that way.

Hi aero2k, do have some more info on this? Is it produced by a particular company or just something the plumber does?

It does annoy me to see so much water been wasted from the tap while waiting for hot water. And what's more, water is set to become an expensive commodity in the near future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi aero2k, do have some more info on this? Is it produced by a particular company or just something the plumber does?

It was just something I heard of in conversation with a plumber. It seems like a great idea, if the pipe is well lagged the water will stay as hot as the water in the tank. It would only need a small pump to circulate it and this wouldn't need to run continuously. I don't know how the running costs compare to the cost savings from not wasting water that has been heated up and then allowed to cool. I reckon the comfort factor of instant hot water is worth something too.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morning delight

Yeah sounds interesting. I'll have to enquire about it.

I came across a product in a US magazine that performs this function. Cut and Paste from their website: "The Metlund® Hot Water D'MAND® System consists of an electronically controlled pump and valve assembly that allows for the rapid delivery of hot water to plumbing fixtures without the loss of cold water down the drain".

Don't know much about plumbing but I think they have different size fittings etc over there so I don't know if it would work here. Surely if someone here developed it at a reasonable cost it would sell well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Hotels have this system in place - that's how you have hot water within seconds all the time. Costs though to have the pump running all the time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Hotels have this system in place - that's how you have hot water within seconds all the time. Costs though to have the pump running all the time....

Could you put this pump on a timer ... a couple of hrs in morning and evening ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

What I did:
    • I buried a 4" sewer pipe from house to garage at foundation pouring time for cables. Fed ropes through and tied them off.
    • Asked builder to leave 6" gap at ceiling height in internal blockwork of each room for HRV.
    • Got roof steel coated by supplier (had to do garage lintels myself and it took ages)
    • Got concrete slabs on first floor with insulation in the hollow core.
    • Asked digger driver to dig up hedge along road and re-plant along side boundary. 90% has survived and we now have instant indigenous hedging.

What I wish I'd done:
    • Got at least 20 of the rafters treated/tanalised for gables (maybe all the wood should have been treated. Roofer AND supplier said this wasn't necessary.)
    • We ended up with a basement storage area in garage due to slope of site. Wish I had asked builder to do cavity walls down there.
    • Moved house further away from road. Co.Council said it's back as far as it can go. Also, there's quite a fall on the site, but it would have been nice.
    • Made study AT LEAST 50% bigger.
    • Bought the bigger container of frostproofer!.
    • Covered my stone cills - even with a shovel of sand. Apparently not the builder's job to keep them clean. (I didn't know they were in and he was just being awkward)
    • Had the foresight to buy five more acros when I was getting them cheap. Had to rent the last five. D'oh.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

If your doing an audio visual cupboard be careful of the components overheating. ie. have some sort of ventalation for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 superelectric

Villain wrote: »
    I had an idea for a sticky thread that would allow people who have built houses or extensions in the past and then when it was finished or even many years after say "I wish I did X,Y and Z when I was building, if I was ever to build again I would ......"

I should have went with the first, more expensive quote. As I tried to explain to my missus, "Who knew the en-suite window would fall out after 2 years?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭tfer

we had the washing machine and drier upstairs in the the house we just sold, we are renting until we build again so the machines are downstairs and she definitely wants them back upstairs in new house, ironing board as well as plenty of shelves

A topical future proofing addition would be a connection to charge my electric car on the side of my garage??
    Anyone any idea what sort of connection this is?? Are they standard or different for different makes/models?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,319 ✭✭✭✭muffler

JuniorB wrote: »
    A topical future proofing addition would be a connection to charge my electric car on the side of my garage??
    Anyone any idea what sort of connection this is?? Are they standard or different for different makes/models?
    They should know in the Dept. Environment.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,860 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JuniorB wrote: »

as muffler says, perhaps contact the DOEHLG,

perhaps also contact the ESB

there are two type of connection and standard domestic connection and a 'fast charge' connection.

I would assume simply bring the power cable to the end point and capping it would be sufficient.

I think you would be better off just putting in a duct in case the fast charge system uses non-standard cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Three pin plug is for the "Slow" charge, there is another connection which is based on a 3 phase supply for a "fast" charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

99.9999999% of houses do not have 3-phase power

3-phase power is at 415v and has 3 Live power leads and 1 Neutral. This is reserved for industry.

All domestic settings have 230v single phase.

