Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney removal

Options
  • 15-12-2014 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All. I am looking at renovating my place - it's a 1920s mid-terrace house, two storeys. There is a chimney that is at the very rear of the original building, but half blocks passage to the extension. In order to do what I'd like, I'd need to remove it from the upstairs of the house. I'd like to leave it in place on the ground floor though, as it's a nice feature there. Does anyone have an idea in what's involved in this, what kind of costs, permissions, risks, etc. are to be considered? I haven't done any big jobs like this before, so I'm a bit wary. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

winticant wrote: »
    Hi All. I am looking at renovating my place - it's a 1920s mid-terrace house, two storeys. There is a chimney that is at the very rear of the original building, but half blocks passage to the extension. In order to do what I'd like, I'd need to remove it from the upstairs of the house. I'd like to leave it in place on the ground floor though, as it's a nice feature there. Does anyone have an idea in what's involved in this, what kind of costs, permissions, risks, etc. are to be considered? I haven't done any big jobs like this before, so I'm a bit wary. Any advice would be appreciated!

You need an engineer or architect to design how the flue can escape the house safely when the breast above is removed.

Costs could be anything dendong the location of the chimney and how it can be done in accordance with the building regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

winticant wrote: »

Hi we did our one similar like yours firstly u need to have an architect or engineer to make sure ur roof will support any removal and the load on the top of the roof. Then they design or have to place a steel to hold the load of the chimney in the attic and the roof. Also our bed room fire couldn't be removed as the downstairs flue wall leaning on the upstairs one so if we had it removed whole chimney had to be rebuilt from the bottom. You also have to be care full as neighbours chimney could be touching with yours also cost we had paid approx 2500 but trust me its very messy work lots of sand comes out of them and dust. it destroys all bed and even cloths in wardrobe no matter how much u cover.

Advertisement