Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't rehome a dog from Dogs Trust because we work

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I do tend to roll my eyes when people who have outside dogs justify keeping them out by saying that as soon as they bring the dog inside they are unhappy, panting and looking to get back outside. Certainly that may be the case to begin with but give them a few consecutive evenings inside and my guess would be that most of these outside dogs will begin to adapt to being inside and given the choice I believe they'd much prefer to be inside curled up with their pack than stuck out in the back garden looking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

I have 2 big dogs that are both inside and outside dogs - basically if they want to come in they are let in and if they want to go out they are let out! I cant stand when people keep dogs outside and the dog CLEARLY wants to come inside but they arent let, they are shooed away from the back door. One of them is beside me now snoring on the couch but in an hours time she might be at the end of the garden digging in a pool of muck :D

We have almost an acre of a garden but its not enclosed (yet!) nor do we have gates up - new house in the country. The dogs always stay around the back if they are out but we always keep an eye on them - if we have to go out or our work hours clash they are put into their large run which leads into their "house" in the garage. Sometimes they will rather go in there to sleep than come into the house but we leave it totally up to them!

OP you definatly sound like you have a lot to give a rescue dog so please dont give up in the hope of getting one. I was bawling reading about Oz :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Vel wrote: »
    I do tend to roll my eyes when people who have outside dogs justify keeping them out by saying that as soon as they bring the dog inside they are unhappy, panting and looking to get back outside. Certainly that may be the case to begin with but give them a few consecutive evenings inside and my guess would be that most of these outside dogs will begin to adapt to being inside.

So allow them to pant and be unhappy until they 'adapt'???
    Is that for betterment of the dog or for the owners piece of mind???

What constitutes an outside dog? For example my dogs are in their kennel at the moment as I am not at home, when I do get home they will be inside and sleep inside, they don't however sleep inside in the summer. There are some nights were 2 of my dogs will circle the sitting room panting and are clearly uncomfortable with the heat so I'll let them out for an hour to cool down and then bring them back in, they will bolt out as soon as the back door is open to keep them inside would not be fair.
    Are my dogs inside dogs, outside dogs or a little of both, I don't know but I do know they are happy. As I have said before if I thought for a second they weren't happy and healthy I would of course change their living conditions but this is not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

sionnaic wrote: »
    Well they were pretty adamant about refusing us based on a 3 min conversation and a quick scan of our application form. We were given no indication that there was any leeway. And it's not like we looked or sounded dodgy or anything!! Two more boringly average normal looking middle class type people you never did see... :D

And regardless of their policies (which they are entitled to) - they can insist on only rehoming to the most ideal homes if they wish and more power to them (even if I don't agree with it) - but what I can't excuse was their attitude towards us...that really upset me. We both walked out of that centre feeling like crap and more than a little stunned at their reaction.

Did you take this up with them at the time or have you written since ?. It is clearly against DT policy. They cannot be upsetting many people & rehoming so many dogs. Why not write/email them explaining how you were treated ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

We got our puppy last year. When I filled in the application form at the dog rescue I said we would have him in the shed but because it was a puppy they would not re-home him to an outside home. We really liked the little guy so we all agreed to have him inside until he was old enough to live outside in a fully insulated kennel that we had made for him.

We were too far away from them to do a home check but I had volunteered for them before so luckily they believed me and didnt just think I lied to get the dog.

He then got very sick and lived inside until may. Our fire was going 24hrs a day at one point because he was basically skin and bone due to parvo. When he finally went outside to sleep we put extra insulation on his kennel and used a heat lamp. Our vet told us it was not necessary as dogs dont need to be kept as warm as people. He now sleeps outside full time. He is outside the house during the day (there is someone at home most of the day) but goes in and out, he bangs on the door at around 5pm if he is not in because he knows dinner is being cooked. At around 9pm if the door is open he leaves the house and goes to his kennel. We have just bought a self heating pad for him too. (http://www.amazon.com/K-9-Keeper-Sleeper-Crate-Pad/dp/B0002DHHXS ) And extra blankets for when it gets frosty. If the weather is similar to last year he will probably be in on the really bad nights.

He is a collie cross and would definitly not be suited to a home were there was no one at home all day.

I would have been upset if they had just said no going by my application and not asked if we could change the circumstances to get the dog we wanted. Our dog is the most spoilt dog ever!

