Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snowboarding????

Options
  • 17-11-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

So
    I got a good deal today for soll on the 10 of jan I am going solo so I am using this as a chance to learn to snow board.

Have been skiing before so have the goggles, jacket pants, gloves and base layers.

What else do i need? imagine that I I will spend much of this holiday falling on my ass so do i need those padded pants thingeys? if so can you recommend me a product?

Also helmets rent of buy?

wrist protectors?

thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

In terms of a helmet, I would always be wary of renting a helmet. You never know how many knocks the helmet has already received (and that goes for any head gear/sport).

Ideally you should be wearing a helmet while skiing anyway, so I'd recommend you invest in one. Other posters may disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

Been boarding for a while, would definitely recommend a helmet, knee pads and butt guard (any form of cushion will do).

Have always had wrist protectors but never worn them, my knees for some reason always got the worst of any falls.

You can spend big money on butt guards, but a folded towel offers the same protection at a fraction of the cost, wearing a backpack is also a good idea as this will protect your back in the harder landings . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Any impact shorts will do. Buy a helmet if you are going to keep up the winter sports. Otherwise at least rent one. Knee pads are a must for a first timer imo. I still wear them after many many trips. Wrist guards if you want. I've broken wrist guards and I've also broken my wrist/arm in 3 places. I still wear them but now I use level biomex guards.

You will fall and probably a lot. Avoid the yellow and sometimes green bruises. Impact shorts and knee pads - you won't notice the falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

In terms of a helmet, I would always be wary of renting a helmet. You never know how many knocks the helmet has already received (and that goes for any head gear/sport).

Ideally you should be wearing a helmet while skiing anyway, so I'd recommend you invest in one. Other posters may disagree.

Nope rental shops that provide helmets have a special machine they go into after use to check for cracks and damage, they also have to replace them after a certain amount of uses.!!

Its a personal choice weather you wear one or not, your head your business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

When I learned I spent more time landing on my knees than my ass, it may have been the particular excercise yer man had us doing, heel-side slideslipping (toe-edge leading, moving straight down the slope, with heel-edge dug in), then the same way doing that Falling Leaf excercise. I didn't have knee-guards and the only way I can describe the pain at the end of the day was "white" - intense, sharp and crippling, I fell on my knees one last time on the way home and I thought I was going to cry! So yeah, wear kneepads, I went and got myself a pair the following day.

Also, better safe than sorry, wear the wrist guards, you'll barely notice them after a day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You're right Fattes, rental shops are supposed to check each return but some shops take shortcuts, so I personally would never take a chance.
    Fattes wrote: »
    Nope rental shops that provide helmets have a special machine they go into after use to check for cracks and damage, they also have to replace them after a certain amount of uses.!!

Its a personal choice weather you wear one or not, your head your business!

Forgot to say, regarding wrist guards - them and my helmet are the only protection I wear (all the time) nowadays. So I personally would prioritise wearing them.

My boss would probably fire me if I broke my wrists. :eek:

Also, if you have dodgy knees, or if they feel weak, wear the neoprene supports you can get in chemists, they're only about €15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

thanks for that guys lets hope that I can fit into all this stuff!

Still thinking about buying snowboarding boots in tk-max

sheesh wrote: »

I would for the price if they are a really good fit. Rental boots will always suck.

You can find yourself wearing an incredible amount of gear - starting from the bottom up, on a cold day, someone learning could wear: socks, underpants, long-johns, knee supports, knee pads, padded shorts, pants, long sleeved vest (?) t-shirt, wrist guards, gloves, jacket, backpack, face mask, goggles, and last but not least, helmet.

Did I miss anything?

Some of that stuff you'll only wear starting out, and on colder days.

Buy the boots. Only thing is, between them and your helmet, you'll find it a tight fit in your standard 20-25k luggage suitcase.

But then that gives you the perfect excuse to buy a board and bag to hold everything in, nice and neat :D

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »

Buy the boots. Only thing is, between them and your helmet, you'll find it a tight fit in your standard 20-25k luggage suitcase.

