Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crucial CT250 BX100 250 GB SATA 2.5-Inch Internal Solid State Drive with Adapter, £69

• 28-02-2015 12:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭

Latest model from crucial, 3 years warranty back in stock .

Outlast and outperform your hard drive.

Boot up almost instantly. Load programs in seconds. And accelerate demanding applications with ease. It all starts with ditching your hard drive. Engineered to outperform a hard drive and deliver cost-effective performance, the Crucial BX100 leverages advanced flash memory technology and moves your computer beyond the outdated storage limitations of spinning discs. By transmitting data in a digital manner rather than having to seek it out on a spinning platter, the Crucial BX100 is over 15x faster, 2x more reliable, and 2x more energy efficient than a typical hard drive.

Specifications

Capacity - 250GB

Sequential Read - 535 MB/s

Sequential Write - 370 MB/s

4KB Random Read - 87,000 IOPS

4KB Random Write - 70,000 IOPS

Type - 2.5 inch

Height - 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter)

Memory Type - Micron 16nm MLC NAND

Controller - Silicon Motion SM2246EN with Crucial Custom Firmware

Interface - SATA 6Gbps (SATA III)

MTTF - 1.5 million hours

Endurance - Total Bytes Written (TBW): 72TBW, equal to 40GB per day for 5 years

Operating Temperature - 0C to 70C

Advanced Features - Thermal Monitoring, Data Path Protection, Active Garbage Collection, Trim Support, Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology (SMART), Error Correction Code (ECC)

Compliance - CE, FCC, BSMI, C-Tick, VCCI, Kcc, RoHS, China RoHS, WEEE, TUV, UL, SATA-IO

Box Contains

Crucial BX100 SSD
    9.5mm adapter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Would I be wasting my time fitting one of these when the motherboard is only SATA II?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

SataII is up to 3 Gbps. It's still a huge improvement over hdd. If you're not a hardcore nerd you'll still be happy with your ssd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Would I be wasting my time fitting one of these when the motherboard is only SATA II?

If you don't already have an ssd this will be orders of magnitude faster on any version of SATA, you won't have to put worry about fragmented files / registry ever again. Benchmarks are all well and good but in the real world you probably won't notice much difference with sats II vs III in day to day usage.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110-7.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I bought a 120gb drive for £50 2 days ago :( God dammit. I don't think I need 3 SSDs

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

moodrater wrote: »
    If you don't already have an ssd this will be orders of magnitude faster on any version of SATA, you won't have to put worry about fragmented files / registry ever again. Benchmarks are all well and good but in the real world you probably won't notice much difference with sats II vs III in day to day usage.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110-7.html

That article was posted over 3 years ago and ssd's have come a long way since then. Putting this drive in a sata II port will reduce the sequential read & write to below 300MB/s. I've seen benchmarks of an samsung 840 evo ssd on sata II's hit around 265MB/s read and 245MB/s write. The read on this drive would be greatly bottlenecked and since the read is more important that write's there would be noticeable difference vs placed in a sata III mobo. Its still going to be a big difference vs a HDD though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

sdowling04 wrote: »
    That article was posted over 3 years ago and ssd's have come a long way since then. Putting this drive in a sata II port will reduce the sequential read & write to below 300MB/s. I've seen benchmarks of an samsung 840 evo ssd on sata II's hit around 265MB/s read and 245MB/s write. The read on this drive would be greatly bottlenecked and since the read is more important that write's there would be noticeable difference vs placed in a sata III mobo. Its still going to be a big difference vs a HDD though!

Running a SATA3 SSD on a SATA2 board for years. The reality is, that for most users they wont notice the difference between those read/write speeds. They'll still be blown away by the difference.

As for the bargain, it's amazing. If I wasn't poor right now I would most definitely buy one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Showing at £83.91 for me and 'Sorry, this Seller doesn’t deliver to Ireland. so PM to be added as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Showing at £83.91 for me and 'Sorry, this Seller doesn’t deliver to Ireland. so PM to be added as well.

Nope, £71.75 (give-or-take €100 when converted) direct from amazon.co.uk if you click on "31 new from £69.99".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

sdowling04 wrote: »
    The read on this drive would be greatly bottlenecked and since the read is more important that write's there would be noticeable difference vs placed in a sata III mobo. Its still going to be a big difference vs a HDD though!

