Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TP link Archer C8 ac router - £58

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Up to 99.98 now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

will allow you to access the full speed of the 240mb UPC connection wirelessly if you have it.

Does this mean I can swap out the router+modem combo box UPC supply you with and plug this in instead? Or would I still have to put the UPC box in bridge mode and connect this "downstream"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Does this mean I can swap out the router+modem combo box UPC supply you with and plug this in instead? Or would I still have to put the UPC box in bridge mode and connect this "downstream"?

The latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭PressTheButton

TP-LINK ARCHER C8 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router

Amazon Deal Price: £57.99
    £59.45 at checkout after Irish VAT calculated.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OZG8ZDO/ref=gbps_img_s-3_5227_cfaa2a17?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=899825227&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0K7FD2KGTF9RVM9SM64S

Dispatched from and sold by Amazon so free delivery to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

TP-LINK ARCHER C8 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router

Amazon Deal Price: £57.99
    £59.45 at checkout after Irish VAT calculated.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OZG8ZDO/ref=gbps_img_s-3_5227_cfaa2a17?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=899825227&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0K7FD2KGTF9RVM9SM64S

Dispatched from and sold by Amazon so free delivery to Ireland.

Cheers for the tip, I was only looking at getting one of these last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

What's the benefit of this if you need to have the exising UPC / Virgin Cable modem in place also?

Does it provide better (more stable) WIFI?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

I got 7 pounds off by purchasing a 30 pound Amazon gift card.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057559694&page=2

Have a look at post 18.

The 7 pounds (code by email) should arrive 24 hours after you buy the gift card.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

quazzy wrote: »
    What's the benefit of this if you need to have the exising UPC / Virgin Cable modem in place also?

I had dreadful problems with the Mediahub 3 (i.e. the Compal unit) dropping connections randomly- and refusing to accept reconnections. I also had some issues with coverage/range (given I have quite a few masonry walls in the place). I put a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 on the Mediahub in bridge mode- and haven't looked back.

The TP Link Archer is an AC router- similar to the Mediahub- so if your mediahub is working properly- in theory you'd not see any major reason to use a separate wifi router (theory and practice are of course completely different things.........)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 steo67

I had dreadful problems with the Mediahub 3 (i.e. the Compal unit) dropping connections randomly- and refusing to accept reconnections. I also had some issues with coverage/range (given I have quite a few masonry walls in the place). I put a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 on the Mediahub in bridge mode- and haven't looked back.

The TP Link Archer is an AC router- similar to the Mediahub- so if your mediahub is working properly- in theory you'd not see any major reason to use a separate wifi router (theory and practice are of course completely different things.........)

I bought one of these to help the stability of my UPC but it made it appeared to make it worst, when the UPC dropped off it would take longer to reconnect , instead of reconnecting straight away. I'm with sky now and have no issues with dropping off, so I don't really need mine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

If I have eircom, would I connect it on eircom's router via ethernet and then connect all my devices to the TP link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

YanisK wrote: »
    If I have eircom, would I connect it on eircom's router via ethernet and then connect all my devices to the TP link?

You could if you use it in 'access point' mode OR you could possibly bridge your eir(ne eircom) router and use this as a 'full' router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Netgear Nighthawk R8000 is an AC router too ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

VeVeX wrote: »
    Netgear Nighthawk R8000 is an AC router too ?

Yup- I got it secondhand on ebay from the states

Having 3 separate radios is helpful- and I use the 5Ghz band almost exclusively thanks to all the 2.4Ghz routers in the neighbourhood here (18 separate routers show up on this laptop- including 3 free South Dublin Co. Co. signals for example- and 11 of them at over 60% signal strength- including nextdoors HP printer- which for some strange reason they've no security on- endless fun sending all manner of weird things to it........).

The list of reasons for paying a bit extra and getting a decent router- is longer than my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭PressTheButton

quazzy wrote: »

"Guide – Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service" by bk

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93969317#post93969317

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭losttheplot

Thanks for posting the price drop Pressthebutton

I get poor wifi from the Ubee EVW3226 that UPC gave me for their 240mb package. I bought the Archer C8 router to work with the Ubee EVW3226 but having done some more reading on boards I understand that the latest Vodafone firmware does not permit the Ubee EVW3226 to be put into bridge mode. The guide by bk is excellent on routers for network clueless people like me.

"Guide – Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service" by bk
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...7#post93969317

I need to know though if I should get a new modem to get the most out of the C8 or will the Ubee EVW3226 be fine as it is. If I need a new modem are there any suitable recommended ones available from Argos or Amazon etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Thanks for posting the price drop Pressthebutton

I get poor wifi from the Ubee EVW3226 that UPC gave me for their 240mb package. I bought the Archer C8 router to work with the Ubee EVW3226 but having done some more reading on boards I understand that the latest Vodafone firmware does not permit the Ubee EVW3226 to be put into bridge mode. The guide by bk is excellent on routers for network clueless people like me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...7#post93969317

I need to know though if I should get a new modem to get the most out of the C8 or will the Ubee EVW3226 be fine as it is. If I need a new modem are there any suitable recommended ones available from Argos or Amazon etc ?

With UPC you cannot replace the UPC modem with a modem of your choice. Also, as you say yourself, you cannot put Ubee modem in bridge mode (at least not without a lot of hassle). Therefore the only option would be to request UPC to issue you with a new modem that can be bridged.

I posted the query on the talk to Virgin forum and got the following....

In regards to extending your WiFi range with another router this is totally possible by connecting a 3rd party router to our modem, bridging isn't needed for that, it may cause a double NAT as you'd be running two in home networks side by side but if you're just looking to extend wireless range that shouldn't be an issue.

clevtrev wrote: »
    I posted the query on the talk to Virgin forum and got the following....

In regards to extending your WiFi range with another router this is totally possible by connecting a 3rd party router to our modem, bridging isn't needed for that, it may cause a double NAT as you'd be running two in home networks side by side but if you're just looking to extend wireless range that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the advice and info.
    I will wait and see how everything works out with the Archer C8 and the EVW3226 - hopefully the Archer C8 network will solve wi-fi issues and I wont need to request a new modem.

I suggested a new modem and I was told that I would need to upgrade to 360mb for an extra tenner per month to get one!

I suggested a new modem and I was told that I would need to upgrade to 360mb for an extra tenner per month to get one!

Do you "perhaps" have a HP Deskjet 3050 printer by any chance?

read to end of this post..

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057524712/1#post97790522

• Advertisement

Do you "perhaps" have a HP Deskjet 3050 printer by any chance?

read to end of this post..

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057524712/1#post97790522
    I could have but would have to scrape the canon stickers off it first:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I understand that the latest Vodafone firmware does not permit the Ubee EVW3226 to be put into bridge mode.

Have you tried? Works fine here on version EVW3226_1.0.20

Thanks will check that out. Of course I meant to say Virgin media firmware not Vodafone firmware in my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I could have but would have to scrape the canon stickers off it first:)

They won't have access to your local network so tell them whatever you like

go on then Crabby tell us how you did it. Assume you had to get on them customer service to get access. Dont have the energy for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

go on then Crabby tell us how you did it. Assume you had to get on them customer service to get access. Dont have the energy for that

/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgSystemSwitchMode

e.g.
    http://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgSystemSwitchMode
    http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgSystemSwitchMode
    http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgSystemSwitchMode

Advertisement