Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dole in Galway manageable?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

that's what i thought!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12401660

it's only a middle class luxury when you don't need it, i wish I had sprung for some

Oh no. Was that your pad upstairs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stepping back a bit, the OP asked if the dole was manageable. Dole is for unemployed people, not students

I don't think that a student lifestyle, which often includes:
    • built-in entertainment (called study!),
    • student discounts (not generally available to the unemployed),
    • friends living a similarly frugal life
    • usually sympathetic family who expect to be giving you stuff,
    • usually a relatively young age (more likely to be healthy and not need vegetables, able to walk everywhere, able to tolerate living with strangers better, able to spend the day in the university library so don't need to heat the house, happy to live in low-quality housing because they don't expect to be there for long and can go home to the parents warm house holidays and weekends)
    is a good comparison.

Most people can live short-term on E188 per week if they're job-hunting and have existing clothing etc, and savings to use for one-off costs.

IMHO, and that of a few others here, very few could do it long term, or even medium term. I know I couldn't (and yes, I've recently be unemployed, or temping and earning shyte, for several years).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

that's what i thought!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12401660

it's only a middle class luxury when you don't need it, i wish I had sprung for some
    Well that's my point isn't it... more often than not, you don't need it. Otherwise insurance wouldn't be a profitable industry.

The likelihood of requiring and insurance payout is quite low (providing you're not a mentalist), what it mainly offers is peace of mind, hence why it is a luxury.

If I found myself out of a job and struggling to put food on the table, I think that would be a bigger worry for me than a freak accident.
    empacher wrote: »
    My diet isn't that unusual Brown pasta/rice and meat. Carbs and protein is all i need
    Wait... you sound like someone quite concious of their fitness.. and you actually believe this? I'm lazy as f*** with an awful diet and even I know that's bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

JustMary wrote: »
    Stepping back a bit, the OP asked if the dole was manageable. Dole is for unemployed people, not students

• usually a relatively young age (more likely to be healthy and not need vegetables, able to walk everywhere, able to tolerate living with strangers better, able to spend the day in the university library so don't need to heat the house, happy to live in low-quality housing because they don't expect to be there for long and can go home to the parents warm house holidays and weekends)
    is a good comparison.

Most people can live short-term on E188 per week if they're job-hunting and have existing clothing etc, and savings to use for one-off costs.

IMHO, and that of a few others here, very few could do it long term, or even medium term. I know I couldn't (and yes, I've recently be unemployed, or temping and earning shyte, for several years).

Dole isn't meant to support people for long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

As the poster above mentioned, dole is not designed for long-term benefit, otherwise people would have less incentive to find work (yes I know that 99.9% of people would prefer to work if jobs were available).

People in general have been so used to living beyond their means that they cannot even entertain the idea of budget living. Some posters here have mentioned ridiculous things like "what about insurance, birthday presents, vitamins, tea/coffee, etc.." If you are on hard times, these kind of unnecessary items are the last thing that should be of concern.

I 100% agree with everything that empacher has said here. I too was a student not too long ago. I had a weekend job and earned about €130 a week from this. I also am from Galway but moved into town for college for my own benefit and paid my own rent. Got no handouts from family. I not only managed all the expenses that empacher mentioned in his posts, I also managed to save some money. This involves a LOT of sacrifices that I honestly think some people just are not prepared to make.

You cannot:
    - go to restaurants or eat out in general
    - buy drink in pubs/clubs (drink at home before you go out)
    - cinema more than once every two months
    - buy expensive clothes
    - buy branded groceries (€20 a week in Aldi/Lidl will cover a lot)
    - buy rubbish (crisps, sweets, etc)
    - put heating on all the time
    - leave your lights and other appliances on more than necessary
    - be generous to friends / family (who will understand your circumstances)
    - drive everywhere
    - spoil yourself
    - all other discretionary spend (if you don't need it to survive, don't buy)

It is different for those with families, but for single people on the dole, they should be able to manage with €188. With rent, its very tight living, and you will struggle if you're paying more than €300 a month, but if you can't afford it, find a place thats cheaper. There are houses on Daft with €200 monthly rent in Galway. Its a bleak situation for anyone to be in, but its important to be realistic until work comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

d-gal wrote: »
    Reading thru the dole thread in the Irish Economy section and got me wondering. Do people in Galway think that the dole is manageable for the average person?
    Personally I think the cost of living is not that bad in Galway. Food is especially cheap. Without even thinking about Aldi/Lidl/Tesco the likes of Terryland Fruit/Veg and many butchers (constant deals) are awful cheap.
    Galway is a fairly compact city for majority. Cars are not essential. Simple example is walking from Liosbaun Ind Estate to the prom takes around 40mins. Do not think that is a insanely long amount of time and thats one side of the city to the other side.
    This is more just comparing other parts of Ireland and not taking a dig at anyone on SW. Hopefully people on the SW might even get some ideas from this thread if they are finding it hard to budget as well!