I would just run a 6mm2 cable from the fuse box to a sealed all weather box to potentially where the car charging port would be and fit the "to be determined" socket afterwards

2.5mm2 cable is for domestic sockets, max 3kW power
    6mm2 cable is for electric ovens, max 7kW power
    10mm2 is for thirsty power showers, max 14kW power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭newhouse

fantastic thread for anyone building a house - tanx:D

newhouse wrote: »
    fantastic thread for anyone building a house - tanx:D
    We aim to please :)

Oh, if you read the forum charter you will find that the word is "thanks" ;) We are very "proper" around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭newhouse

my A2 in hons English has not stood me in good stead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Great thread. Picking up some handy tips on the DO's and DONTS on building a new house.

Keep them coming!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

3 things i would do when building my next house.

1. Bigger ensuites

2. Bigger ensuites.

3 Bigger ensuites

Im 6'4, and im near as wide as i am tall. Who ever decided that 1200mm wide was big enough for an ensuite needs to re evaluate their degree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Dont pump cellulose in the attic.

It goes everywhere and if used is better suited to the first floor for insulation and excellent sound proofing..

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrshappy

Storage storage storage.

On 3 house now so putting in many of the 'I wish I did this in last house' things

Outside tap & also hot tap if budget permits
    Garage & trees planted as house is being built
    Garage to be wired & also plumbed for sink for the messy jobs:D
    Ulitity room with sink and clothes pulley that attaches to ceiling.
    Large windows in kitchen/dining to make most of light
    Outside sockets and alot of 'extras' inside
    Cupboard to fit tall objects - ironing boards, hoover etc
    Cloakroom
    Where hot press is put a walk in on oppostite side iykwim to even out wall rather than having a 'corner' taken out of bedroom
    French doors instead of patio doors - open up area better

Had a list of over 100 things must route it out but that is what I can think of for now.

For anyone doing up room from scratch it is so well worth doing a mood board. Don't have to be an interior designer but put pictures in of whatever furniture you have on the board and built around it - will save a fortune in wasted time and money - worked well for me last time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 grainnek

• a bigger utility room.....all are rooms are nice a big but the utility room , for the size of the house, is way too small...i can put up close horse but its difficult to get around.
    • Would have added plumbing for a dryer.....those ones you have to empty arent as good
    • Outdoor socket for crimbo lights...last year we had to run extention lead from garage
    • Plumbed sink in garage for messy jobs like cleaning paint brushes!
    • Phone socket for sky tv
    • more sockets in office...you would be suprised at how many you use
    • bigger walk in wardrobe.....not enough space for more wardrobes.we dont have any in bedroom so we really should have made the bedroom smaller and walk in wardrobe bigger
    • bigger hot press..its quite big already but as we have no attic(as we converted it) we are stuck for storage for things like suit cases and spare duvets etc
    • we went with a pellet burner.Hopper is in garage and can get very dusty in there....should have had a seperate house at back of garage to store the pellets (might move this yet!)
    thats all i can think of for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

grainnek wrote: »
    • Would have added plumbing for a dryer.....those ones you have to empty arent as good
    You can get condenser dryers (i.e. no connection to outside) which you can connect to drain and never require emptying. I have a Beko dryer set up like this.
    Another advantage of this type of dryer is that no heat is lost to outside, seeing as dryer tends to get used on colder days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

mrshappy wrote: »
    Storage storage storage.

On 3 house now so putting in many of the 'I wish I did this in last house' things

Outside tap & also hot tap if budget permits
    Garage & trees planted as house is being built
    Garage to be wired & also plumbed for sink for the messy jobs:D
    Ulitity room with sink and clothes pulley that attaches to ceiling.
    Large windows in kitchen/dining to make most of light
    Outside sockets and alot of 'extras' inside
    Cupboard to fit tall objects - ironing boards, hoover etc
    Cloakroom
    Where hot press is put a walk in on oppostite side iykwim to even out wall rather than having a 'corner' taken out of bedroom
    French doors instead of patio doors - open up area better

Had a list of over 100 things must route it out but that is what I can think of for now.

For anyone doing up room from scratch it is so well worth doing a mood board. Don't have to be an interior designer but put pictures in of whatever furniture you have on the board and built around it - will save a fortune in wasted time and money - worked well for me last time

Stupid question, eh mood board??

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Stupid question, eh mood board??

as described by the OP.

