Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC won't boot

• 18-08-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, I have a old PC which is for family use and it is a Sony vaio and runs on windows xp. I'm not sure when it was made but it is a monitor and PC in one unit with a wireless keyboard and mouse. I decided that I would install lubuntu since xp doesn't have support anymore. The install apperently was a susscess but now it won't boot. Whenever I turn it on it's stuck at the vaio splash screen. Ive tried to boot into the install disc I used and that also doesn't work. Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If it isn't even getting past the splash screen then the first thing I'd advise you to do is to go into the bios and see if you can disable the splash screen to see any debug information. You will probably need to get a wired keyboard to do this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Henmistro

Knasher wrote: »
    If it isn't even getting past the splash screen then the first thing I'd advise you to do is to go into the bios and see if you can disable the splash screen to see any debug information. You will probably need to get a wired keyboard to do this though.
    Well the keyboard is already connected at the point where I am. Also when it boots up you can press f11 a list of bootable disks appear, that doesn't happen now so I guess I won't be able to get the bios menu up. I don't have a wired keyboard right now so are there any other ways I could fix this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

It sounds like the keyboard is working without depending on software to pair it, otherwise pressing f11 shouldn't do anything. That is the only reason I felt you would need a wired keyboard.

Anyway try pressing f2 or delete during boot to get to the bios screen (it should usually say during boot what the key is, but just in case it is usually one of those two), and look for the setting to disable the boot logo. The wording any location of this setting can vary by computer, so I can't tell you exactly how to find it, but be very careful about changing settings in the bios, some of them can be dangerous. If you have any questions, do ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You need to get in before this stage. Google your laptop's make/model number to see how.

Also try a boot CD/USB stick with Linux on it.

Ok I'll try get my hands on a wired keyboard. I've looked around a few different bios menus and I understand what can go wrong. The boot screen has no details on it but the brand name (vaio). So I'll be sure to do some research on it's bios menu and how to get there.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You need to get in before this stage. Google your laptop's make/model number to see how.

Also try a boot CD/USB stick with Linux on it.

I'm trying to find my PC on the internet but I haven't had luck. But there is a serial number on the back I could use that if I put it in the right place. I've already tried to boot it into a live cd and it's too old for USB booting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Henmistro wrote: »
    I'm trying to find my PC on the internet but I haven't had luck. But there is a serial number on the back I could use that if I put it in the right place. I've already tried to boot it into a live cd and it's too old for USB booting.

Beside the serial number is most likely where you will find the model number.

Advertisement