Galway is a mecca for social welfare recipients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Galway is a mecca for social welfare recipients.

Why do you say that?
    I'd agree but in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why do you say that?

Pretty sure someone posted a link here recently that Galway had unusually high unemployment rates even pre recession, in a vaguely similar discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cladda1112

is a good comparison.

Being living on 177 euro for nearly 2 years now. Hard to feed a family of 4 and pay the bills. Gets very depressing. And to make matters worse will be worse of next wk. I think its a diff story when you a student with just yourself to look after and family to help out. Also if you live in galway you dont need a car but if in the country its a must. That alone cost me 50 plus per wk with insurance, Tax and petrol not to mention repairs. And if i had a euro for every cv i have sent out i would be well of. Try buying groc for 4 for under 40 euro for the wk,,,, as for christmas presents they have being cancelled this year only santa(your only a child once) though it wont be anything expensive. Yea my partner is working but after loosing his job got a min wage job and his take home pay is around 680 a forthnight. Which isnt even covering the mortgage which we are in big trouble with. Yea diff think a student on 188 should be well able to manage.

• Advertisement

Why do you say that?

Galway has always attracted people who either are unemployed, not unsure what to do with themselves or are taking a break. in other cities people would have a problem with that, but not in Galway. Its an easy going pace of life.
    its compact,easy get to know people and compared to Dublin very cheap.

Pretty sure someone posted a link here recently that Galway had unusually high unemployment rates even pre recession, in a vaguely similar discussion.

Galway has a population of around 70,000 with more than half under the age of 25. for people over this age there are not too many jobs.

cladda1112 wrote: »
    Being living on 177 euro for nearly 2 years now. Hard to feed a family of 4 and pay the bills. Gets very depressing. And to make matters worse will be worse of next wk. I think its a diff story when you a student with just yourself to look after and family to help out. Also if you live in galway you dont need a car but if in the country its a must. That alone cost me 50 plus per wk with insurance, Tax and petrol not to mention repairs. And if i had a euro for every cv i have sent out i would be well of. Try buying groc for 4 for under 40 euro for the wk,,,, as for christmas presents they have being cancelled this year only santa(your only a child once) though it wont be anything expensive. Yea my partner is working but after loosing his job got a min wage job and his take home pay is around 680 a forthnight. Which isnt even covering the mortgage which we are in big trouble with. Yea diff think a student on 188 should be well able to manage.

Ireland has the most generous welfare system out there. if you milk the system correctly you can live quite well of the state.

you do not have to splash out a few thousand euro on christmas.
    I worked with inner city Dublin kids whose parents have been on welfare for years, yet the kids get presents like a laptop or xbox. the poorer the family the bigger the tv.

BESman wrote: »
    People in general have been so used to living beyond their means that they cannot even entertain the idea of budget living. Some posters here have mentioned ridiculous things like "what about insurance, birthday presents, vitamins, tea/coffee, etc.." If you are on hard times, these kind of unnecessary items are the last thing that should be of concern.

You cannot:
    - go to restaurants or eat out in general
    - buy drink in pubs/clubs (drink at home before you go out)
    - cinema more than once every two months
    - drive everywhere
    - spoil yourself

That list just highlights that different people have different priorities: alcohol (even offie) is on my list of luxuries that can be done without. So are trips to the cinema (any frequency) and owning a car at all. But I regard vegetables and instant coffee as pretty much essential - the former for basic health, the latter just because! And the flip side of not owning a car is a need to live where it's possible to walk everywhere, and there aren't many places offering that for 300pcm ... especially that are prepared to take a 40-something as a housemate!

And I repeat, I don't think that student and adult lifestyles can be compared.

You know things are going to sh*t when vegetables, a tea bag and clean undies are deemed an unnecessary and a 'luxury', but 'a can at home' is deemed ok.