They are snowboarding boots, just wear them on the bloody flight!!! :):):)

Fattes wrote: »
    They are snowboarding boots, just wear them on the bloody flight!!! :):):)

Besides not wanting to look like BoBo the Clown in departures, I have a board bag that has pockets for boots on the side. I can normally fit everything for the week in the board bag, within the weight allowance, so there's nothing to be gained for me, by wearing the boots.

Oh, if anyone is buying a board/ski bag, get it a few sizes bigger than the board/skis, you'll be able to fit more clothes in. :D

Besides not wanting to look like BoBo the Clown in departures,

Thats part of the Fun ;)

I can normally fit everything for the week in the board bag, within the weight allowance, so there's nothing to be gained for me, by wearing the boots

How, may I ask, is that possible? Need to do the same for my first trip but can't figure it out. I am tempted to wear my boots.

How, may I ask, is that possible? Need to do the same for my first trip but can't figure it out. I am tempted to wear my boots.

Well I got a much bigger bag than my board, so I could fit clothes in (it's also handy for putting clothes at each end to protect the tips of your board) and then I just pack as normal, weighing it from time to time with those digital scales, and adjusting (removing and adding stuff) as you go until you reach your allowance. Aer Lingus allow 23Kg in your sports bag, that may be down from 25Kg last year I think, which is more than enough. If you need to take more just put in your hand luggage, but to be honest I've always had more than enough in the sports equipment allowance.

First few trips I did tend to overpack, shirts, jumpers, black tie, etc.. But now I only bring one pair of jeans (and the ones I'm wearing on the plane) a few t-shirts and a few sweatshirts (I'm married, so I don't have to worry about impressing de burds).

One thing I do to save on carrying luggage is to wear the t-shirt from the previous night on the slopes the following day. I doubt that saves much space/weight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

When I was going to France for a season a few years ago I thought I was flying with Ryanair - who at the time had the magical boardbag weight of 32KG at a great price of €30 each way. Anyways I arrived at Dublin Airport with everything in the boardbag - only to realise that I was flying with Aerlingus and was told that the weight limit then was 15KG

So there I was 17KG overweight with not many options bar wearing everything like Joey from Friends. No problem wearing the Snowboard boots on the plane, some airports claim that helmets (& ski boots) are not allowed as they could be used as weapons but I was fine. I got it down to a few kilos over and the staff felt sorry for me sweating profusely in all of my clothes / gear and let me off another few kilos so it worked in the end.

The second snowboard was not ideal as the hardware and bag alone weigh a tonne!

Getting through security was another matter...

OP - id always recommend getting lessons in Kiltiernan / Ski Centre beforehand. You'll get more out of the trip as learning snowboarding after being able to ski is pretty frustrating and you dont want to waste the guts of a week on your ass - also the better you get before you go, the less protective gear you need!

Id still always recommend a helmet. Impact shorts are ideal for beginners / freestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pascalli2

I used to hate the idea of wearing a helmet, but once I started I realized it's not bad. In fact, it was an easy transition because it just replaced my hat (hat and helmet together are too hot).

I definitely would buy boots if I were you - I once rented a pair of terribly smelly ill-fitting boots that left me miserable and blistered. That's when I swore to never rent again.

For both those items, don't just buy the cheapest/first one you see. Shop around a bit, find quality, comfortable gear and make the investment necessary. It will last longer than the cheap stuff and makes your experience way better.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Pascalli2 wrote: »
    I used to hate the idea of wearing a helmet, but once I started I realized it's not bad. In fact, it was an easy transition because it just replaced my hat (hat and helmet together are too hot).

I definitely would buy boots if I were you - I once rented a pair of terribly smelly ill-fitting boots that left me miserable and blistered. That's when I swore to never rent again.

For both those items, don't just buy the cheapest/first one you see. Shop around a bit, find quality, comfortable gear and make the investment necessary. It will last longer than the cheap stuff and makes your experience way better.

Just my two cents.

I'm thinking of getting those snowboard boots in tkmax they were a good fit when I tried them on I bought a helmet in Aldi (I've been wearing it watching telly) from previous trips I have a huge bag to put it all in hopefully it will be under 20kgs

I've been wearing it watching telly

Safety first. ;)

Advertisement