Don't have to be an interior designer but put pictures in of whatever furniture you have on the board and built around it - will save a fortune in wasted time and money - worked well for me last time

It avoids (most of the time) the risk of colour clashes in the final room design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Build garage first to store stuff/keep the place tidy rather than thinking about building/trying to budget for it afterwards!

Great post idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Great idea for a thread !
    Wish I'd a concrete first floor (kinda hard with timber-frame I guess!!!!).....
    Wish I'd asked the timber frame company to design the attic space so I could have converted it
    Actually, not hard. I have conc upstairs in mine, but, conversely, I'd never bother doing it again - better ways/materials out now for a 'dry' system. Would be cheaper, too. As for the Attic, don't know why Attic trusses aren't more common - they're not that dear, tbh....
    Do-more wrote: »
    Next build I will make sure to order all the external doors to open with the same key.
    btdt, good idea, didn't cost that much, either. But don't do it until AFTER your house is finished - get the mobile fitter to call out and change them -that way you can be sure no 'errant' keys in builder's van's etc floating about ........;)
    dunie001 wrote: »
    5. Triple the size of the utility room...no space at all for storage.
    6. Build a basement for even more storage...
    7. Yet more storage...

5.- how big is 'enough' ? Ours is 5m x 3m and we're still chockablock...:confused:
    6. - btdt, only issue is cost......
    7. - you see, junk/stuff, obeys the same law as gas: Boyle's Law - it expands to fill all available space.......! :D Look how the Dutch manage.!
    ...that proper high quality satellite cable is used etc., not cheap high loss TV cable ...don't let an electrician install your TV system cabling...get the job done by someone that actually understands what they are doing.
    You can sing that. In stereo ! damhik......... :D
    Chipboard wrote: »
    Everyone I know who has done a self build says they would do it better the second time - excellent thread..
    Agreed. But I've done it twice, someone told me it takes 3 goes to get it right ! :D
    fitzie79 wrote: »
    changed the location of the front door. When it's windy the wind blows directly into the front of the house.
    ...indeed, moved mine to the side of the house, for that reason.
    auzworld wrote: »
    Other ideas i'll be doing are ...
    Build in a lundry shute directly to utility room if you can
    We've done two house for clients lately, with this in it, and I had planned to put one in mine, but.... 2 snags: 1. You need a childproof door.......and 2. Well, laundry follows gravity you know, i.e., you still have to carry it back up ! Which is why in the US, some houses have their laundry on the 1st floor.......why can't we do that ?
    afrofish wrote: »
    • If building a garage consider adding an inspection pit when doing the foundations.
    • Have an Audio Visual cupboard in a room adjoining the living room ..you have easy access to the back of the components.

Forget the pit. Dangerous (fall hazard - it will happen...). Dangerous (fire hazard - fuel and gas fumes collect in it.....loves to spontaneously combust....)..Dangerous....(CO collects in it, and you'll pass out...).Liability....you find no-one will insure your house with it in it. Cheaper, easier, and removable: buy a car lift. You can one for 1k and bolt it the floor. If you don't use it, sell it and get your €€ back. Can't do that with a pit.
    +1 on the AV thing........it was on my 'to do' list, but I got overtaken by events.......

Variation on the security theme..........put in cable for CCTV......it's getting to that stage now, unfortunately........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

galwaytt wrote: »
    Which is why in the US, some houses have their laundry on the 1st floor.......why can't we do that ?

Would prefer to bring dirty clothes downstairs to the wash rather than wet clothes down and out to the line myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I really wish I'd remembered to put the cages on the chimney pots!! We've been tortured with birds living in our chimney since late spring. I've had them waken me up at 5 in the morning because the chimney comes through the master bedroom!! Torture!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

My mother told me: "Whatever number of sockets you think you'll use in the kitchen, double them." I got 8, and could have used 16. Would also have loved a 'garage' for all those appliances like mixers and juicers and coffee grinders and slow cookers and rice cookers.

The Japanese have a fabulous custom: in virtually all houses, every room has one wall that's 1-metre-deep cupboards, floor to ceiling, covered with sliding doors, which store *everything*.

Windows: in Irish light, the Georgians had it right - long windows give much more light than wide windows. Those huge Georgian windows seem crazy for a time when they didn't have central heating, but they fill the rooms with delicious, mellow light.