Jesus people, have ye no humanity and sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cladda1112

Ireland has the most generous welfare system out there. if you milk the system correctly you can live quite well of the state.

you do not have to splash out a few thousand euro on christmas.
    I worked with inner city Dublin kids whose parents have been on welfare for years, yet the kids get presents like a laptop or xbox. the poorer the family the bigger the tv.

Maybe true in certain situations but if you try to get on at all ie work and try and get a job you are screwed. Expecialy as a family if on a min wage job. You then loose all your intitlements including med card. Yea i know if my partner stayed in bed all day and didnt go to work we would be better off and intitled to a lot more but the diff is we want to work and milking the system is not what we want to do. I have worked all my life since i was 16 and so has my other half. And that is the problem this country rewards people to be lazy and not to get a job. As for christmass pressies no laptop or expensiver goods here as i believe in the message of christmas not what you get.

• Advertisement

cladda1112 wrote: »
    Maybe true in certain situations but if you try to get on at all ie work and try and get a job you are screwed. Expecialy as a family if on a min wage job. You then loose all your intitlements including med card. Yea i know if my partner stayed in bed all day and didnt go to work we would be better off and intitled to a lot more but the diff is we want to work and milking the system is not what we want to do. I have worked all my life since i was 16 and so has my other half. And that is the problem this country rewards people to be lazy and not to get a job. As for christmass pressies no laptop or expensiver goods here as i believe in the message of christmas not what you get.

true enough, this country does reward you if you are lazy and an entire strata of society has been created consisting of people who are dependent on handouts.
    you could get a minimum wage job or out could milk the system and get paid more.
    i have worked with kids whose sole ambition in life is to go the dole once they finish school. thats what they know and their parents have been on the dole for years. there is no encouragement to go out and find a job.

for the sake of my sanity I would rather work a minimum wage job rather than sit around.

its hard to be unemployed in a society that considers itself flathuil and overspends at christmas.

The OP asked the question particularly in relation to Galway

I'd imagine there are pros and cons to all places. Living in somewhere like Dublin you might have access to more bulk / cheaper foods than a smaller town, access to more free places to go that are warm / libraries / museums / resource centres that offer help with applying for jobs. If you were on the outskirts you'd have to figure in transportation costs etc.

Dole or no dole aside, I actually don't agree at all that Galway is way cheaper than Dublin.

inisboffin wrote: »
    The OP asked the question particularly in relation to Galway

I'd imagine there are pros and cons to all places. Living in somewhere like Dublin you might have access to more bulk / cheaper foods than a smaller town, access to more free places to go that are warm / libraries / museums / resource centres that offer help with applying for jobs. If you were on the outskirts you'd have to figure in transportation costs etc.

Dole or no dole aside, I actually don't agree at all that Galway is way cheaper than Dublin.

you can walk or cycle anywhere in Galway. In Dublin you are more reliant on public transport, which costs money.
    the rent in Galway is cheaper.
    there are also cheap eateries in galway.
    the price of a pint is at least a euro cheaper.
    galway has at least one free library.

you can walk or cycle anywhere in Galway. In Dublin you are more reliant on public transport, which costs money.
    the rent in Galway is cheaper.
    there are also cheap eateries in galway.
    the price of a pint is at least a euro cheaper.
    galway has at least one free library.

Do you think?
    To be honest, the only thing I would actually maybe agree with you on is the price of a pint, and even then there are a load of cheap pubs in Dublin, and ones with specials! I'm not a big one for following pint prices.

Given that people on the dole are not really allowed a pint according to folks on this thread ;) that's neither here nor there.

Cycling in Dublin is brilliant. Cycling in Galway is...well..not so much. Way more people do it, and there is good infrastructure for cyclists, as well as the bike share scheme. Dublin has (it took me ages to admit it, but it's true!;)) better weather for cycling. I love cycling in Dublin, and tons of folks I know cycle a mile or 2 daily to work.

LOADS of my friends have cheaper rent, for the same type of house, in Dublin. There are more bigger / older houses which makes sharing cheaper.

Cheap eateries in Galway? Don't think so. There are a million little cheap places in Dublin. Indian food etc is way cheaper - particularly on the Northside.

Galway has a few libraries, and they are grand. They are often too packed to get a seat though, when students come in to study. Dublin has a ton of free (warm) places to go, museums, galleries, events.
    Main thing about Dublin is that everything doesn't shut down as early.

All that being said, obviously I love Galway enough that I choose to live here. But cheapo city it ain't.

Why do I keep seeing 'student lifestyle' mentioned? Students aren't allowed to sign on.

