Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter from social welfare office - Course recruitment

Options
  • 01-12-2011 10:40am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got a letter out from my local social welfare office this morning (Not FAS) telling me there's an information day for a course in my local hotel soon.

Thing is, the letter is a bit ambigious in terms of whether or not the day is optional. To be blunt, I know the course would be a waste of time and would offer me absolutly nothing so don't want to go unless it is absolutly nessecary.

Has anyone got these letters before? Whats the experience with them? Am I best just ignoring it for the time being?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Unless it says that it is compulsory, then it is not. Of course, if you go along, and get evidence of your attendance, it could be a useful thing if for no other reason than it could help demonstrate to a future social welfare officer that you are making all possible efforts to find a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I got a letter like this recently re a ce scheme which said apply for this, if not applying gave a reasons or you payment may be affected. This ce scheme was not going to improve my chance of getting a job but it I sent the letter back.
    I did not want trouble from social welfare.
    I would attend this open day to show that you are looking for work and are willing to do courses to improve your job prospects.

Advertisement