Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

13 instances of svchost.exe

• 02-06-2009 3:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's a sign of something being wrong or is it just typical crappy Vista?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,138 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What is svchost.exe?

The file svchost.exe is the Generic Host Process for Win32 Services used for administering 16-bit-based dynamically linked library files (DLL files) including other supplementary support applications.

As operating systems became more complex Microsoft decided to run more software functionality from a dynamic link library (DLL) interface. However DLLs are unable to launch themselves and require at least one executable program, i.e. svchost.exe, is needed to bridge between the library process and the operating system.

Through the solitary file svchost.exe, the DLLs efficiently contain and dispense Win32 services as well as neatly facilitate the execution of svchost.exe’s own operations. Acting as a host, the file svchost.exe creates multiple instances of itself. The multiple executions of the file svchost.exe contribute to the stability and security of the operating system by reducing the possibility of a crashing process that causes a domino effect on its neighbor processes, thereby creating a system-wide crash in the machine.

In short, its why its been many, many years, since my computer has unexpectedly "locked up" and I was forced to power-cycle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

So it's just typical windows rubbish? Thought so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Wouldn't quite call it "typical windows rubbish" as it's sorta necessary for the operation of the computer. If you're having some form of problem with Vista (other than the generic view that it's rubbish) perhaps you should post it, along with your system specs, and someone may be able to help you out. While Vista does have a lot of svchost.exe instances running (can't remember off the top of my head how many are on mine) I would be surprised if there isn't at least one type of malware out there which could disguise itself as such.

If you're in any doubt about your system run a scan on it either with the online eset scanner or with hijack this and post the report here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Actually I got a nasty worm which almost resulted in a reinstall. Swallowed my bandwidth, stopped ZA and AVG from running etc. It ran under the title of svchost I believe.

amacachi wrote: »
    So it's just typical windows rubbish? Thought so.
    Typical windows ingenuity for the most part. There used to be in older OSs just one instance of svchost but that offered no redundancy, and if it went down usually the rest of the processes fell down with it. Its a rather core element of process management on your machine afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

How did you realise that you had a worm? I have mcafee and am hoping this will sort me out and keep me protected. Is this too naïve ?

If your McAfee is up to date you should be alright.

Advertisement