That said, why are students who finish their under-grad course allowed to sign on for the summer between starting a Masters? Seems a bit unfair that my friends were able to pick up a €1000+ backdate in October since they signed on after their last exam in May, having already applied for post-grad studies, while myself (who was going into 3rd year) wasn't allowed sing-on, despite being in the exact same situation (living at home with parents for the summer). Hell, I even know a lot of them who went on holiday over the summer since they knew their dole wouldn't be sorted for months and would get it backdated.

I'd also like to know what the reasoning behind the lower rate for younger people is. As I said earlier in the thread, my dole was cut to €100 which was simply unmanageable. The only way I survived was by literally not paying my rent. I did not have the money to "jobseek" either. Why does a 21 year old living alone require less money than a 25 year old? Is it simply designed to force the younger generation out of the country?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Why do I keep seeing 'student lifestyle' mentioned? Students aren't allowed to sign on.

That said, why are students who finish their under-grad course allowed to sign on for the summer between starting a Masters? Seems a bit unfair that my friends were able to pick up a €1000+ backdate in October since they signed on after their last exam in May, having already applied for post-grad studies, while myself (who was going into 3rd year) wasn't allowed sing-on, despite being in the exact same situation (living at home with parents for the summer). Hell, I even know a lot of them who went on holiday over the summer since they knew their dole wouldn't be sorted for months and would get it backdated.

I'd also like to know what the reasoning behind the lower rate for younger people is. As I said earlier in the thread, my dole was cut to €100 which was simply unmanageable. The only way I survived was by literally not paying my rent. I did not have the money to "jobseek" either. Why does a 21 year old living alone require less money than a 25 year old? Is it simply designed to force the younger generation out of the country?

The simple answer is that there is not much reasoning behind the welfare system in Ireland from what I can see, and that includes student welfare.

As far as I know, or when I last calculated, the highest local authority grant you can get as a student is still lower than collecting the dole for the year. Therefore unemployed people are being given more and are entitled to more than students whose parents/parent are from the lowest earning income bracket. I've yet to come across an adequate explanation for it all, it's crazy.

"Student lifestyle" was mentioned because people compared how the lived on student incomes with living on the dole - apples and oranges, IMHO.

I do sympathise with you re the lower rate. IMHO, there's justification for a lower rate (young people have less long-term responsibilites, on average), but 50% lower is too low.

But fyi, it's not just a youth-rate: I'm a foreign-born national, and came to Ireland for the first time in my early forties. I worked for a while before the recession started and my contract ended. Just long enough to qualify for JSB. But because I only had a short work-history in the EU, I was treated as a school leaver .. and I got the youth half rate dole too! It's not too hard to imagine scenarios where some people who've lived here all their lives would fall into similar situations.

I do sympathise with you re the lower rate. IMHO, there's justification for a lower rate (young people have less long-term responsibilites, on average), but 50% lower is too low.
    Age just seems such an arbitrary factor in judging someone. I'm surprised we even still use age restrictions for anything, but the youth are pretty much the only part of society you're allowed to discriminate against these days so I guess it isn't an issue.

The only long-term responsibilities an older person is likely to have are kids and a mortgage, both of which should be assessed on an individual basis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I've a job and my money is just accumulating in my bank account. Don't know what to do with it.

I've a job and my money is just accumulating in my bank account. Don't know what to do with it.

you may not be Irish, cos if you were you would be under massive pressure to splash it all out, whether it be a little retail therapy in new york or spending a few grand on christmas, otherwise you would be labelled stingy or even tight arsed, no worse insult.

why did you not buy several houses like so many others. how could you content yourself with only one home?

I see galway students are living off SVDP, according to TV§ at least. they are probably tired of pot noodles and want a decent meal.
    NUIG is awash with money. maybe they should finance their needy students

Sure I've got an account where you could rest your money, to save yourself the stress. :p

The only long-term responsibilities an older person is likely to have are kids and a mortgage

I guess responsibities isn't quite the right word.

Membership of community groups - both hobbies, and also more serious things like school boards. These take cash to get to them, and to participate (even it's just meeting someone over coffee), and can't always be dropped instantly the moment someone loses their job.

Hobbies themselves. (Students get social contact and mental stimulation thru their study. Unemployed adults don't have any at all, unless they participate in something. Sitting at home in front of TV all the time won't keep them motivated and healthy.

Job hunting costs.