Of course theres a bottleneck but doubling sequential read has only a fraction of that effect on the perceived speed in day to day use use i.e. booting, browsing, loading programs, editing documents, printing, listening to music, watching cat videos on youtube. Its cheap and if he upgrades/replaces his computer later he can transfer the drive to the new computer anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

Amazon deal of the day for Tuesday, now £59.99.

Libera wrote: »
    Amazon deal of the day for Tuesday, now £59.99.

Nice one. Just ordered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RQA6TEI/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭thomqs

it says 59 now in op's link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I really don't need this, but I've ordered it anyway. Comes in at ~€85

The Bargain Alerts effect strikes again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

stimpson wrote: »
    I really don't need this, but I've ordered it anyway. Comes in at ~€85

The Bargain Alerts effect strikes again.

I usually put these bargains i cant resist in my basket,that seems to calm me down till i build up a bit of resistance

Damn that's a good price...

I'll have to pass on this occasion, but no doubt the prices will start to fall to this level across the board in the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭thekerrycyclist

Thanks OP. I have been on the lookout for a while. Just ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

ninty wrote: »
    I usually put these bargains i cant resist in my basket,that seems to calm me down till i build up a bit of resistance

Yeah, but it had a clock counting down the time until the offer was over. Stupid psychology...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

60 GBP for 250gb.. That is a bargain.. ohh BA i can't decide only 12hours left for this offer hmmmm....

5star02707 wrote: »
    60 GBP for 250gb.. That is a bargain.. ohh BA i can't decide only 12hours left for this offer hmmmm....

This is BA - buy first, decide later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The 500Gig one is £138 with Prime( so free delivery ) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT500BX100SSD1-2-5-Inch-Internal-Adapter/dp/B00RQA6M5Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1427201628&sr=1-2&keywords=Crucial+CT500

( was just curious as i just bought a 250Gig Crucial in January )

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just a word of advice for people buying on Amazon UK, always check out in GBP rather than Euro. That way, you save a few bob on Amazon's crappy exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tomasL

Thanks. Was looking for SSD drive and here we go. Great price for that size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Went for this, thanks op. Gonna soup up an old laptop now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

If you have a desktop with SATA 2, you can get a PCI-E (x1) card that allows you to plug in an SSD and get decent speeds from it.

I just removed mine after buying/building a new PC, but I can get the exact make/model I used if anyone wants it.

Made a huge difference on my old PC (30-ish seconds from pressing power button, to browsing the web).

Wez wrote: »
    If you have a desktop with SATA 2, you can get a PCI-E (x1) card that allows you to plug in an SSD and get decent speeds from it.

I just removed mine after buying/building a new PC, but I can get the exact make/model I used if anyone wants it.

Made a huge difference on my old PC (30-ish seconds from pressing power button, to browsing the web).

Even running it through SATA2 is fine! I've been running mine for years and it boots in 20 seconds to Windows 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

for those who look to buy ssd drives,with old MBs that have sata2 look into bios to make sure it supports AHCI instead of IDE+sata or simillar,since some manufacturers skipped out on chip that supports it,as there's a really massive drop in performance if there's no AHCI support in bios-tested my 840 evo and didn't even get half performance in read write modes.

Basically had to get new setup since mobo was 5 y old,and performance was barely noticeable comparing with hdd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

http://www.amazon.it/Crucial-SSD-512GB-MX100-5mm/dp/B00KFAGCUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427413768&sr=8-1&keywords=crucial+mx100+512

Superior MX100 version, 512gb . €196 from Italian amazon inc delivery. use same login details as UK amazon but delivery a bit longer. €260 on Crucial site.
    From what I read, the bigger the drive capacity for ssd the better performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭delboy76

scamalert wrote: »
    for those who look to buy ssd drives,with old MBs that have sata2 look into bios to make sure it supports AHCI instead of IDE+sata or simillar,since some manufacturers skipped out on chip that supports it,as there's a really massive drop in performance if there's no AHCI support in bios-tested my 840 evo and didn't even get half performance in read write modes.

Basically had to get new setup since mobo was 5 y old,and performance was barely noticeable comparing with hdd.

I have an old Dell latitude D620 and it does not have AHCI, but the SSD has still made a huge difference. Still worth it for me anyway.

Advertisement