Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 1 black moor goldfish ok in a 14 gallon

Options
  • 27-08-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I have a 14 gallon tank with a black moor goldfish that I love dearly. I recently got a fluval U2 filter which is installed and I have the old filter which I have running to seed the new filter with beneficial bacteria. I got it as the old filter is a sponge on stick filter but I wanted carbon sponge and biomax to have proper filtration now in fearness the water is very clean so I believe she is fine in this aquarium. She is very healthy as she has all the signs of a healthy fish. I keep up with water changes and maintenance. Will Kensi my black moor goldfish be alright. Thanks.

P.S forgive me if wrong category I couldn't find a category for pets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

She will be fine just be prepared to buy a bigger tank soon when she starts to get bigger, 14g or 54litres (considering in Ireland we use litres ....) can get polluted very quickly even with a filter, just be aware of that.

A nice 120l 3foot rank would do her brilliantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

She will be fine just be prepared to buy a bigger tank soon when she starts to get bigger, 14g or 54litres (considering in Ireland we use litres ....) can get polluted very quickly even with a filter, just be aware of that.

A nice 120l 3foot rank would do her brilliantly!

She's 6 inches long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    She's 6 inches long

6 Inches is too big already for that tank.

Time to upscale.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    6 Inches is too big already for that tank.

Time to upscale.

I have 60 gallons of filtration and she's happy out. I don't have money to upgrade if she starts to go downhill health wise I'll do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

She's 6 inches long

How old is she? And what size tank was she in previously? I would've thought she would've needed to be in a fairly large tank to grow that large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I have 60 gallons of filtration and she's happy out. I don't have money to upgrade if she starts to go downhill health wise I'll do something about it.

It's not the filtration that's important here.

If you had a 6 inch fish in a 6 inch lunchbox with 100 gallon filtration, would you still consider it happy out?

A 14 gallon tank for a 6 inch fish is far too small.

The average 14 gallon tank (even with the long format ones) is on average 24x12x12.

Assuming it is bare empty, with no ornaments, the fish has little swimming room. It grows much more than that and the thing will be turning on the spot.

That black moor, properly cared for will live for 10 years, but in the hobby usually only makes it to 1-2 due to poor care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tjeln

I love Black moors.
    As a general rule of thumb the bare minimum you'd want is 20 gal or 30 gal for the larger varieties of fancy goldfish.

Ok I'll think of upgrading in the future. Thanks

Advertisement