A car: even if you don't drive it much, owning one costs (insurance, NCT, registration).

Existing debt ... taken out when they were't unemployed.

Existing pets. (I don't support an unemployed person getting one .. but it's a bit harsh to insist that someone loses their only companion just cos they lose their job).

Aging friends ... some of whom will start getting sick (costs money to visit them in hospital) and dying (costs to participate in the funeral).

Ageing parents ... ditto.

Membership of community groups - both hobbies, and also more serious things like school boards. These take cash to get to them, and to participate (even it's just meeting someone over coffee), and can't always be dropped instantly the moment someone loses their job.

Hobbies themselves. (Students get social contact and mental stimulation thru their study. Unemployed adults don't have any at all, unless they participate in something. Sitting at home in front of TV all the time won't keep them motivated and healthy.
    Yet if you suggested young people spending some of their dole on going out drinking, which is a massive part of a lot of people's social life, you'd be scoffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Gal2011

My girlfriend and i moved in together recently and she had just started on the dole as she lost her job about 3 months previously. She moved in with me and is paying half the rent. I am working away the whole time and my wage varies but its about €2000 after tax take home per month. When the dole realised that she was moving in with me they said they would have to look at her claim again and wanted to see my pay slips which we provided. She is actively looking for work but the dole has cut her payment as of today by €50 obviously due to the fact that i am working and she moved in with me. She does not claim rent allowance or ANY other form of social allowance and is currently trying to save some money from the dole to pay for a course in March which she is not looking for any help with financially for and this would hopefully get her work but the Social Welfare have cut her job seeking allowance due to the fact she is living with me. They are a joke as i know for a fact of numerous people who are cheating the system but the more honest you are the more you get punished. They treated my girlfriend like scum when they realised she was moving in with me and made it like she was doing something wrong and they then expect me to support bother her and me financially on my wage whilst also paying about €500 tax every month. I have no problem supporting my girlfriend and we always share everything when possible but I won't use the words i want to use on this forum to describe my current anger as she will now have to move out of our house and probably back home with her parents.

Yet if you suggested young people spending some of their dole on going out drinking, which is a massive part of a lot of people's social life, you'd be scoffed at.

If you are serioiusly suggesting that "drinking" is a hobby, and that it's not possible to socialise without it, then the country is more fceked that I thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

if your living in dublin or galway shop locally, 2 keep the local economy going
    the likes of Tesco & Aldi might have great deals... but puts feck all money goes back in the system

If you are serioiusly suggesting that "drinking" is a hobby, and that it's not possible to socialise without it, then the country is more fceked that I thought!
    You have just told me that older people require money to fund hobbies as they have less social interaction, how is that any less ridiculous?

A social lives of a majority of young adults in this country centres around drinking. To the ignorant, that sounds 'sad' or worrying, but it really isn't. The pubs and nightclubs are where a majority of my peers are found on a weekend (or weeknight). If I couldn't afford to go out, my social life would take a massive hit.

Going to pubs and nightclubs is just as legitimate a social activity as joining a book club or whatever else. In fact it's probably a lot more sociable than most hobbies people like you would hold in higher regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

You have just told me that older people require money to fund hobbies as they have less social interaction, how is that any less ridiculous?

A social lives of a majority of young adults in this country centres around drinking. To the ignorant, that sounds 'sad' or worrying, but it really isn't. The pubs and nightclubs are where a majority of my peers are found on a weekend (or weeknight). If I couldn't afford to go out, my social life would take a massive hit.

Going to pubs and nightclubs is just as legitimate a social activity as joining a book club or whatever else. In fact it's probably a lot more sociable than most hobbies people like you would hold in higher regard.

?!

When I was broke and a student, I sat at gigs with a pint of miwadi. Now it won't make you the most popular person with a barman, but if friends are drinking or if you're not taking a seat from a major punter and are polite, it's totally doable. Students tend to go out a lot, and in a gang. Seeing the world without beer goggles once in a while is no harm and doable.

orangebud wrote: »
    if your living in dublin or galway shop locally, 2 keep the local economy going
    the likes of Tesco & Aldi might have great deals... but puts feck all money goes back in the system

I agree in theory, but in practice that won't always work if you're struggling. It's a catch 22 for poor people. Middle class earners are the biggest spenders at farmers' markets. If you are luck enough to have a bit of space, growing your own is the only way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

When I was broke and a student, I sat at gigs with a pint of miwadi. Now it won't make you the most popular person with a barman, but if friends are drinking or if you're not taking a seat from a major punter and are polite, it's totally doable. Students tend to go out a lot, and in a gang. Seeing the world without beer goggles once in a while is no harm and doable.

