Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aluminium vs PVC gutters

• 03-12-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Aluminium vs PVC fascia, soffit & gutters what are the pros & cons for each.

What are people's opinions on each.

I've also to build one of the down pipes in behind a stone finish on the wall and it's been suggested to use cast iron for this pipe

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Have you priced the alu v upc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

BryanF wrote: »
    Have you priced the alu v upc?

Not yet that's the plan for tomorrow and Friday

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Ppc alu looks best is more robust,heavier but will cost more than uPVC

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Randal76

Alu gives a great choice of Ral colours. If you go with Alu fascia make sure it's at least 2mm thick.

I Met with a few suppliers and some recommend all aluminum as they claim the PVC will warp with the heat (going for black) others say go with PVC fascia & soffit with aluminum gutters as the aluminum doesn't look great joined on the gables.

What are people's thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

I see an awful lot of non-white PVC facia bleaching badly. Same thing with plastic windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

The gutters fitted to my build were plastic and my builder had a fit when he saw them. He called the company there and then and had them come out and replace them with aluminium. He said that a good fall of snow will snap the hangers and the gutters will end up on the ground, and that when this happened in 2010 it was impossible to get hangers for the pvc gutters as the supply had completely dried up.

I thought the pvc ones looked tidier, but wouldn't want to see them on the ground.

fatty pang wrote: »
    I see an awful lot of non-white PVC facia bleaching badly. Same thing with plastic windows.

Is there anything I should be asking for with the black PVC is it a given that it will bleach. My sister has black Munster windows 8 yrs and they seem fine. I'm

Gosub wrote: »
    The gutters fitted to my build were plastic and my builder had a fit when he saw them. He called the company there and then and had them come out and replace them with aluminium. He said that a good fall of snow will snap the hangers and the gutters will end up on the ground, and that when this happened in 2010 it was impossible to get hangers for the pvc gutters as the supply had completely dried up.

I thought the pvc ones looked tidier, but wouldn't want to see them on the ground.

I've been told then joints on the PVC and notorious for leaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

hexosan wrote: »
    Is there anything I should be asking for with the black PVC is it a given that it will bleach. My sister has black Munster windows 8 yrs and they seem fine. I'm

I would certainly be asking for a guarantee.
    Just about anything will fade but at varying rates and dependent upon location and protection/shading. The foil coverings on window profiles are more colourfast then the solid colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Hey hexosan
    I fitted green alu facia and soffit on my gaff 15 yrs ago. as good as the day i fitted it. Green pvc on a workshop out the back and its faded badly and looks crap.Black pvc gutter coming off in the new year and replaced with alu. Cleaner line with the alu gutter and the fact it sits tight to the facia you dont have lines and lines of cob webs that you do with gaps behind pvc. Stronger gutter for snowfalls also imo.
    The only criticism I could say is that alu facia on gables, when the sun shines at a certain angle, you can see slight undulations between fixing points. Not a deal breaker either. Imho alu all the way. Iirc the alu can take a colour change if you want down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Not a great fan of PVC gutters they tend to leak after few years at some of the joints. I made the decision to use alum gutters and PVC ficia on last few houses an looks great. Had a problem where I could not get gutters and ficia in sameGray RAL color so put up the ficia to match windows and gutters in black with grey PVC down pipes and look great.

I'm running the down pipes behind a section of the house with stone on it. What are people's thoughts on what I should use here. Round or square alu or PVC pipes. Was just going to go with 3". I'm aware I'll have to swan neck or out at the top to join the gutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭893bet

Sligoronan wrote: »
    Not a great fan of PVC gutters they tend to leak after few years at some of the joints. I made the decision to use alum gutters and PVC ficia on last few houses an looks great. Had a problem where I could not get gutters and ficia in sameGray RAL color so put up the ficia to match windows and gutters in black with grey PVC down pipes and look great.

I went with this. Alu gutters and pvc sofit, facia and down pipes. All black.

893bet wrote: »
    I went with this. Alu gutters and pvc sofit, facia and down pipes. All black.

That's what I've decided as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

hexosan wrote: »
    That's what I've decided as well

Ditto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Ditto.

It must be all the rage...same here.

Advertisement