Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best shell for RDP

Options
  • 19-08-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just got delivery of a new dedi server running Ubuntu 12.04, what desktop shell do ye recommend for an RDP session from a Windows PC?

I was using Xfce on my old box, but just want to see if there is anything better out there from ye linux nerds :p

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

KDE. It looks very nice and has a lot of handy tools and extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

thanks, but quick question if you don't mind

whats the story with replacing shells and checking them out? do you have to first remove Unity \ Gnome \ etc

before installing a new shell?

bedlam wrote: »
    No you can install multiple DE or WM and select the one to test or use on the login screen

ahh but you see I can't change it at login, as I only have remote access to it

so I use RD or VNC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

kingtiger wrote: »
    ahh but you see I can't change it at login, as I only have remote access to it

so I use RD or VNC

How do you log in to it?

syklops wrote: »
    How do you log in to it?

used to use FreeNX but i couldn't get the mobile app working so I changed to RDP

it works great apart from sometimes I get a slow screen refresh rate, thats why I would like to change the desktop to see does the refresh rate improve

so back onto looking at different desktops, could I create another user and login to putty under the newly created user and install the desktop? then login with an RDP client using this newly created account?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Given the reversed client-server nature of X does it actually matter what desktop is installed on the host?
    I've not actually used a remote desktop in about 4-5 years so I cannot remember the details... from windows I mostly just use a putty shell these days - no desktop.

croo wrote: »
    Given the reversed client-server nature of X does it actually matter what desktop is installed on the host?
    I've not actually used a remote desktop in about 4-5 years so I cannot remember the details... from windows I mostly just use a putty shell these days - no desktop.

yes i think you maybe right about the nature of XDP, as it was always in the back of my mind what you posted
    but I have tried a couple of desktops and think I like using the cut down version of Xfce the most

Croo I do love using SSH to install apps among other things, I am only at Linux for the last couple of months but really enjoying it and hope to keep reading and becoming compantant at using the OS

Advertisement