As a postgrad I tend to socialise a few nights a week. I don't drink anymore and so thus am on a constant miwadi binge. I personally couldn't give 2 f*cks what the barman thinks, he's paid to put it in front of me and take my money.

My point is that drinking that crap is horrible, so i vary it to other soft drinks. I find that its very expensive to exist on small money and to try and enjoy a night out with a few drinks that aren't going to kill oneself the next day. I think that publicans should be forced to sell soft drinks at a reduced cost, in the same fashion they have reduced prices for beer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

constantg wrote: »
    As a postgrad I tend to socialise a few nights a week. I don't drink anymore and so thus am on a constant miwadi binge. I personally couldn't give 2 f*cks what the barman thinks, he's paid to put it in front of me and take my money.

My point is that drinking that crap is horrible, so i vary it to other soft drinks. I find that its very expensive to exist on small money and to try and enjoy a night out with a few drinks that aren't going to kill oneself the next day. I think that publicans should be forced to sell soft drinks at a reduced cost, in the same fashion they have reduced prices for beer....

You got that right. I'm not much of a drinker and also to chime in on the well, students drink to socialize and that's important notion. When I was a student I was turned down for the grant so in my first 2 years of college I drank 2 nights in total. Just like with everything else, if you are limited you adapt...if people can still afford to get pissed it's because they have the luxury of enough money to do that.

But anyway, on this quote. I'm pretty fed up with the price of soft drinks in a pub. I might only drink 3 on a night out sober but paying up to 3 euro for a glass of coke when a large bottle cost 2 euro is a bit of a kick in the tits. I was in Fagans (I have no problem naming them) last christmas and they were running the designated driver campaign. I showed my keys and asked for a coke, the barmaid was pleasent, no problem and got it for me.

Then the manager in there at the time came over and talked to her and looked pissed off. He then made a face and a humph sound at me as he took the signs down for the designated driver campaign. It was still in date and valid as I checked the sign. It's just amazing that even when Coca Cola are subsidizing the f'kin soft drinks that the bar managers still get in a strop over it. Really annoying.

Every boom for our local economy here tends to be most directly aimed at the hospitality sector and the people running them have no idea of loyalty or customer service. Volvo Ocean Race, Race Week, RAG Week, St Patricks Day. Who are the main profiteers from them in our local economy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Volvo Ocean Race, Race Week, RAG Week, St Patricks Day. Who are the main profiteers from them in our local economy?
    Accomodation providers.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Every boom for our local economy here tends to be most directly aimed at the hospitality sector and the people running them have no idea of loyalty or customer service
    It doesn't really pay to be loyal to customers who do nothing but sit there drinking free soft drinks.

• Advertisement

It doesn't really pay to be loyal to customers who do nothing but sit there drinking free soft drinks.

The 'free' soft drinks are only usually if you are buying a round of paid drinks. I always had to pay 50p at least for my miwadi! ;)

As for the spendy soft drinks, in general the mark up for them is huge!. I'd have a mi-wadi or a tea or two depending on the pub, a pint of blackcurrant is another one. One or two nights a week drinking mi wadi or blackcurrant is no more harmful than drinking coke/vodka/cheap beer.

Maybe some people are allergic to miwadi? To me it is grand, once you have mostly water.

And yet again, let me extol the virtues of tea. Antioxidants, happy thoughts, yum!

Pint of water hurt no one. Again, if you are being a d*ck at a gig or hogging a seat, fair enough. Otherwise, hang out and sip yer orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

my main issue is taste....tastes horrible! And yet if you're a fast drinker like me it's really the only thing to stick on......haven't gone on the 'beer' in the city of the tribes in a while, but if memory serves its a pretty big earner for the pubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Yeah, I'm a bartender myself and it's very common to get a Miwadi.

constantg wrote: »
    my main issue is taste....tastes horrible! And yet if you're a fast drinker like me it's really the only thing to stick on......haven't gone on the 'beer' in the city of the tribes in a while, but if memory serves its a pretty big earner for the pubs?

In fairness, Miwadi doesn't taste as ok to me these days as it used to. I think they add artificial sweetener to everything these days as *well* as sugar! Gives stuff an unpleasant after taste sometimes.

Lime is ok too.

Advertisement