Floors: pale floors bring more light into rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Another terrible lesson, as I empty out the hotpress: build your hotpress with some of those pull-out baskets on rails (Ikea do them) - but also have a separate, well-aired storage place for spare sheets, towels, tablecloths, etc that aren't in constant use.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Avoid black PVC-U doors & windows, they expand and contract quite a large amount, I've found that the patio doors stick in the heat and are draughty in the winter.
    I have to adjust them twice a year now! The missus got some black blinds to match and they act like solar heaters in the summer as well (help heat the house in the winter though)

+1 Real nuisance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Would prefer to bring dirty clothes downstairs to the wash rather than wet clothes down and out to the line myself.

If you don't have a clothes line, it's moot.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

my mistake was fitting the kitchen before tiling the room now i have those gaps along the kitchen cabinet bottoms that become a cest pit of food YUKKK. The tiler was too lazy to pull out the kick boards so just tiled up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

Use one of those services that price materials based on plans. We got a quote for 500 euro to do this, didn't and would have been invaluable for the novice builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scotia Major

galwaytt wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread !

Actually, not hard. I have conc upstairs in mine, but, conversely, I'd never bother doing it again - better ways/materials out now for a 'dry' system. Would be cheaper, too. As for the Attic, don't know why Attic trusses aren't more common - they're not that dear, tbh....

btdt, good idea, didn't cost that much, either. But don't do it until AFTER your house is finished - get the mobile fitter to call out and change them -that way you can be sure no 'errant' keys in builder's van's etc floating about ........;)

5.- how big is 'enough' ? Ours is 5m x 3m and we're still chockablock...:confused:
    6. - btdt, only issue is cost......
    7. - you see, junk/stuff, obeys the same law as gas: Boyle's Law - it expands to fill all available space.......! :D Look how the Dutch manage.!

You can sing that. In stereo ! damhik......... :D

Agreed. But I've done it twice, someone told me it takes 3 goes to get it right ! :D

...indeed, moved mine to the side of the house, for that reason.

We've done two house for clients lately, with this in it, and I had planned to put one in mine, but.... 2 snags: 1. You need a childproof door.......and 2. Well, laundry follows gravity you know, i.e., you still have to carry it back up ! Which is why in the US, some houses have their laundry on the 1st floor.......why can't we do that ?

Forget the pit. Dangerous (fall hazard - it will happen...). Dangerous (fire hazard - fuel and gas fumes collect in it.....loves to spontaneously combust....)..Dangerous....(CO collects in it, and you'll pass out...).Liability....you find no-one will insure your house with it in it. Cheaper, easier, and removable: buy a car lift. You can one for 1k and bolt it the floor. If you don't use it, sell it and get your €€ back. Can't do that with a pit.
    +1 on the AV thing........it was on my 'to do' list, but I got overtaken by events.......

Variation on the security theme..........put in cable for CCTV......it's getting to that stage now, unfortunately........

Do build an inspection pit in the garage. It doesn't have to be left open. It can be built with a lip just below the finished floor level so heavy duty planks of wood can sit snugly in it when not in use. Just lift them off when needed.

Fit the house with those suction pipes outlets in most rooms that can be hooked up to a hoover noozle. Dirt then gets sucked to the one bag in the garage or whereever. No need for hauling around a hoover or clearing filters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭New build in sight

Amazing thread!

We havent started the actual build yet, we reckon we're days away from comencement notice going in....

However one thing that i wished i had of done, even at design stage was read this thread first.....

I really wished we had the kitchen designed before the house. I think i would of found it much easier to design the kitchen first rather than trying to build it into the space we now have.

Excellent thread though!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

observer wrote: »
    how do you mean your engineer/architect??

There is no limit to the size of windows. I am an architect and you can get windows / doors up to 3m wide! this is so dissappointing to hear as a professional wanting and loving to work for people on their houses and achieving everything they want

My brother in law had to have his sitting room and bedroom windows at the front of the house no more than 1.2 metres wide. We have a similar style of house and have big massive bay windows where he has 3 small one, if you know what I mean, and our light and view is superior. Same architect. Same planning authority. Different area of the county.

• Advertisement

cabledude wrote: »
    My brother in law had to have his sitting room and bedroom windows at the front of the house no more than 1.2 metres wide. We have a similar style of house and have big massive bay windows where he has 3 small one, if you know what I mean, and our light and view is superior. Same architect. Same planning authority. Different area of the county.
    You've quoted a post from Sept. '09. We really don't need that.

Advertisement