At the same time we got our dog my friend bought a westie pup. She worked all day so just fed him twice a day even tho she was told to feed him 4 times. The poor dog was left inside all day on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

When we were both working full time the dog would be alone from 7.30am - 6pm with a walk in the middle. (indoors) It wasn't ideal at all, but couldn't be helped for 3 days a week. However when we got in, he'd have his walk then spend the rest of the evening curled up in the sitting room with us. I can understand in a home where someone is in all day for the dog to be in and out and sleep outdoors, but if you're gone all day, then your dog goes out at night, don't you feel like you're only getting a couple of hours with them every day?

rabbit.84 wrote: »
    We have just bought a self heating pad for him too. (http://www.amazon.com/K-9-Keeper-Sleeper-Crate-Pad/dp/B0002DHHXS

Self heating ?. Just seems like a normal dog bed to me. Where does the heat come from ?. I assumed from the name that it was an electric heat pad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Whispered wrote: »
    but if you're gone all day, then your dog goes out at night, don't you feel like you're only getting a couple of hours with them every day?
    How would it be getting time with you when you're asleep in bed? People whose dogs are out during the day and sleep outside, but who are in from the time they get home until the time they go to bed get exactly the same amount of time and attention as a dog owned by someone who keeps them inside while they're at work and in bed. You can't do much interacting with your dog when you're in your bedroom and they're in the kitchen.

Discodog wrote: »
    Self heating ?. Just seems like a normal dog bed to me. Where does the heat come from ?. I assumed from the name that it was an electric heat pad.

There is an insert that you buy for that bed. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DHHFG/ref=asc_df_B0002DHHFG1321937?tag=thefind0008828-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B0002DHHFG&linkCode=asn
    added the wrong link earlier

• Advertisement

Does the insert go in a microwave ?. It appears to be some reflective foil that is supposed to reflect the dog's body heat. I find these to be the best.

http://www.petnap.co.uk/acatalog/pet_heat_pads.html#a30

If you plug them in via a simple thermostatic adapter (from B&Q) they will come on automatically when the temperature falls below the level that you set.

I can understand in a home where someone is in all day for the dog to be in and out and sleep outdoors, but if you're gone all day, then your dog goes out at night, don't you feel like you're only getting a couple of hours with them every day?

The dog comes in at 8am for an hour.. then he stands by the door to be left out. He is brought for a walk around 11. He needs at least 2 hours of someone throwing a tennis ball for him during the day. We usually take turns as we normally tire before the dog. Then he gets another walk. He is a collie cross and needs mental stimulation not to be left sitting in a house all day. During the summer if the kitchen door is open he will sit outside and not in the kitchen. Does it not feel a bit like trapping them in if you never leave them outside. If he wants to come in he bangs on the door and hes allowed in straight away.

Discodog wrote: »
    Does the insert go in a microwave ?. It appears to be some reflective foil that is supposed to reflect the dog's body heat. I find these to be the best.

http://www.petnap.co.uk/acatalog/pet_heat_pads.html#a30

If you plug them in via a simple thermostatic adapter (from B&Q) they will come on automatically when the temperature falls below the level that you set.

no it reflects his heat back up to him. My mother tried it out yesterday when we were outside for ages to make sure it works. We have some feral cats too so are going to get one for them aswell. I would be afraid to have something electric as he normally chews his beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kylith wrote: »
    How would it be getting time with you when you're asleep in bed? People whose dogs are out during the day and sleep outside, but who are in from the time they get home until the time they go to bed get exactly the same amount of time and attention as a dog owned by someone who keeps them inside while they're at work and in bed. You can't do much interacting with your dog when you're in your bedroom and they're in the kitchen.
    In my position I'd feel like I'm banishing him or something because I spend almost no time out our back and he's only out there for an hour or two a day. It's not a part of his house if you know what I mean. So while I'm not interacting with him when I'm in my bedroom, he's still in his house. But then he's not used to being out so it's different.

Most people I know who have an outdoor dog have a "doggy" bedtime, an hour or 2 before they go, so in that case I'd miss the extra time. I was only asking if people felt like that because I'd imagine I would.
    rabbit.84 wrote: »
    The dog comes in at 8am for an hour.. then he stands by the door to be left out. He is brought for a walk around 11. He needs at least 2 hours of someone throwing a tennis ball for him during the day. We usually take turns as we normally tire before the dog. Then he gets another walk. He is a collie cross and needs mental stimulation not to be left sitting in a house all day. During the summer if the kitchen door is open he will sit outside and not in the kitchen. Does it not feel a bit like trapping them in if you never leave them outside. If he wants to come in he bangs on the door and hes allowed in straight away.
    I wasn't specificially asking about your dog btw in case you think I was. Just a general observation/question. But no, when your dogs home is indoors and that where he likes to be it doesn't feel like "trapping" them in so long as they get sufficient exercise, no more than I feel trapped in my house. It's my home, why would I feel trapped?

EDIT: Sorry for OT post I thought I was posting in the "what do you think of outdoor dogs" thread. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Most people I know who have an outdoor dog have a "doggy" bedtime, an hour or 2 before they go, so in that case I'd miss the extra time. I was only asking if people felt like that because I'd imagine I would.

In my case the dogs stay in until I am going to bed, then I would put them out. In saying that though they have been in for the last week or so at night because it has been so cold but on milder nights I would have them in the house right up until I was going upstairs. As I work full time I try to squeeze in as much time with them as I can, if I have to run errands I do them on my break time in work so I can go straight home and walk the dogs, my life really does revolve around them!:)

Advertisement