Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Safety for my kids?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭

So what programs do you guys use for looking out for your kids? What would you recommend?
    I'm clueless about what free program to try.Only one i have heard of is net nanny.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭TechieEddy

I'd recommend K9 Web Protection. It's free and very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

TechieEddy wrote: »
    I'd recommend K9 Web Protection. It's free and very reliable.

I use this on the family pc to stop my younger brothers looking at stuff they shouldn't, its free with registration.
    Its a bit strict and blocks social networking like bebo and also blocks youtube. These are ok (I think) and you can customise it to allow these sites if you wish.
    Warning tho, it only works with internet explorer so uninstall all other browsers on your pc, didn't take my brothers long to find out they could view anything they liked on firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

Thanks lads for the swift replies.I'll give that a go:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

And to add to that, this program is no good if you let the kids log on to the computer with administrator access. If you do, password it and set them up with a user account so they can not make changes.

Also set your screensaver for a few minutes and set it to lock the computer so if you walk away to go to the toilet or something, the computer will lock before your kids jump on and make changes (if they are old enough to know how).

Never assume you know more about computers than your kids as chances are you do not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the useful information.

There are many websites which offer free internet safety tips.

Would it help if we read your book. Only costs 24.97!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement