Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing OpenElec on old laptop

Options
  • 05-08-2014 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

I'm trying to get OpenElec to run on a Dell Inspiron 5100 seies with the following specs

Intel pentium 4 @ 2.66GHz
    1GB of Ram
    512 KB L2 cache
    ATI Radeon 7500
    32MB of video memory
    15" XGA display
    Sigmatel 9750 audio controller
    30 GB hard disk

It seems to stall on a blank screen with just the pointer visible and nothing else.

If I try to install Xubuntu it defaults into the ubuntu base OS after making several attempts (showing the splash screen to XBMC).

Pretty much the same result if I install XBMC from the repos on any distro I have tried - x/k/lubuntu, mint, linux lite, zorinOS.

I would have thought that there is enough resources in the above to run XBMC if it could run all the distros i've tried.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Do any of the OS run off a live CD?

If yes, it's possible your sata controller setting within the BIOS needs to be changed.

If no, selecting the install method on the grub menu, hit escape and it should proimpt you to press "e" on any of the options and remove the "quiet splash" so that it will give you a lot more debug logging on screen for you to see where things are going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Kenitic,

Did you mean pata controller? It's a 10yr old laptop. At any rate the bios has no hd controller configurations.

I'll try your suggestion with the grub menu and see if that shows up anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You did not say how you did the 'install' or what partitions you made available, or indeed what boot manager you used or the boot codes used to boot Openelec.

You should also check the video settings, if possible ...... the 32MB video allowance is hardly sufficient for any good output resolution ..... so what is XBMC resolution set to?

Advertisement